What Is The Cheapest Way To Workout?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by suegiplaye • Jul 28, 2015.

1. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I have found that I workout more consistently at home that I have eliminated so many of the distractions. For instance, it's easier to make excuses for why you can't get to the gym, I.e, too much traffic, bad weather, too crowded, etc.

2. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it seems to be the cheapest way to workout, but how intense is that workout? In order to perform a proper workout you'll need weights in the end and the problem is that they are very expensive, you can start buying them, saying that with the money you would spent on a year subscription to a gym you give for weights, but sooner you'll start needing more and more and I don't even want to mention about those weights machines in the gym, there's no way you're gonna get that at home, simply because you don't have money or enough space. So I'd say that going to the gym it's the cheapest way to workout.

3. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    Think of the cost of a years gym membership. You could be paying that for over 2 decades, and there's no doubt the fees will continue to increase from where they're at. Purchasing your own gym equipment is much cheaper, so don't wait if you're considering purchasing your own equipment and you have the money, get in quickly get the equipment and save the money for your other needs and wants.

Yoga is best! Whether you are 80, 40, or even 20, yoga can help you.It improves immunity system,bettersleep,increases flexibility etc.

#23Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You absolutely don't need a personal trainer. Look into their certification.. most have no clue what they're doing, they just took a quickie cheap course and now your health and safety are in their hands. jokes everywhere! LOL. If anyone does feel the need for a personal trainer (because the right one does have their pros), make sure you really look into them. Find a good background, not a recent high school graduate (or even drop out) that took a mickey mouse course to make some quick money. Not saying they aren't intelligent.. but that's a sign of money before true passion. They aren't for you. Find someone who has put serious time into their fitness and health education and go from there. Otherwise, just getting out and living life is good exercise.. with a little lifting to keep those bones and muscles from skipping town.

5. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I completely agree with you: )Choosing your instructor properly is first step, you must consider before going to gym.

6. BeccaShopper

BeccaShopperNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite (free!) way to exercise is hiking! It's great cardio, especially on uneven trails with hills and everything. I do have a weight set and do other exercises at home as well, but hiking is my main source of exercise. It's great to get outside and enjoy nature, plus you can get to know people too- hiking is huge in my area and we have several groups that plan outings together, it's a lot of fun!

I do also use YouTube for exercises too, it's like a free personal trainer. Another place that has great exercises to do is Pinterest- I have a whole board dedicated to fitness!

7. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I have read about the benefits of hiking on weight loss.Hiking can burn about 350 calories an hour.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    You're right, now that there is tons of content on how to properly do exercises at home it has become a lot more favorable and easy to just exercise indoors instead of having to pay expensive gym membership fees. I personally also like to just go out for a walk or jog and sometimes even swim if you have a pool nearby. Swimming is definitely my favorite since you get to work out all muscles without much time or technique needed.

9. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I completely agree with you : ) exercising at home is best part of my life. Swimming is good for muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the best things about exercising is that you only really need yourself to get it done/ Yes, many people tend to choose to purchase certain equipment and such. But you don't actually need them to be able to maintain a workout routine. You can come up with simple workouts, finding them online for free. Doesn't get much cheaper than free.

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I always just use YouTube videos. Why not?! You don't need a gym membership to get fit. A lot of people get fit at home and it works just as well. You don't even have to have all that equipment. Videos online are free too! So that's the best part. You can be in the comfort of your own home.

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    My cheap way to work out is playing sports in the park like basketball and running. I haven't really paid membership in the gym because it is very expensive and also a commitment I have to take. Sometimes, I also work out at home with some old home gym equipment that my father used to have and I just read magazines or watch videos on how to do some basic exercises and work outs. There are also times that I go for a swim in a clubhouse subdivision that my aunt resides in, because family members are free of charge to use the pool.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Running is the cheapest exercise you will ever get. My plan is to have a small home gym with simple equipment though. I'm using resistance bands and a pull up bar at the moment, but I plan to get some weights and a bench in the near future. In the long run I'll spend a lot less than paying for a gym.

14. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I totally understand, I am not joining the gym either or hiring a personal trainer. I've been exercising by walking daily and watching youtube videos. Youtube has a large selection of workouts that are so good.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Running in the morning is a great way to shed some weight and it's free as well. Running is also a great way to relieve us from the stress that accumulates inside our mind and body as we perform our daily tasks and routines. Aside from that, the only cheap way of working out that I know is performing exercises in our own homes. You can't really get any cheaper than that in my opinion.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One doesn't need to spend any money to get in shape. There are lots of free ways to exercise:

- get a pet, a dog preferably and spend some time outdoors with it.
    - jump rope.
    - ride a bike.
    - use your body weight: push ups, pulls ups, etc.
    - volunteer. do some community service.

With all these free ways to get some exercise who needs a gym?

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Like so many people here, I like to walk and run to get my exercise, with lots of sit-ups thrown in for some variety. I like to use smaller free weights every now and then, too, though that's primarily when I'm sitting around watching TV and don't have anything for my hands to do anyway.

I also use cleaning the house as an excuse to exercise. Just have to be a bit more 'vigorous' about moving around. It's surprising how tiring cleaning can be.

18. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    There are many cheap ways to workout, but are they all as effective as paying for a membership and going to the gym? Depends on your goals. If your goal is to build muscle, most probably the pushups you're doing at home or the curls with the small dumbbells won't help as much as a gym membership would, since the options for exercises are more varied there, not to mention the fact that increasing weights is much easier.
    If your goal is to reduce fat, running outside/riding a bike can do it just as well as going to the gym and running on a treadmill. And for cheaper.

19. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    I do not like gym. They are usually too full and you have to wait for machines also you can feel uncomfortable with people coming up to you and giving you advice you never asked for.
    I personally work out at home. I recently invested in some resistance bands, it came as a set and it was just over $30 but it's been worth every penny. I can get a full work out at home without having to worry about issues you would get at a gym and (my favorite part) no monthly membership!

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Amanda Simon@Amanda Simon Walking is probably the best exercise and the cheapest one. You don';t really need fancy and expensive equipment to get some exercise. You can put weights on or swing your arms for extra benefits. I don't like walking in my neighborhood that much because there are a lot of dogs around, but I have done so, and it feels good.

#40Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015