What Is The Cheapest Way To Workout?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by suegiplaye • Jul 28, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    My family tells me to go workout in the gym instead of working out at home, but I think the cheapest way to workout is using the gym at home.I love how you can just watch YouTube videos and mimic the exercises. So to me that is the cheapest way to workout. You do not need a personal trainer to workout.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think the cheapest thing to do is walking or jogging. If you live in an area where there are some hills, you can walk them as fast as you can to get a pretty intense workout without the higher impact of jogging and running. If your joints are up for running, it's a pretty effective way to lose weight as it's intense and burns a lot in a short amount of time.

If you don't have hills, but have a stair case in your home, you can go for a good walk or job, then do 10-20 times up and down the stairs to add good challenge to up your burn at the end.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to walk, the cost of a pair of good walking shoes is all I need to stay in shape. I have been hulu hooping to get the love handles and tone the core. It works. I started to walk 2 miles and hoop for 30 minutes to see how that works to re-shape my body.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have here our park which have an exercise event in the morning that is handled by retired women in our village. I haven't joined yet but my husband's cousin who is already retired attends the morning exercise called aerobics in the park. There is music and an exercise master leading the more than 30 exercisers in the park. One cheap way of working out.

5. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    I know you don't need to, but if you absolutely need to workout in the gym, Planet Fitness is a great deal. In most cases, it's only five dollars a month to join, and they have decent equipment. Not great equipment, but enough for you to get a decent sweat with.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why there are so many people who insist on working out in the gym, when the majority of activities done there can also be done in your own home for free. I am one of those people who will just walk and walk for miles if I need to do some exercise - and I can do that by simply stepping out of my front door, which is something that I do regularly. I enjoy exercise, but I don't enjoy paying for it, and the simple truth is that there is just no need to be paying for gyms at all really.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I do enjoy the gym environment, it's not always cost effective. I also get angry at myself if for whatever reason i'm not able to go, after spending so much money. The fact that gym contracts are very difficult to get out of is also very annoying, although I'm seeing a few roll-on-roll-off contracts cropping up.

To answer your question, my favourite non-gym work out will always be walking. I really enjoy it and can walk for miles without ever getting bored or knackered. It's very good at toning you all over, yet it doesn't feel like a workout :)

8. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I love walking too ! It helps me get my mind off of stress and it helps me feel at peace. Also, when I am walking I feel like my leg is being toned. That is the best feeling ever to me. I have thunder thighs so I want to take all the fat in my thighs and move it to my butt so I can have a nice butt. I also do squats once in a while.

9. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Try working out at home! Getting a gym membership may make you feel more motivated, and you may like the environment, but if you're looking to save money, working out at home is definitely the way to go. Maybe buy a yoga mat or something similar to stand on so that you don't slip, and then you avoid spending any more money on working out (unless you decide to buy more gym equipment). You don't even need to have a lot of space to exercise - try doing the plank, squats, lunges and other similar things.

10. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Has anyone ever tried Zumba or P90x? I have tried to do the Zumba workouts through Youtube and I must say it is very fun. They have just recently tried to incorporate African dances into the workouts. It seems more fun to workout to and the P90x commercials look very difficult and exhausting.

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Walking or jogging are great ways to workout for free. I do this with my son and I have lost a lot of weight but also gained endurance especially since he wants me to carry him sometimes. Even just a quick 1 hour walk can make me sweat so much!

There are also free zumba classes in some village. I have not tried it yet but my MIL has. Though she has not lost so much weight, she does it for fun and socialization lol. I think she enjoys hanging out with her neighbors.

12. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I have actually noticed that at my local community center there is a gym and free Zumba classes. But I honestly do not see myself as a good dancer. I would not like to be in a dancing class and irritating other people because I would keep messing up. That is why I would rather dance by myself.

13. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Walking, Jogging, and hiking are great. Bicycle riding, roller blading, and swimming are good too. If you have access to a kayak, canoe, or rowboat, those are great for your upper body. I often use exercise DVDs or internet videos. SparkPeople has a lot of exercises carefully detailed, including a lot that can be done with only your body weight.

14. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Gyms are (usually) insanely overpriced. I definitely see the value and have enjoyed going to a gym in the past, but I was paying $50 a month plus other stupid fees occasionally and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I love working out outside when the weather is nice (especially hiking and walking) but during the cold and wet months I'll stay inside and do YouTube workouts which are free and there's tons to choose from! Just go on YouTube and search whatever workout you want (ex: "Pilates" or "gentle yoga" or "cardio dance" etc) and you'll have plenty of options!

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're not keen in building muscles or targeting a specific body part, then just by brisk walking or jogging you can already workout. Doing strenuous household chores and playing with your kids and pets can also help you lose weight.

16. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to come here and say "walking, jogging, running and hiking are the cheapest!"
    But you guys already know that, as well as some other great stuff.
    So I am going to post in defense of gym memberships.
    If you look around you should be able to find a pretty cheap gym (I am paying about $15/month.)
    I find I always get a better workout at the gym.
    Even Arnold Schwarzenegger says that he only works out at gyms because he gets a better workout then at home.
    Something about being around others made him work harder.

17. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    Walking and running are great ways to be fit,you don't have to fight the crowds at the gym.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having a personal trainer is definitely super expensive, but I do think it's worth it to pay a gym for working out, the cost is usually not that expensive and you get many options. At least for me, I can't workout at home at all, I never could. I have to go somewhere else to be able to do it.

19. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    In a gym, your resting time is largely determined by other gym members. Your choice of exercises or equipment depends on what is available when you are working out. So, I prefer walking and running more.

20. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well it depends what your shooting for. If you're just trying to just stay in shape and what not then I wouldn't even recommend going to the gym because there's plenty of ways to do the same workouts you do in the gym without treadmills and weights. For a treadmill, you could literally run outside or at the park for free. There are also a lot of other training techniques for your abs and arms that doesn't necessarily require weights. I never go to the gym because I don't see the necessity in paying to do exercises that can be easily done from home at no charge. Trust me, I guarantee that you could find any workout for your body without even touching the gym equipment. My gym literally considers me lying down on my carpet and doing abs/muscle training. Nobodies gonna charge you in your house, that's for sure.