What I Do With Stale Bread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Beast_Titan • Jul 19, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    When bread gets stale, I don't throw them away because I still have uses for them.

1. turn them into bread crumbs- I will just pulse them in a food processor until they turn kind of grainy and then I will place them in a baking sheet and toast them for 30 seconds. Now I have my own panko bread crumbs for deep fried foods or meat loafs.

2. I make bread pudding- Youtube have an ocean of bread pudding recipes people can try at home and make that stale bread useful again.

3.I turn them into Pizza- If you toast them then add pizza toppings you can make a cheap pizza out of them.

That is what I do with stale bread, What do you do with yours?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what, when I buy bread I leave them just for a day to make some egg salad sandwiches, that I love to make with fresh bread and freeze them fresh. When you toast or micro them it tastes like fresh bread again. Like you I do the same except I don't make pizza with old bread. We have a bread thrift shop from Love's Bakery which has very good day old bread that's cheaper. These breads I buy from the thrift shop goes straight into the freezer.

3. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    In our house, we eat bread a lot, and there is a rare opportunity to see a stale bread. But the things you said here make me want to try them out so I am going to do it the first time I get a chance. Especially the pizza one, of course. Who doesn't love pizza?

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I buy wholemeal bread which tends to go mouldy more easily in the heat but I never waste it. I give it to the birds and they don't seem to mind at all.

I love toast so if it feels a little bit dry and it has not gone off I will toast it with egg or cheese on top. It rarely goes to waste in my house.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, Isobe, I must say that I am impressed, we never used stale bread, we do not throw it away, we give it to someone that have animals and need bread to feed them. I didn't know that we can do so many things with a stale bread. Thanks for share, I may use some of your ideas!

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In my area what most counts is experience more than a degree as most companies would want their workers to start right away and not have to spend too much time training them. At least that's what my boss said when I was hired. I had two years experience and no degree and earned very well at a good job.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This was a mistake I had to put this on another thread my but phone got crazy and don't know how to delete it. Anyway, I usually finish all of my bread up or throw it out if it's just a bit of it. Very nice ideas there are here. I never thought of making bread crums with stale bread which is excellent idea. I also love the pizza dough alternative ideas which can make a pizza quite cheap.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Bread rarely goes waste in my home as I make something or the other out of it. The most favorite leftover bread recipe in my family is - saute some chopped onions in oil, then add a little turmeric and red chilli powder, salt, add bread which is cut into small bite-sized pieces, mix well and toss for a few minutes until bread pieces turn crispy. Sprinkle a little lemon juice and enjoy it with tea or coffee.

9. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot eat stale bread. I have a very sensitive stomach and I think posts like this should come with a disclaimer to let people know they need to be sure of what they are allergic to before trying a method or recipe that worked for you.

Same thing goes for all types of food for me. Any meal with leftovers has to go straight into the freezer if it has to be eaten again. Cooked food that is more than a day gives me a stomach upset however slightly.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean stale bread is old bread, okay, we also use that. But bread with traces of fungus is not good to eat anymore. Anyway, leftover bread is placed in the refrigerator so it can last for weeks. And if we want, we can toast it and eat with jam or spread. Pudding is also an alternative but it’s not a hit anymore in our home. Bread pizza is more popular although it needs more ingredients particularly pepperoni and bell pepper to give it a semblance of real pizza. I have also tried baking banana bread using plantain banana. It’s nice but I don’t know why people in our house didn’t like it much.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Stale bread is ideal for making puddings and 'dahi wadas' as we call them. Bread pudding is well known. For 'Dahi wada' one needs to soak bread in water and squeeze out. Make balls, deep fry and soak them in curds to which salt and sugar is added. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli powder.