What Is The Expiry Time For A Toothbrush?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by luckycharm • Jan 12, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I often got confused over this. When we should change our toothbrush. I brush my teeth twice every day and I do it very carefully. My toothbrush often lasts for long and so I don't change it quite often - may be thrice or twice in a year.

There are two types of toothbrush - electric and manual and I use a manual one. I keep it clean and dry and I think that is why it seems to be very durable. But I am curious to know if there is any specified time period in which we must change out toothbrush.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my last visit to the dentist, I asked her about the life of a toothbrush and she said that it is safe to change toothbrush every 3 months or so. The reason for that is the durabitlity of the bristles. But we know that the quality of toothbrushes are not the same. By the way, I am not comfortable with the modern toothbrush design which has a roundish handle. I still prefer the olden design with a flat handle. Likewise, I also prefer the uniform bristles because the modern toothbrush now have a landscaped bristles. Brushing is easier with the old design of flat handle and uniformed size of bristles.

3. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    It really does depend on a whole range of factors alone. For example, electric toothbrushes are changed more often and manually. They, in turn, do last a bit longer than the regular standard toothbrush type. The regular toothbrush, which is found at the store, should be changed every 2 months.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't remember how often do I change my personal toothbrush. I will only get a new one if it is already worn-out, meaning its brushes look untidy, or if I misplace it somewhere. Now I am old. I have some problem with my gum. So I have to get a toothbrush with a soft brush.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Experts recommend changing toothbrush every 3 monthly. Although I only change when I feel the current brush is no longer beneficial.

Of recent I am making efforts and changing them atleast twice a year.

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I change mine every month, but it is because I bush my teeth with a homemade toothpaste 2-3 time a week that stains the brush (I brush my teeth twice a day but I use a natural paste when not using the homemade one). I get the AIM brand 2 pack soft from the dollar tree works great. During the winter months I change them if I am any bit sick to help cut down on me getting fever blisters and getting sick again.

7. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I change my toothbrush as soon as the bristles starts changing their shape. It is usually after two months. Sometimes it is before that too.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    According to my dentist a toothbrush must be changed every 3 months for safety purposes. I was also told that if your sick then the tooth brush must be changed when the illness is over so you won't brush your teeth with the sickness germs. I try to change my tooth brush every three months but I will sometimes give it an extra month since it still looks good.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am not expert in this field, in my own personal experience I use my toothbrush for three to four months before discarding. It appears I have been doing the correct thing going by what I gather here from persons who have sought expert advice regarding this. Just to add while using toothbrush it's best to keep them thoroughly washed after use then keep in airy and dry conditions.

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a dentist or anything but I guess changing brushes within 2 to 3 months is good. Well as for me, I usually change my tooth brush as soon as I see the bristles aren't in good shape anymore. But even if they aren't that messed up yet, once they are in the 2 month old state, I would definitely change my tooth brush by then.

11. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My toothbrush is a soft bristled one. I think it should be changed at least every three months. Remember we are cleaning our teeth to get rid of germs as well. Toothbrushes hold germs however well you clean them. Unless you put them in a bowl of boiling water after every use, what we are doing is brushing yesterdays germs around our mouths.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a battery operated toothbrush and have been getting good check-ups. I use my toothbrush till it stops rotating. I can time my buying with sales, so far so good. I know I should change the head more often, but I actually use it till it stops rotating. I buy new ones and not get he replacement brushes. I brush after everything I eat, floss & rinse too. If I eat a snack I'll brush if I'm not going to eat for more than 2 hours.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although most dentists suggest to change your tooth brush after 2-3 months but I suggest you change it as and when you see deformed bristles. The deformed bristles are harmful for your gums and do not clean your teeth properly. I change mine every 6-8 weeks to be on the safer side.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I just solely base on how my toothbrush looks like. If it's worn out already then I go buy a new one. I don't really follow the 2 to 3 month rule, because what if my toothbrush still looked presentable? I would have to change it prematurely? So that's why I replace my toothbrush only when they're worn out already.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you to the extent that if your brush looks fine and its bristle still straight you can still use it. But as per the standard suggestions by dentists if a person brushes twice a day for 5-10 minutes each time the brush is no more usable even if you think it is. It may damage your gums and teeth. But as I said it depends on use so you are right in observation too.