What Is Makeup To Women?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by keytcee • May 6, 2015.

1. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Make-up and skin care products are big in the markets nowadays with their promises of lightening one’s skin, eliminating wrinkles, masking blemishes and so on. But what do women actually think of make-up? Do women wear make-up because they want to hide imperfections or they want to feel more alive and confident? What about women who don’t prefer using make-up? What reasons do they have for not using them and what do they see make-up as? As the famous saying goes, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. But how does make-up affect women and the people around them?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Makeup means a lot of things to different women. Reasons vary per female. Generally, women would want to look good, presentable and pleasing to the eyes of family, friends, workmates, the crush or just about anyone they have to interact with on a regular basis. There are those who feel more confident when they look picture perfect. Implicitly, no woman wants to be criticized for looking drab. As for myself, I don't wear heavy makeup. My everyday look is more au naturel achieved through a bit of eye liner, face cream and lip tint. I do this because it makes me feel better about myself. There's something empowering about makeup but it's advisable not to overdo it, of course, as wrinkles might quickly set in. You're putting chemicals on your face, after all.

3. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    Personally, I don't wear or even own makeup; I just feel more beautiful without it. I have worn very small amounts in the past, but that has been about 20 years ago. I do use moisturizer; however, because it makes my face feel better and it smells like my grandmother who is deceased.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be a make-up artist, so I have a lot of make-up. Some people like to use it to enhance their features, other like to create a look and others like a minimal look for a professional appearance.

Make-up can act as a barrier against dirt and pollution too, but many women wear it to make themselves feel confident, or use it fashionably, say a lipstick or nail polish to match with an outfit.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been very interested in makeup. I like to occasionally use an eyeliner to highlight the color of my eyes, but that's about it. I could never apply any foundation or powder. Even eye shadow is too much for me personally. I don't judge others by their use of makeup. It's just that I myself don't like to walk around with an excessively painted face.
    On the other hand, I enjoy home made face masks and high quality organic skin care products a lot.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I use it to tie my overall look together, mostly, but for me, being able to change it up is an art. I enjoy experimenting with different looks and knowing I can go from fairly natural to dramatic with a few simple changes. I’m sure I could go without it, but it’s so much fun for me.

7. Gwendolyn Fredricks

Gwendolyn FredricksNew Member

Threads:
    Makeup for me is to enhance my already natural beauty. It is a regimen that makes women feel a little more sexy or just more colorful. Whenever I put it on I always feel my best. However, it really does depend on a woman's' mood. Some seem not to be phased by wearing makeup. And that's fine. You have to find what works for you.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I wear make-up: eyebrow liner and lipstick. I wear them because I want to look okay when I go to work. Basically, I like applying makeup especially when I am going out with my friends. I won't "die" without it though. I also do not feel the need to buy every makeup out there. Overall, I wear makeup because I want to, because it makes me happy. :)

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always liked a bit of make-up. I think pretty much everyone has at least one great facial feature that deserves to be played up somewhat. You don't have to go paintbrush crazy with it. Just help nature along a little with some added definition or color.
    Personally, I like some eyeliner (usually not black) paired with mascara and a light colored lipstick or gloss. It doesn't change my appearance much but it does make me feel good. Just a little more sparkly or something.

10. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear make up everyday but if I go out in the evening and have dressed up then I wear foundation, mascara and lipstick. It makes me feel like I have made an effort and that the event is special.
    My daughter suffers with acne prone skin and make up is a lifeline for her as she would not have the confidence to go out of the house without it.
    If we all had perfect skin less of us would wear make up daily, I think.

11. Gwendolyn Fredricks

Gwendolyn FredricksNew Member

Threads:
    I hear you. I love wearing it too because it makes me feel more confident on days I really need a boost.

12. lexingtonslade

lexingtonsladeNew Member

Threads:
    I wear makeup because it allows me to express myself without going crazy. Want to wear a neutral look today? Have at it. Today a red lipstick sort of day? Fantastic. Wearing makeup is fun and it makes me feel more confident when I know my makeup is on point. I change it up to go with my outfits or whatever fits my mood on any given day.