What happened to Katy Perry's music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by isabbbela • Mar 8, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey guys!

So right when it came out, I decided to download Katy Perry's new album - Prism. After briefly listening to it, I was very surprised. I had not heard it again until recently, when I tried to give it another shot.

I have always enjoyed Katy Perry's music. I always thought it was good pop with catchy lyrics and really good choruses. I specially love her first album, the one from I Kissed a Girl and Hot and Cold. To me that is such a great, varied and fun album! It had such great songs!

Her second album was good as well, the one with California Gurls, was good as well. I didn't find the songs as good for my taste as the first, but they were good.

Now with the last one, Prism, in my opinion it's so bad! Aside from the first single Roar, it doesn't even look like Katy Perry. Most of the songs are either spiritual, sad, or have lame 80's vibes. I don't like the album at all! The only good songs to me are Unconditionally and Double Rainbow, and even these are weak. I know Dark Hors is very successful right now, but I don't like the song either.

Did you hear the album? What did you think?

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It maybe that she is changing in who she is as an artist, it may also be that you just have a very narrow range of music. Or it could be both things together. Personally I've never really liked her music (or really her) so I couldn't tell you to be honest.

3. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    I'm surprised anyone liked her music to begin with lol. All kidding aside I think she was never that talented but if she is trying to evolve then it might work for her.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think artist these days follow polls on what sells more rather than having their own music style, it's sad really, but money rules. This happens with Katy Perry and many others like Rhianna for example, for me their best songs were the ones that made her famous and not the ones she is producing now.

5. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I've noticed there has been a change in the music over time. I never was the biggest fan, but I thought it was okay and knew some of the previous songs. I can't really tell if she's doing things she wants to do with her music or if maybe her label wanted to change it up. Sometimes the change is from the control an artist gains or loses over their project and I'm thinking this may be what has been the change in the music.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That can be true also, probably we will never know if the label made her produce that sort of music or if she made that decision, possibly even the last one, as she is already a billionaire she can do pretty much what she wants as long as people buy her music.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Record labels just want to make cash. They'd rather use some kind of publicity to pique the people's interest in the singer then release an album so I don't think they had anything to do with Katy Perry's [would you call it downfall]?

IMO, every singer gets to that point where they don't make good music anymore.