What Is Modest Apparel?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 27, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    What is "modest apparel" in your estimation?

Is it the long skirt? The loosely fitted blouses? The knitted sweaters?

How do you define "modest apparel" or "modest attire"? Do you feel that that term is an archaic construct that traditional persons are trying to keep current? Or is there still a need to keep things in the "modest" framework of things?

Is it really up to each person's own perspective or style? Or is there a widely agreed-upon set of rules that govern what works and what doesn't when it comes on to dressing in a "modest" way?

If you aren't quite satisfied with the traditional standards and expectations for modesty, what are some suggestions that you might have to "modernize" this department of dress?

modest apparel.JPG

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that the term "modest" these days is subjective. But I think it's unfair that "modesty" targets women mostly though I've seen men who outrageously dressed.

For me modest apparel would be the sort that doesn't reveal too much flesh and doesn't cling too tightly to the wearer. But I suppose others will have differing opinions since as said, it's all very subjective.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Modesty depends on who you ask. I view how I dress to be pretty modest, since I wear mostly pants, and I never have to much cleavage showing and I don't wear dresses shorter then knee length. Though I once had a co-worker chastise me for "looking like a whore" because I showed "too much cleavage" and was giving off the "wrong appeal".
    10176946_hi?$newht_product_lg$.
    I was wearing that dress, with a cardigan over top (and pinned down so my bra straps didn't show) and solid black leggings with calf high riding boots on. I have no idea how that made me "look like a whore". I mean I'm busty, but the dress completely covers and shows no cleavage. I made sure when I bought it! I was sitting at a desk, not leaning down or anything. Even my supervisor said it was fine when I asked her about it! Then again, that coworker was like 70 something at the time, and never wore anything with a neckline further down then a turtle neck. o_O

But mostly "modest" doubles as office appropriate in my book.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I think modest means not accentuating your curves, male and female, and not revealing your private areas. I believe modest can still be fashionable and attractive. I guess more focus goes on the fashion of the clothes than on the body. It is about how you carry yourself with it too.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Modest clothing is any type of clothing that sufficiently covers all your assets. T-shirts, jeans, sleeved dresses, maxis, blazers, sweaters, coats, boots and ponchos usually fall under the "modest" category as their main purpose is to keep the wearer covered with minimal to zero skin exposure. Accentuating is all right so long as the person adheres to proper decorum.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow @Kitty Reeves; I know the lady was 70, but how that dress could be perceived as being whorish is beyond me!

I agree with everyone, modest clothing goes hand in hand with a demure image (of course, talking here in terms of the ladies). I understand it to mean dressing in a classy way, not exposing too much flesh, not wearing overly fitted clothes; basically dressing decently.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a beautiful dress and there's nothing tarty about it.

The idea of modesty certainly seems to differ between age groups, countries and cultures. I think as long as you keep your bits and pieces covered and respect the culture of the place you are in, you should be fine.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Modest Apparel" means "wear what a prudish society has deemed appropriate for you". It's all about keeping men in line and women from being jealous or judgy. I know everyone thinks there is a time and place for it (never and nowhere), but you could follow this back to the rules of the church and their women shaming since the beginning of time lol. I don't think I own anything particularly revealing, but I don't believe in modest apparel, appropriate attire, skimpy clothes, grubby clothes, dress codes etc.. it's never about the person and always about those judging them.. whatever makes them comfortable for whatever reason. Dramatic answer for a simple question lol.. gotta keep it interesting :p