What is the biggest part of your budget?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    The biggest part of my budget is housing. I think this is true for most independent people. The second would probably be transportation. Fortunately, I paid my car off a couple of years ago. So, I no longer have a car payment.

white+pickett+fence+southern+lagniappe.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is housing as well. I pay 1000 bucks on rent, which is a lot considering I pay it by myself. The rest of my budget goes to grocery, which I spend way more than I should, and also stuff for my dog and gas. I should buy less of the non-necessity items such as makeup, clothes and such. I'm trying to spend less on those items.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Definitely housing and utilities are the big chunk of my expenses.

Next in line is groceries. I don't really spend on things like clothes, pets, etc, very much, but food gets expensive! It goes up even higher if I end up ordering takeout/delivery.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Our family's biggest collective expense goes to food and groceries. The second largest expense chunk goes to utility bills, but it's still not that huge because we're sort of living off the grid. Since we work at home, we have no need for a vehicle and we just take the train or the bus when the family goes out. Housing expense is very minimal. We just spend for its maintenance. We're fortunate that we live in my parent's home which they have left for us to occupy when they migrated to another country to seek greener pastures.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Housing, baby's needs, and foods are the biggest part of our monthly budget. We never have to worry about transportation because we live very close to my husband's office.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about the monthly payment for our flat in my husband's country because it's rented by others and it's enough to cover the bills including water and electricity.

We try our best not to buy things we don't need so we can save all the balance because we do love to have a good holiday whenever we can.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It might actually surprise people to know that the biggest expense for me in my house is not the food bill or the rent, it is actually my internet bill. I have such a crappy plan with BT that I always go over the limit and it costs me about £50 a week!

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Having a baby is really costly. I remember when my kids were at age 1, 3 and 5 - almost all of my salary goes to their food/milk, diaper, vaccines, vitamins, etc.. :D

But now that they are all (semi?) grown up (ages 13, 15 and 17), the biggest part of my budget goes to their education like tuition fees, books, projects, etc.. :)

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the largest part of my budget goes for education. Both my kids are at school and my youngest it still in pre-school and in his case it's a semi-private school, so it's pretty expensive. Close on second and third place I'd got for paying the house and food, but to be honest I don't know exactly how much we are spending on food, it would be an interesting number to know.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Utilities by far. I spend £25/week on energy (electricity/gas) £5/week on water, £10/week on phone and internet combined. Then maybe £25 on food and £20 on diesel.

Then maybe £10-£20 as disposable income. I don't have a high income, but my expenses are minimal too.

10. Abqu

AbquNew Member

Threads:
    Housing is probably the most obvious, but the way food prices are going here, it may not be long before they take over. It is hard to eat healthy and cheap these days without eating rice all the time.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My biggest part of my budget is food. It's both my necessity and my luxury. I gave up everything, clothes, movies and other perks of social life just for me to eat the foods that I really like without constraints, meaning to the max. I don't only eat to eat. I eat to feel good and to relieve myself from stress. So it really has to get the biggest chunk of my budget. Besides its food, and I am very particular of what I eat. I eat only the healthy foods and not the harmful processed ones.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely housing, my rent is ridiculous and more than $2k/month, followed by food and utilities. Luckily I have minimal credit card debt so I don't need to worry about paying that off and only took out a very small student loan so that isn't even $200/month to pay it off.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still live at home with my parents, so my biggest part of my budget is only for my personal needs, but for sure when I move out already I will be allotting my budget mostly on food and other expenses.