What Food Scent Drives You Crazy But You Can't Eat It?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jneanz • Apr 13, 2016.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is chorizo. It's a spicy (and sometimes greasy) sausage in mostly beef and pork varieties but occasionally chicken or turkey can be found. The vegetarian (soyrizo) smells good but I can't eat it the same way. I'm trying to stick with seafood and occasional poultry in my diet.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are pork eaters here and one of my favorite is the crispy deep fried pork belly. We call it lechon kawali to mean pork that is fried in a pan. The aroma of lechon kawali is like a magnet to me such that aside from salivating, my mind is automatically searching for rice which is the best match of that dish. And since I have high cholesterol level so I am trying to avoid eating meat of any kind for now.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I think any type of cake or bread! I love my carbs, but I get so fat as soon as they hit my lips. I can not eat them in moderation. If I have one cupcake then I want to eat at least two more right away. I guess I am addicted!

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I love the smell of pizza. If you walk past a pizza shop it always smells so good! Unfortunately I have a dairy allergy so I can't eat them from those sorts of shops. I will occasionally make pizza myself at home but it just isn't the same as how it smells from those sorts of shops!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything with lots of onions, I like the smell but just thinking about putting them in my mouth makes me nauseous. I enjoy a little bit of fried onions on my food - it accents the taste, however a lot it just horrible. If I put too many on my mouth I can't eat the rest of the food.
    Funny how things smell good and you don't like, and others smell bad but you like. It's the case for fish for me. I love eating them. Hate the taste.

6. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Eh... I'm not big on diets and I'll eat anything I want. So, if something smells good to me I'll try it. I guess I'm lucky I don't have any allergies.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For me it's shrimp, tempura, specifically. I actually hate shrimp and I hate the smell of it but for some reason after it's been dipped and deep fried in tempura batter it makes me salivate. The unfortunate thing is that I'm actually allergic to shrimp so I can't have it no matter how much I want it so I usually just settle for fish or vegetable tempura which isn't the same as I've already tasted shrimp tempura and it's really one of a kind.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't have any food allergies of any kind, and I am certainly not dieting at all, so I will eat whatever I want, when I want it.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the smells and flavors of Chinese food but most of the time I can't eat it because Chinese takeout costs at least $15 for my daughter and I, which could go farther if it was used for groceries , so I usually don't spend the money

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not say that there was anything that I think smells amazing that I cannot eat? But I do really enjoy the smell of lasagne, but most of the time minced meat makes me feel sick. I don't like the texture of it, or the taste really. But if I am hungry enough I can eat it and it will go down well. But I would prefer other foods over it for sure.

11. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I love the smell of coconut, but can't stand the taste or texture. I buy coconut scented candles and lotion by the truckload, but I keep trying to eat things containing coconut and hate it so much it makes me ill.

12. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    Honey roasted nuts! I have been allergic to nuts all my life, but when I walk past those little stands in the street that sells honey-roasted peanuts and cashews, the smell just drives me crazy.

I swear, if someone bottled that scent, I would definitely spritz it around my kitchen on a regular basis. Unfortunately, it seems like Yankee Candles is averse to the idea of nut-scented candles :p

13. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Mine is coffee! It always smells so good but when I try it it seems so bitter. I am just not a coffee person, I drink chai tea instead. So much sweeter. I wish coffee tasted the way it smells!

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In my case, the wafting aroma of red meat is addictive especially during the day when one is hungry. But I try to steer clear because I am now well informed of the health implications of red meat with one study equating it to smoking. However, I am not absolute in this regard and sometimes indulge my palate.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love the smell of roasted chicken but I don't like the taste of it. I don't know why but I don't find it delicious. But the smell, oh, I can be prisoned in that smell all day and I won't be complaining. We used to own a family business where we roast chickens and sell them in a little store. And I love being there, even though it's hot and constantly has smoke. Just because I get to smell the roasted chicken in there, haha!

But for chicken, I'd rather have it fried than roasted. I can finish a whole fried chicken in one sitting but even just half a quarter of roasted chicken gets me nauseated. I guess it's the flavouring and the way it was cooked that makes me not love the taste of it.

16. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Lemons and strawberries. I own colognes and there are other air fresheners with both those scents. They have the most wonderful smells in the world but I cannot have the real fruits for snacking because they're either too expensive or not widely available where I'm from. Two pieces of lemons can reach up to over $1 and a one-fourth kilo pack of small, sour strawberries is almost $4. Since they're not native fruits in the Philippines, it's a treat to have them when the nearest grocery store starts selling them.