What is the very most inexpensive tablet ?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Happyflowerlady • Dec 8, 2014.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to get a cheap tablet that has a wi-fi internet connection as a gift for a friend whose computer quit. I have been looking on eBay at the used and refurbished ones, and even the cheapest ones are going for around $50, which is out of my budget for a gift. When I checked Amazon, they have some of the cheaper tablets on there for not much more money than the used ones are going for on ebay. However, the only tablets that I have had experience with are my iPad and my Kindle; so I have no idea which one of the cheaper tablets works best, and is easy to use for an older person.
    If anyone has experience with some of the cheaper tablets, I would like more information before I purchase one.

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Hi happy:). I'm kind of looking for the same thing as a gift for my son. He told me the other day that he wanted some kind of tablet from Microsoft. I should have jotted down the information when he was talking about it because now I don't fully remember what he said. I didn't jot it down though, because I guess I was thinking that what he was asking for was out of my budget, but as Christmas approaches, I have to get busy here and find a good tablet.
    I was kind of thinking about going the QVC route and trying to find a tablet on their "easy pay" plan that will cost me about 20 to 40 dollars a month.
    I want something brand new, cheap, but not cheaply made.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every single tablet under $100 is utter junk, besides the Amazon Fire HD6 at $99. If you opt for a tablet under that price point, you're going to be giving the recipient a piece of crap, to be honest. Ultra budget tablets come with older Android operating systems, a destitute processor, and a touchscreen that barely works. Your recipient's going to wind up dealing with far more headaches than pleasurable user experiences. You might want to consider a different gift for under $50. There are NO good deals at that price range.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree, the cheap ones can be laggy too. I've heard about Ainol being a cheap but good brand, but their prices start from $50 up.

5. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    That is the reason that I am asking for people's experiences with the different tablets. Which ones have you had that you disliked, and what did you not like about them ?
    Just saying that a cheap tablet is going to be junk does not help me very much.
    I got my Kindle on eBay for $50, and I am very pleased with it, and have been looking at the Kindles first, because I think it would be finefor my friend as well.
    It may be that she will get an after-Chirstmas tablet, when everyone has received a new one for Christmas, and wants to sell their old one.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    You should look into getting a kindle fire then if you want some cheap. There are other older model brands out there that you can get for cheap also. If you don't mind owning something used then eBay would be the ideal place to get something a very low price.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A Kindle isn't a tablet - it's an e-reader. The Kindle Fire is a tablet, though.

Whatever you do, don't go for an RCA tablet (budget brand found online and at Walmart for like $49) or a Nextbook tablet. They're laggy, unresponsive, and they can't keep up with the operating system. Avoid most tablets with an off-brand name under $100 because they're likely going to suffer from the same issues.

On the other hand, good tablets around $100 (sorry, no $50 options in most cases) include Asus Memopad, Lenovo Tab, and a few of the HP tablets.

Best Buy's Insignia brand does have an Android Jelly Bean tablet that costs around $65.00. It has great reviews focusing on its price and decent specs, but other reviews haven't been so kind. That's a risky choice, although new tablet users will probably consider it a high-performance tablet. I'd check that one out, actually.

8. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    Thank you, Troutski ! That helps alot. My Kindle IS a Kindle Fire. I really like it, but was hoping to find an even better deal for an off-brand used tablet. It is not that I just want to get her a gift; that part is not as important. I want to get her a tablet.
    She is even more broke than I am, and had to have her internet shut off; so now shecan't even go online to check her email.
    However, Comcast has a program of free xfinity-wifi if you have comcast internet.
    So, my plan is to find an affordable tablet, connect it using my comcast connection, and then she can at least goonline when sheis close to one of the Xfinity-wifi areas. There are some just down the road from us (she is my neighbor), and I know she would really enjoy being able to goonline again if I can set it up for her. I just have to find a tablet that will work, and is cheap enough for me to buy it.

#8Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I've been getting some good ideas from this thread, specifically the "don't go for a nextbook" comment. Kind of depresses me a bit though because I think a netxtbook is what my son asked me to get him.
    I'm gonna check out the Best Buy Insignia brand and see how I like it, only thing is, I don't have much knowledge about technology and what's what. I kind of find it tedious to do the research, but c'est la vie; it is coming up to Christmas time, I want to get my son a tablet that is inexpensive, but it has to be reliable, so I have to do a bit of due diligence research.

10. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    If you want something decent you'll probably want to spend around $100. Anything below that is going to be absolutely terrible. eBay is a pretty good place to look, and if you don't mind paying a bit for shipping you can get a good one in around 3-7 days from Tinydeal. After a bit of looking I found couple decent ones under $100 (Canadian, they'll cost less in American Dollars):

#10Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    Winnie, that is about where I am at with my search as well. Even when I read the information about a tablet, it might as well be written in Chinese for all of the understanding I get from it !

Being a NOT tech-savvy person is so inconvenient sometimes.
    I have found a lot of tablets on ebay that seem to be going pretty cheap, at least under $50 for a used one (which is what I am looking for) but it is hard to tell which ones are decent and which ones aren't.
    Since I know that I can't afford an Apple (which I know are excellent) and I really like my Kindle Fire; I have been focusing on the used Kindles.
    It does not have to be a Christmas present, so I can hunt for a while until I find a tablet that fits my budget.
    Maybe my friend's daughter will get her a tablet for christmas and that would solve the problem for me; so not getting her one right away also has its advantages.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Just as a final note this is the kind of tablets that are the absolute cheapest:

Note they're both junk.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got my Kindle HD Fire 7 for £169 last year and it hasn't let me down once. I love it so much I would recommend it. At first I saw a few mixed reviews and was hesitant to buy it. The thing that worried the most me was people saying they couldn't surf the net on holiday or away from the UK. I'm now in Botswana and I can whole heartedly say I do anything I want on my kindle without any hassle. I use it almost everyday as an ereader. I'd love an iPad someday, but for now I'm very content with my Kindle.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know of a brand that is fairly popular with those looking for the extreme budget Android tablets and the name is Kyocera. I'm not exactly sure how well or how poorly it performs but I'm guessing it does enough for what you pay for it. Last time I checked you could get one for around $40 or even less, though this was a year back and by now I'm sure there are a lot of other brands that have popped up that are probably a bit cheaper and they might even be a little more powerful.

15. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:

I agree with you that being a not tech-savvy person is inconvenient, and when you add to it my thing of not being really interested in being tech savvy, well that just compounds the problem.
    It's all so much information, and it changes every day, and the minute you invest in one thing, there's a new upgrade, so you need to sell your "old" one which is only like, 5 minutes old, in order to get a new one... which will be "old" 10 minutes later. It's just like, ugh! Really? I could be reading a book, or watching a good movie, or writing something pertinent (she said humbly), or eating some popcorn;), or laying by a beach or something.

As far as tech products go, I just want to buy "it", plug it in, and turn it on. That's it. I don't want to have to learn it's ways, and learn how it works, and what makes it responsive, and push this, slide that, download this... ugh. It's more work than finding out what makes a significant other tick.

And I hate buying used technology, something about it makes me feel kinda... dirty (lol, sorry!!)

I still have not yet found a tablet for my son. I need to change my attitude towards technology and my search would probably go a lot better.

16. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I have decided that it will probably be after Christmas before I find an affordable tablet. Although it is possible that there will be some good sales on used ones on ebay, most likely there will be more once people get "new and better" ones at Christmas, or with the Christmas sales.
    Winnie, maybe you could just set a price limit and then let your son pick out the tablet that he wants that fits in the budget ? That way, he can choose to spend the money on a cheaper, but new tablet; or choose to get a better quality, but used , tablet. If he picks, then he won't fuss if it is a used one, since he made the decision.
    When my kids were little and got Christmas money, I would tell them that things would be on closeout sale if they waited until after Christmas to spend their money.
    Even though it was tempting to just go and pick out what they wanted and have it for Christmas; they would usually wait so they could get something better after Christmas.
    I worked at a Christmas tree lot, so on Christmas eve, when they shut down the lot, the kids got to sell anyleftover trees, and that added into their christmas money.

17. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Most people think that cheap tablet are worthless but that's not true, you may be able to buy some of the best model cheaply if you research before buying them. My suggestion for you is that before buying tablets for cheap you should consider about some features like performance, price, size, operating system and function or you can also compare price for same model at various web stores.

18. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have one. It's just 60usd. Made in China. Not a brand name. Doesn't even have a brand name. No sign of any screws either. So it's a use-until-broken-then-throw-away kind of tablet. Well, it has been two years now. It's still working.

19. MD. Mahboob-A-Rabbani

MD. Mahboob-A-RabbaniNew Member

Threads:
    I had purchased a 7' tablet from "aliexpress" by only $38.50. There are also many deals available, you can get a tablet within $35 to $45 easily. I have found the same product available on ebay also, but that cost's $45. My device specification: "Allwinner A33" 7inch, quad core, capcative screen (800x480), Android 4.4, 512M Ram, 8GB HardDrive, Multi touch, Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Camera, 2200Mah Battery. I have already checked this item in ebay for you. Just simply search "Allwinner tablet" there are some cheap model, A23 & A33 & A13. Remember: I can play game and enjoy movie, internet is fast enough, but the resulation of the screen which has indicated as (800*480), I don't think it worth it, The angle view is not so good, But I think we can't demand more good product within our budget. This is the exact product for $40 - $50.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If $50 is too much for you, then don't bother. Anything under ~100 will be completely useless, especially as a PC replacement. Not to mention it will be some offbrand tablet running a system not optimized for it without Gapps.