What is the best OUTDOOR exercise the average Joe can do?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Over the past couple of months, I have been walking a lot which has helped me drop a dress size. No - I didn't join a gym. I have been walking outside in the cold, rain and (now) sun. But, I have been wondering if there are other exercises that are great or even better to do outdoors. I used to have a neighbor who got up early each day and did yoga outside on her front lawn. Would yoga be better than walking?

[​IMG]

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Mixing it up a bit in terms of variety will provide more benefit that one exercise alone. You will eventually plateau with walking and need to step it up anyhow. Yoga can strengthen your body (if you work on more strenuous routines). Moving up to jogging from walking will see a continued benefit. Adding in some light resistance training will tone your body as well (light dumbbells or bands). No single exercise will do everything you want.

Take advantage of the weather when it is nice and go for a hike in lieu of a walk. Try a bike ride. When it is ugly outside, head over to the local pool for a few laps.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't compare as yoga and walking are different things. Yoga is for flexibility. It works out your joints. Walking, on the other hand, is a low-intensity cardiovascular exercise. You can try jogging or low-intensity running for 15 minutes and then do some yoga for another 15 minutes. Running, I find the best because it's very cheap. In most cases, you don't have to pay for the track, where you are going to run!