What is the best FREE exercise?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by True2marie • Jun 22, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Free stuff is always better. Right?

Well, instead of joining another gym and wasting my money not going, I focus on exercise that can be done without paying a penny. The one I am into now is hill walking.

Where I live, there are plenty of hills and I read how this type of walking helps every part of your body. I can definitely tell a difference in my overall strength, energy and shape since I began this type of exercise and it didn't cost me anything.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of ways, really to get yourself into shape without having to pay and subscribe to a gym or hire a coach. All it takes is discipline and commitment. You first need to have this because even if there is someone to coach you, if you have a gym subscriber, if you have a program that you've signed up to, without discipline, all of these would just be gone to waste. On the other hand if you have that one thing, then you'd be able to do it even by just yourself with almost equal or just a little less efficient than with a coach or a program. Only that it's gonna take you longer.

About your question, what I find best free exercise is running. All you need is a place to run. Trust me it has worked for me. You can run barefoot, but this isn't a good idea if you worried about how your feet are going to look In this case you would have to have a good pair of running shoes. Another thing that I do is jumping ropes. There are many ways how you can do it. Watch this:

. Also if you want fast and extreme fat burner, do plyometrics. There are tons of guides about this on the internet. But be careful on doing them. They are really extreme. Also you can just do sports.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I also exercise for free by working out using YouTube videos. There are lots of aerobic exercises and programs to follow. There are exercises that can be done in five minutes and there are routines that last for an hour. It is very important to keep the discipline of the program we follow.

I have subscribed to some online fitness communities such as SparkPeople and YourVirtualFitness to serve as my guide and support group.

The main challenge here is to continuously motivate myself to stay within a program. This is where the communities provide great help.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    These days I train using only my body weight (it's free, yay!). Push-ups, squats, abs, pullups .. you name it. Like others here I'm using Youtube videos to learn how to properly exercise but I've recently found a subreddit, namely

. It's dedicated to training using just the body weight. Have a look, it's full of great exercise ideas.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favourite free exercises, or almost free, are walking, running, swimming and riding my bike. My bike is not very fancy, only a simple one with three gears, and doesn't need much upkeep apart from the occasional replacement of the tyres. Swimming and running is free for me, as I am fortunate to have a Lake nearby where I can swim all year round and run through the beautiful forest that surrounds it.

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Jogging and yoga combined create the greatest total body workout you can do for free. If you do yoga and jog, you will see great results. Realistically, if those are the only exercises you do for the rest of your life, you will be above most people when it comes to being physically fit.

A good diet is needed to.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Running is my best option. If you do have time to join some fun run event this should be great for you will have some people to join with when running. I actually like to do this ever since if only the venue is near my location, I might have been joining every sunday/.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think jogging would be by far the best free exercise one can get. It really hardly matters where you live. All you need to do is slip on some jogging shorts and get going. You can either use a timer to jog for a specified time or . . . whatever you choose.

p.s I don't do any jogging though. The exercise I get working during the day is enough to help me stay fit.

9. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I began walking three miles a day and feel it is the best way for me to get the wieght off! Only thing is, is when it is so hot outside, we don't have a mall to go to to walk in the ac.. So I'm posed with the problem of when to walk, it's too hot in the morning when I get time to walk, so I will wait till evening so maybe I won't get the feeling I'm about to pass out!

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Just like most here, jogging or running is the best free exercise for me. I can do it anywhere and anytime my schedule allows it. I can do it at home on my old thread mill or out on the park. It's actually my favorite stress reliever activity. :)

11. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    As much as I understand your goal is to loose fat, right? Well, for that you don't need to lift weights. You need to lift weights if you want to build muscle. To loose fat weight you need to do cardio. Anything what involves a lot of fast movements and makes your sweat and your heart really bump. It may be running, cycling, dancing, etc.

There are many ways how to do cardio at home. And of course you can work home by watching TV, that's not a problem, I sometimes do it. Even in gyms there are TVs.

Some good Cardio to do at home would be:
    1. Jump rope
    2. Jumping jacks
    3. Running at place (even if you don't have a treadmill you can still move one leg up and on leg down like if you were running)

12. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I like to excerise to youtube! You can find all kinds of routines on there to use. Recently I began using the old HBO 1980's 20 Minute Workout! This will do the trick, I know cause I did it back in the 80's and really saw a difference!

13. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I find walking is the best "free" exercise. Though I won't lie I use a lot of free exercise videos. I don't download them or anything, I just Youtube. I find Jillian Michael videos, all levels, on Youtube. Denise Austin has videos on Youtube so does Flirty Girl, Shawn T, and Leslie Sansone. I lost 30 pounds doing Youtube video workout videos. Their legit videos is why, but I enjoy it. Not to mention my apartment has a free gym I can use. Well, I won't say free, I end up paying for it, but I can use the weights there so I don't have to buy them or go to a gym that makes me pay $40 a month.

14. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    There are SO many ways to get in shape without a gym that sometimes I wonder why people still buy memberships!

First of all, my apartment complex has a swimming pool so I like to take my son there and get some exercise myself. We also love to go for walks. Even if its just to the mailbox 5 minutes away (big complex), we try to go outside everyday. I also like to workout to free videos. Youtube is great of course, but I also like fitnessblender.com. They are a husband and wife team with all sorts of videos from surgery recovery exercises to high intensity workouts. I can always find something to do (for free) on that website!