What is the difference between strength and resistance training?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • May 19, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I often hear and read this on the articles, but up until now, I still don't know what they mean and how they differ. I have a pretty good grasp of strength training. I thought before it's the same with resistance training. But I suddenly thought recently that they might not be. So I want to know if they are really different, and if they are what is resistance training for?

2. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I never really seen too much of a difference between strength and resistance training. Strength training simply means to build strength and/or size of you muscles through weights, repeated repetitions, etc. When someone refers to resistance training, it can get a little confusing. I have heard it can cover the exact same things from certain trainers. It can also include weight control. Generally, most people I have seen use the term for training with resistance bands and pulleys.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Resistance training usually involves bands or weights. You are fighting the elastic or gravity to make a movement more difficult. With lighter weights or bands you can do more repetitions for toning and endurance without increasing your strength. This is a common training routine for women who don't want to bulk up. Strength training most often involves weights or bands but with greater weight and fewer reps. This is more popular among men who want to look more muscular and bulk up.

For the most part, these two are the same activity with a slightly different focus. Like yourself, many people are unclear on the difference. This leads to using the terms interchangeably and confusion. Just make sure you know what your objective is so you use the right amount of weight and resistance to achieve your goal.