What is the best device to stream movies on?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gmac9100 • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I like to stream a lot of films online through services like Netflix, and Hulu. The problem is that i have been using my old PlayStation 3 to do it. The PlayStation 3 doesn't have much RAM so the viewing experience is not as good as i would like it to be. It freezes a lot when i stream High Definition content. I would like to know what is the best alternative to this method. I have heard of streaming devices such as Roku, but i have never actually tried it. Can anyone give me a review, or another product suggestion?

2. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I've had pretty good experience with my Wii and Xbox 360. I usually use my laptop or iPad to stream, though.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd say just buy a Roku or Apple TV since those seem to be the most highly regarded ones. However, if you are wanting to look into other options, you may also just want to buy a small netbook instead or even just build an HTPC if you are not too much against having to tinker, because at least with this, you'd get a bit more functionality with your device and you can even customize it to your liking. With HTPCs you can even install games on it and use it to double as an emulator machine, but again, it does take a bit of setting up.

4. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I hook up my laptop via HDMI to an HDTV. It's not the greatest experience because of random pop-ups from other running applications for example. Something like the WD Live would be better and has a lot of cool features like custom firmware and 1080p ready, etc. I haven't tried it personally though, just interested in getting one someday. For now streaming from a computer is good enough.

5. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    A Chromecast, no doubt about it. With the release of the SDK, tons of apps are being developed. And even without it, the apps available were enough to stream almost everything you wanted.

6. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to recommend you to buy a Chromecast which, in my opinion, is the best device at the moment for streaming content on your television. Chromecast is manufactured and marketed by Google and is sold for a measly price 0f 35$ and is a steal for its price considering the number of features it has. I have using it for the past couple of months and I have to say that I like it a lot.