What has been your favorite mystery movie of all time?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Allison2021 • Dec 1, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    What has been your favorite mystery movie of all time?

my most favorite mystery movie of all time has been "The Maltese Falcon", and it was the directorial debut for John Houston.
    I love Humphrey Bogart. I especially love Bogart in that movie. His character dominates he movie. He is seeking the truth about the black falcon while trying to solve the murder of his partner. Every character is complex. Not one character wears the clock of innocence. Bogart's character was secretly having an affair with his partner's wife. Mary Astor's character , surprisingly, turns out to be the most evil among them all.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have quite a few. :) One of my most favorite mystery thriller is "Inception" with Leonardo DiCaprio. It's the story of Dom Cobb, who is a thief with the rare ability to enter people's dreams and steal their secrets from their subconscious. His skill has made him a hot commodity in the world of corporate espionage but has also cost him everything he loves. It's an incredible movie, that I can watch again and again. :)

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Green Mile is a really good movie. It's not my all-time favorite but it's one of those mysterious yet moving movies that strike a chord deep in your heart. I cried an ocean of tears when I watched it. It was so sad because they executed the wrong man while the real murderer got away. And those poor little girls, sacrificed over a senseless thing. Sorry for the spoilers, by the way.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    A movie that still resonates to me as a very good mystery movie is The Usual Suspects. Kevin Spacey's acting was superb and character was so conniving, I never knew he was the evil mastermind until the end of the movie! I never expected a cripple to be the mysterious boss everybody knows but doesn't know.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Inception is my favourite mystery movie and I think it is quite a story. I totally love the movie for everything that has been said about it. I think it is worth watching at any given time.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I quite liked the first Sherlock Holmes movie, I found the plot to be fairly convoluted, and the character as portrayed by Robert Downey Jr to be very unique.

Another movie which I liked was Now you see me, but I'm not too sure if it falls under the genre of mystery.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The usual suspects is a pretty good one. I honestly didn't like the acting of Kevin Spacey there but he is still very likable to me so I didn't mind it that much. The plot wasn't anything outrageously unique but it was still fairly well written and the movie as a whole just felt pretty solid and well rounded to me. Definitely something nice to watch when trying to get comfortable at home.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    The movie "Identity". its just in the last part that I actually understood that he was at all suffering from schizzo. All the characters in the movie is just one and the whole movie just happened in the hotel. Seem a low cost but definitely the actors aren't from John Cussack to Ray Liotta.

9. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I liked Clue! It was a great movie to watch with friends, and it has a certain quirky comedy feel to it. I've played this game quite a lot during my childhood, so it was nice to see it on screen. Not to mention that there are 3 different endings, so it's really good to see the writing that was behind this movie, and trying to figure out yourself who the murderer was.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    'The Lady Vanishes' is my favorite as everyone tries to make Iris think she has imagined Miss Froy until she sees the label for the tea and knows she hasn't. The orginal is the best, but it's a great tale on how people don't like to get involved and what can be covered up.

I also love the original Holmes with Basil Rathbone and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' is one I can always watch over again.

11. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    The Others and Donnie Darko rank up there as my favorite mystery movies of all time that I like to watch. The Others was well executed and had me strung the whole way through until it unveiled what was truly going on and every time I see it now, I'm still amazed with the film. Donnie Darko is an interesting watch. It took me a couple of viewings to piece together what the film makers really wanted me to believe because the end leaves the plot so ambiguous. So for those reasons, I chose those two.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really love Shutter Island with Leonardo De Caprio in the movie. I think it's more of a Psychological Thriller really but i think it might also fit in this category. It's a really disturbing and intriguing movie. The first time i saw it blew my mind seriously. I did not expect how it turned out at all. One of my all time favorite movies. :p

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Zodiac was a good movie. It's about a serial killer that sends cryptic notes to the police to rub his freedom and their inability to track them in their faces. It's a good mystery movie.