What grocery store or market has the best deli department?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by justusforus • Nov 11, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Of the major chains, I really like the deli department of our Von's store. They have even added a sandwich counter and make fresh sandwiches where they slice the meat to order. They also sell soups and whole chickens cooked as well as buffalo wings and the like. If you are in a hurry for dinner it's a great place to start.

2. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    The best deli department I been to in a grocery store was Ukrop's. It was the quality of the meats that they carried that made them good. Places like Food Lion have Sara Lee meats. Places like Ukrop's have Boar's head meats and cheeses. Sara Lee is okay, but Boar's Head is fantastic.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I *love* the deli at Whole Foods...I'm never disappointed there :). It's a pretty big section all around and the variety is consistent.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I think it really depends on where you live. There are so many great stores, but they might not be a national chain. I do not have a Von's, a Whole Foods, nor a Food Lion. However, I have a Schnuck's store that has a good deli and salad bar. I know they are a regional chain store but not national.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There are some stores with good deli departments, but I prefer spend a day visiting delicatessen stores to make sure I will find all the products that I like.

A deli department in a give store may not have all what I need. That's my main problem.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I say Safeway! They have great salads and delis in my opinion, and definitely not as expensive as Whole Foods! I grab a bunch of salads whenever they are on sale, I think they are worth it!!

7. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Harris Teeter Deli. They have foot long subs for 5 bucks every friday and theyre DELICIOUS. Better than subway by a lot

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's very true, as well. Some of my favorite places of all kinds...stores and restaurants and hang outs aren't national chains.

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    There is NOTHING like a real delicatessan submarine sandwich. I remember them from back East or the Midwest in the United States, but not so much on the west coast. You caught my eye with that response.

10. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    My old location in Tennessee, I would easily say Publix had the better deli. Around here, North East MO/border of Illinois, Hy Vee, hands down has the best. It's awesome when you can go into the grocery store and leave full, plus have your groceries for the week as well. When I was younger eating at the grocery store seemed strange, but now its becoming very common!

11. RazKnows

RazKnowsNew Member

Threads:
    Whole foods has really good deli cut meats and cheese. Plus they will have samples in there all the time.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the deli at Publix supermarkets. The sandwiches and chicken are pretty good and so is the potato salad. They're always nice about giving samples of the deli meats too.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like Whole Paycheck also but I say Bristol Farms is better in taste. Maybe because they were my first gourmet deli experience and I never before heard of things like smoked mozzarella and coq au vin.

Though Ralph's/Kroger is not bad, not all stores operate the same :( but they have the best empanadas I have ever tasted. I used to like Von's wings and red, white, blue potato salad but I haven't seen these items in a while.