What Fruits, Veggies, and Herbs Can Grow in a Pot/Planter?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by streakanime • May 5, 2014.

1. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    I live in an apartment complex. But, I love the way fresh/homegrown produce tastes. It is a great way to save money and it would be good for my family. My two year old actually loves veggies. So, it is kind of perfect.

I do not have a lot of experience with planting though. I was hoping some members of this community might be able to lend a hand in that department.

I'm looking for ideas on things I could try growing without having to play them in the ground or move them to the ground. We have a porch and even a little mulch bed. So, getting sunlight and being outside is not an issue. Being in the ground is.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of vegetables can be grown in containers, pots, etc. What you need however are the sort of vegetables that survive for a long time [even when the weather is at its harshest] if you tend them properly. Kales for example are the perfect vegetables to plant in pots. You could try these others too:

Lettuces.
    Colllards.

Those should be your best bests.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Just about everything can be planted and grown in a container, but you will need a big enough pot. You can definitely grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc. in pots. You can even buy them already grown in pots; they are young plants that are still maturing, but you won't have to worry about dealing with finicky seeds.

4. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Oh gosh, I have planted tons of stuff in containers. The thing is you go vertical if it's a vine, like cucumbers, squash, etc. In an apt. I had the whole patio cover with hooks, and had everything in hanging baskets. That was herbs mostly tho. I have had container tomatoes as well as hanging basket tomatoes. I have put eggplant in containers, potatoes, you name it. The sky's the limit. Heck, I have even seen corn grown in those big contractor dumpster bags. And that was at an apt. in the back.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Tomatoes, leafy greens, lots of things! Tomatoes can even be done in hanging baskets to save space. You can grow anything in containers pretty much, as long as there is enough space. Radishes grow super fast and don't need a lot of space. Research "container gardens." :)

As far as herbs, you can even do those inside by a sunny window.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    If it's your first time I would start with herbs. No, not those herbs you people. Geez.

They're easier to maintain and easier to fix if something goes awry. Also, as was mentioned, they take up very little space and less time.

7. sawan20

sawan20Banned

Threads:
    Tomatoes are the best to grow in a pot.