What if diet and exercise alone are not working for weight loss?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Susie • Nov 29, 2012.

1. Seymour

SeymourNew Member

Threads:
    A low fat diet is a good choice to lose the weight. Adding more fruits and vegetables in diet will absolutely help to burn unnecessary body fat and lose the extra body weight.
    Walking for half an hour in a regular routine is a good workout plan for the weight loss purposes.

#21May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend seeing a dietician and finding out what sort of things you enjoy eating, that way they will help you come up with a diet and exercise plan that best suits you. If you find out what type of foods you enjoy eating they will help you find a plan that works for you :)

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    You first need to realize that something that may work for someone else, may not work for you. You could very well be carb sensitive or there are other foods to which your body responds really well to. First, learn how your body works and responds to food and then truly understand food and its nutrients.

Up top said it all, all fats are not bad fats and you need more of them than you need to eliminate them. Get the true facts on nutrients and then apply them to your diet. The weight will fall off.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Some people agree with me, others don't, but i got to say that keeping your mind clear free is a very important thing. If you are stressful, your gains will be affected, believe me or not. So, got to workout that stress first before anything else.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're not losing weight because you aren't aware of what healthy means (I'm not trying to sound harsh). Fat is an important part of our diet. Learn the good and the bad fats. Processed foods are terrible for you, eat them as little as possible (yes, even if they're marketed as healthy..... in some cases ESPECIALLY if they are marketed as healthy. Most packaged foods at a grocery store are just as bad as eating junk food, even if "low fat" which means more sugar). You can't NOT lose the weight if you're actually eating right. I don't work out, I eat right and I don't have weight issues at all (which I used to when eating poorly and thought I wasn't)

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your problem is the low-fat nonsense. Fat does not make you fat, it is a very clean energy source and we evolved to use it as our primary energy source. Fat will not trigger insulin and insulin is the hormone which drives fat storage. Cut out carbohydrates and you will lose fat fast because your insulin levels will be down.

7. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Sound advice! When choosing a diet plan for weight loss, the goal should be low carb (limit your breads/starches) and restricting sugury foods/drinks. Opt for proteins, fruits and veggies to make up most of your calorie intake, as these provide the macro-nutrients your body needs for optimal health.

When it comes to walking or running, people tend to burn between 80 and 100 calories per mile, no matter how fast or how slow they are (the difference in speed effects your cardiovascular endurance, not the amount of energy it takes to get you from point a to point b). This having been said, even if you walk a brisk 10 minute mile, you're still only getting 6 miles in that hour, burning 480-600 calories. Since there's no way you can be consuming less than 600 calories per day and still meeting your bodies nutritional needs, this alone will not be enough to lose weight.

Weight loss is the result of burning more calories than you consume, causing your body to run out of fuel from your food and begin using the fat stored in your body as fuel. In order to lose weight you'll need to restrict the number of calories you consume daily. This having been said, you need to discuss with your doctor what a safe caloric intake is for you... If you choose to incorporate strength/weight training, you won't want to restrict your calories too much because your body will burn calories while building muscle.

As Ryder13 stated, there is a difference in training for weight loss alone and training for overall fitness. In the end, it all comes down to what you want to achieve... be specific, set measurable goals.

Whatever you decide, be sure to drink plenty of water regularly, and exercise safely. Good luck!!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want instant results since diet and exercise doesn't seem to be working for you, then if you're willing to spend some cash, there's this non-invasive treatment that can get rid of fat, and it's done by injection. Here's the link if you're interested:

9. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I am going to be the odd ball here and say everyone's body and lifestyle is different. For some people, cutting out one food item will make them lose 20 pounds. While others will need to cut out several. Some people can lose a lot of weight with just walking and some need a more aerobic work-out to lose weight. Again, losing weight is personal.

If you find you are not losing enough weight, I suggest you try different diets and exercise routines and see which one works for you. Diminishing the amount of carbs is a great way to start. At the same time, don't diminish all of them. Many carbs like grains are essential to good health and proper waste elimination (which helps in losing weight). I'd also suggest you look into your lifestyle. Are you stressed? Some people gain weight during stressful times and find it impossible to take it off. If this is you, I'd suggest that you find away to de-stress. Good luck.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not try any supplements. .. if it's not working, change it up!! Change your diet and change your exercise. If you don't run or do a lot of cardio, I highly recommend you trying those, specially running!! If your diet is too strict, try to eat more for a few days the go back. That works for me. Drinking green and hibiscus teas also ca help!

11. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. All of those diet supplements that you have tried will not work. They are scams. You need to monitor your calorie intake, and make sure that you lose more than you take in. That is the only way to be sure of losing weight.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If you are not losing weight then the chances are you are not doing it right. I'd suggest listing on here what you are doing and eating and we will be able to help you better.