What is the best department store cosmetics section?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by justusforus • Nov 11, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    If you buy makeup or perfume at a department store and think it is the best, would love to hear your comments. We have a Macy's with a good selection but it is not that affordable. What do you say?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I went through a stage where I tried drug/discount store cosmetics and the quality is not the same. Even the higher priced ones leave something to be desired. IMO, if a woman is going to a job where appearance and confidence are important, it is best to invest in the best quality cosmetic item that is affordable.

3. jmg707

jmg707New Member

Threads:
    I am a makeup junkie!!!! I have found that department stores are not really your best bet. Each 'counter" sells only those products. I love experimenting and most of my favorites come from a variety of manufacturers. Better bet is to try Ulta or Sephora or another retailer that specializes in beauty products. I have now gone so far as to become an independent rep for Younique because I have so much fun playing with makeup! I will tell you that some items (anything face related) are well worth the extra money. When it comes to color I think you can be more forgiving with the prices. Take a friend that you really trust and just play round with what looks good to you!

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If you are sticking to strictly department store cosmetics sections I think Nordstrom is the best. Not only do they have a great selection the service in amazing. I prefer to look around and not have someone follow me around trying to put blush on me, spray me with perfume and brush my hair. Nordstrom has a great hands off type of policy it seems. I always have someone say hi to me and tell me to let them know if I have any questions or need anything, I LOVE that and it's why I continue to go back to Nordstrom for makeup needs.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work on the beauty counters in a department store. My favorites are Barneys and Bloomingdales. Each store has different gifts and exclusives, so sometimes Macy's will have that gift the buyer has negotiated or a limited edition product. Macy's does tend to have good value fragrance sets, basically you pay for the fragrance and get a body lotion and a parfum free with it. So I will shop where the best value is, but Barneys is good for browsing.

In London, I prefer Harvey Nichols as it has more niche brands and the consultants are less likely to hassle you.

I do prefer Sephora for certain brands and they have a loyalty scheme too which offers samples and gifts.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I almost forgot, Henri Bendel in NYC has an amazing beauty section. It is small and definitely a bit more expensive but some of the products they carry are so unique. I especially love their fragrance section because you could definitely buy a perfume there and not worry about anyone else having the same.