What Foods Do You Stock Up On?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Rosyrain • Jul 26, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have been trying to shop smarter in an effort to save some money on the grocery bill, but there are some foods that I like to stock up on when they are on sale and keep them on hand until I need them. This includes pasta, canned tomatoes, pasta sauce, tuna, and meat marinades. What do you keep a heavy stock of?

2. surlaw

surlawMember

Threads:
    Rice. It's fairly inexpensive without a sale, but when it's on sale I can't help but stock up. My household has it at least three times a week, simply due to it's versatility. I don't stock up on anything else specifically... but as a general rule of thumb, I only stock up on things that are versatile. Pasta & canned tomatoes are good examples - there's such an abundance of recipes that call for them, and there are so many ways they can be used, it's hard to say no when there's a sale going on.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I stock up on many of the same things you do. I focus on things with long shelf lives but that I already use frequently anyway, so that nothing is likely to go bad. Pasta, canned produce and canned meat, beans, etc, can often be found on sale and are worth stocking up on.

Outside of food, I also stock up on toiletries regularly so that I never run out, but don't spend a small fortune on them at full price either.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do pasta sauce too. I stock beans. They are a hearty meal, great in soups, and I make burgers with them too. They are non perishable, so that is good. They are also quite healthy.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stock up when things are on special or if I know the weather will be bad. I tend to buy cans in bulk as they are easier to store and you don't have to think about storage conditions too much.

I always have pasta and noodles, apple juice, soups, a loaf of bread in the freezer and cans of sweetcorn. With that I can usually whip up meals for a week if I am on a budget.

6. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    In my house we like to stock up on things that don't expire so quickly so we don't need to run to the store every other day. Pasta, rice, canned goods, frozen foods. We buy meat and just freeze it right away. Anything to try and make sure that we save the most amount of money while getting the most out of it. Buying these immediately take out the issue of the foods expiring because they're made to last in the first place. Plus they're cheap.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always stock up on pasta and tinned tomatoes whenever they are on special offer too. In fact, I buy a lot of things in bulk this way, provided that they are things that actually get used and are non-perishable.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy my food a month at a time, so I guess every month is a stock up event. I tend to keep extra canned vegetables and soups on hand, as well as canned beans, tuna, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tuna. I like having those on hand so I can toss several together to make a meal if I'm in a rush or not feeling well.

I plan my meat meals more than anything else, other than salads, since I usually keep the meat frozen, and have to thaw it, and for salads, there's usually more prep work involved, with all the chopping of the different veggies.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stock up on pasta and frozen vegetables because when all else fails, you can add a couple of things to pasta and vegetables and make a meal out of it. I also stock up on cereal, rice and peanut butter because those things are cheap and filling.

10. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Good point about the toiletries. I find their price will vary widly, one day it's 7 cents a roll for good TP and others it's like 70! Plus they don't go bad! I am lucky I have the space to store it too.

11. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    i always try and stock up on tinned goods and sauces. They last for months and it makes it much easier when you do a weekly shop because there is not as much to buy.

I always have things like dried pasta and tinned vegetables in, just in case we run out of fresh goods quickly, It is shocking how tasty some food can be from cans!

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to keep on hand beans, rice, pasta, peanut butter and tuna just in case we have an emergency. Water and soap to keep the body clean is something else we try to keep on hand, we purchase extra when a good sale is at one of the stores we shop at.

13. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    We definitely stock up on things when they're on sale! If they're things you eat often, might as well. We stock up on butter (freeze it), rice, canned soup, frozen meals (mostly Lean Cuisine for me to take to work), frozen burritos, canned tomatoes, Tobasco sauce. And we always try to buy toilet paper when it's on sale in large quantities lol.

14. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    The things I stock up on art usually festivals, like corn, peas, mixed vegetables and those type of things. I used to stock up a lot in the freezer too, but I realized that food would just pay in there forever, because I was too lazy to dig it out at the bottom. At least cans can be moved around easily without developing a case of frostbite.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our usual stock of food are canned food and drinks. We have a cupboard that holds cans of corned beef, spam, sausage, sardines, beans, and other food items like biscuits and instant noodles. In the stock room are our soda and juices of different kinds - cans and bottles. But we also stock on condiments like soy sauce and vinegar. Our reason is so that we need not go to the store for any items in the kitchen.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I stock up on boxes of tea bags to make my own iced tea. Like many others on here mentioned, pasta, crushed tomatoes, tuna, rice and beans are a must. You'll never see my fridge without plenty of eggs, freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, real unsalted butter, a few basic veggies like tomatoes, onions, garlic and fresh parsley, and some lunch meats and cheeses. In my freezer I've always got a bag of frozen peppers and onions, peas and carrots, and corn. I also like to stock on up cheap meats whenever I see them on sale - usually stuff like pork roasts, pork chops, chicken thighs, italian sausages, etc...

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always stock up on items that I can prepare quickly and easily and it is a bonus of those items are healthy. I always have a good amount of vegetable dumplings in the freezer for example for when I need a light snack or don't have anything good to eat at meals. I also stock up on rice because I like having rice with my meals and I also make sure I have canned goods for emergencies.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I stock up on pasta, rice and sauces, as well as frozen foods whenever they're on offer. Sometimes, apart from to get things like bread and milk, I find that I don't have to go to the shops for weeks on end - which is very good news indeed for my purse! I enjoy seeing what is on offer, and then stocking up on it, as it makes me feel good that I have managed to save some money on things that I would end up having to buy at some point anyway.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep a stock of 3 in 1 coffee in sachets and energy drinks, and if my load isn't heavy, then I will add a 2 liter bottle of softdrink. When I used to buy my own food, I would stock up on canned goods and grilled and bucket type of chicken. Those chicken meals can last for 5 to 6 days.

20. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We stock up on rice, condiments and canned goods. Rice is such a staple in our meals. It is a must for us to have it everyday. Condiments such as salt, pepper, soy sauce and vinegar are also needed for everyday cooking. Canned goods are important for emergencies so we always have these.