What is Gluten and is Getting Free from Gluten Pricey?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Smexyrina • Dec 26, 2013.

1. Smexyrina

SmexyrinaNew Member

Threads:
    The idea of gluten free products have become a trending topic this year, and so trendy –I might add– that TIME magazine has placed the topic as number two in their trending topics list. So, what is the big idea with gluten, anyway and why does it have a whopping twenty-nine percent of the U.S population scared? Truthfully, I had no idea, so I decided to do a little research myself. According to CNN Health, Gluten is a type of protein most commonly found in grains; and is present in just about any type of wheat you can think of. The presence of gluten poses no threat to most individuals. However, individuals with Celiac Disease, it could mean the difference between life and death. For those of you who may not know what Celiac Disease is, when a individual with this disease intakes even a small bite of a gluten infested product, they immediately get sick. The inner linings of their intestines are damaged, and that in turn, causes one serious case of the #2 ( Yupp, I'm talking diarrhea folks!). So, going gluten free is almost mandatory for Celiacs, however, others who do not have the disease, choose to say "Au Revoir!" to gluten, in order to slim down and lose weight. Whatever your reasons are for considering gluten free products, the question still remains: does kicking gluten to the curb put a strain on your wallet? and the answer is "YES!" According to TIME magazine, gluten-free products are a lot more expensive, because manufactures have to substitute certain ingredients to allow the product to be considered edible by the standards of many. I suppose, it's a good thing that more manufacturers are more accommodating to Celiac individuals, although the products are a lot more pricey than products with gluten.

Have you eaten any gluten-free products lately? If so, comment and share your experience!

Links:
    CNN Health:

TIME:

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Keep reading, because it's beneficial for far more reasons than that. I've experienced many perks to cutting out gluten. That said, it's more expensive because it's a trend, not because it's expensive to sub ingredients lol. Also, gluten free foods in the grocery store are probably just as bad and sometimes worse than the foods with gluten in them, because they add more sugar etc to make it taste better. It's not a health business.. they're in it for money and they are far from stupid. but most consumers believe everything they read. If you truly want to go gluten free, it's best to make the foods yourself.

3. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I have to eat gluten free, and overall, gf products are so much more expensive than their gluten-filled counterparts. For example, a loaf of bread costs three times as much. If I want to have pizza delivered, a g.f. pizza from Domino's is 10 inches, yet it costs more than their largest deluxe versions. One way I've found to economize is to buy rice pasta at my local Asian market. A pack of spaghetti-like noodles will cost me 75 cents there, but if would cost over five dollars if I were to buy the exact same pack from a place that specializes in g.f. products.