What is the best series that you have ever read?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by lindbergh • Apr 21, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read the Harry Potter series from beginning to end. It's probably the best series to date. It has captivated the minds of both young and old with an interesting setting, great story, witty dialogue and memorable characters. Now, I'm feeling a bit empty since I no longer have a series that I look forward to read. What is the favorite series of books that you have read?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite series was the Foundation series by Issac Asimov. It's very old school. I re-read the original three in the series last year. I still have a few more to go to complete the series.

3. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I have not completed the series but one of my favorites is the Stephen King book series The Gunslinger. This is an oldie but goodie. I had a friend who new I was a Stephen King fan buy me the very first book in the series awhile ago. And since then I have began to purchase the next book after next book in the series.

Also I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games series. After I finished reading one book I could not start the second one fast enough. Very good books indeed.

4. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Gosh, now you're asking! I am a real book worm, and to choose one series only would be impossible to me. My favourite's' to date are Harry Potter, The Hunger Games trilogy and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I also love all the books I have read by Michael Connolly in the Harry Bosch series. But I am always on the lookout for more books to add to my already overflowing shelves!

5. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    The Dragon Tattoo series was a damn good read, and the films were good as well. I will say I was also a Sherlock Holmes fan for a number of years and the series is obviously classic.
    Ryder13

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite series would have to be a series of unfortunate events.
    I started this book back in middle school and then I just kept reading and reading the book over in high school. It was just written in such a way that I was always interested in what the next book will be about.
    I am sad however about the fact that they didn't release more movies about this series!

7. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    There was one movie, I remember seeing it. It was called 'Lemon Snickets, A Series of Unfortunate Events' (funnily enough!). I really enjoyed it. Jim Carey was brilliant - and terrifying - as Count Olaf.

8. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I am a book junky and I especially love series. I love being able to follow the same characters are a longer journey. I love Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Divergent. The Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series is also a huge hit with me :)

9. Celestial Sky

Celestial SkyNew Member

Threads:
    Oh, gosh this is a hard one, as I have quite a few book series that I love! I'll list two of them. : )

One series I got started on due to my older son recommending it to me. I don't usually read this genre, but I absolutely loved this series, and the author did an amazing job! It's called "The Symphony of Ages" and the author is Elizabeth Haydon. I started with book one, "Rhapsody: Child of Blood", and got hooked! My two sons and I all loved this series. Great characters and story telling.

Another series I really like is an alternate timeline series known as the "Nantucket series", by author S.M. Stirling. "Island in the Sea of Time", is the first book in the series, and it was so compelling to read, that I haunted the book stores waiting for the follow-up books!

10. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's set in a future where humans have colonized several planets, and follows the adventures of a hyperactive, aristocratic dwarf genius through military, mercenary, and espionage.
    I also quite like her Chalion series, which is more medieval fantasy set on a world where magic actually works and the gods are active.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    You may not have heard of this, but my favourite series of books is Quintin Jardine's Bob Skinner series. It's a set of stand alone crime thrillers, set in Edinburgh, and sometimes Spain and other countries as well. The stories are well told, and the descriptions of Edinburgh are very evocative. I go back and re-read them about once a year - there are not many series I can say that about.

12. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    I love all the books of Stephan King, Sydney Sheldon and Dan Brown. But other than these the most favorite series of books I loved was Twilight series and Harry Potter :)

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    The best series I have ever read is the Darkest Powers series written by Kelley Armstrong. The Darkest Powers series is a Young Adult horror and suspense novels about a girl who is a necromancer, who's able to see ghosts. The series is wonderful, and it kind of scares me a little because I read the series at night.

14. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I loved the Harry Potter books. They were well written. This summer I got to visit the Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. That place is amazing!

I also loved the Darkest Mercy series, Hunger Games series, Twilight series, Matched series by Ally Condie, and Artemis Fowl series by Eon Colfer. I can't decide which one was my favorite. I am a book junkie. I like all the James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club books. I love To Kill a Mockingbird. I am reading it again for the fourth time.

15. Nevermore

NevermoreNew Member

Threads:
    I'm really into "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. I am definitely not a fan of fantasy books, but I like Martin because magic is not prevalent in the books, on the contrary it's not even mentioned if not once in 10 chapters. I like the POV structure of the books and the writing of every chapter reflects the personality of the protagonist: so if it's a Jaime chapter Brienne is described as a wench, if the chapter is from Arya's POV every thing she dislikes is described as stupid, and the tone varies from solemn to childish according to the characters. His prose isn't excellent, he's no way better than Fitzgerald, but in my opinion the characters of A Song of Ice and Fire are way deeper, complex and believable than most characters you can find in literature.

16. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I love "The Song of Ice and Fire" by G. R. R. Martin - it's a great series and I can't wait for the next novel to be published. When I was younger I liked "Harry Potter" and "Hunger Games".

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you can count three books as a series, but I enjoyed wrestler Mick Foley's trilogy of autobiographies, his first one is by far the best though. :)

18. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! I think sometimes a three-book series is much better than series that has 6 or more books.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably longest work, The Dark Tower series certainly was on an entirely different level. I read all the books in the series and the only one that didn't impress was the last book in series because the ending was not what I expected it to be. Looked to me like after writing the books for so long, King suddenly didn't feel like he should go on [anymore] and just chose to end the story abruptly.

20. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like The Argeneau Vampire series by Lyndsay Sands. Her books are good and funny. I always get a good laugh out her books.and her characters are endearing. I love her series and I hope to get all the books in it. I love vampire romances, but I am picky I will not read just any vampire novel. It's got to hold my interest from beginning to end and there are a lot that don't do that.