What is your best tip for saving money on a road trip?

Discussion in Travel started by True2marie • May 27, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    In the summer, I often travel from Washington to California. This is a 14-hour journey, at least. My biggest tip for saving money is to travel in the wee hours of the morning. This way, I beat a chunk of the traffic and, as a result, save on gas and frustration.

Road-Trip.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    If you are not on a time crunch, you can take the back roads instead of paying for tolls. If you do your early morning idea then you will still save on gas depending on the route. Also, take food with you on the trip so that you are not tempted to stop at gas stations along the way and buy the over priced junk food you find there. Get yourself a travel mug, fill it with your favorite hot beverage and then enjoy the trip without having to stop too much. If you have to stop, try to stick with the rest areas because you don't have to get off of the road to visit them and it is less tempting to buy vending machine food. If you want to stop and see some touristy things, look up the 'worlds largest' sites. There are so many across the U.S. and most of them are free to look at it. It would make a hilarious album as well. I have always wanted to make that trip. We have done 10 states in 10 days, which included California, but I have never taken a trip along the coast. It sounds lovely.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can pack a tent along with your stuff and in the evenings find a place where you can camp. It will save you some cash you'd have spent at the hotel.

But that can only work well if you are traveling with someone. It can be quite risky camping out alone and having to pitch the tent without help isn't something you forget quickly if you succeed after a few hours of work, that is.

#3Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I always pack as much food as possible for a road trip. It may not seem like a big money saver but food on highways and turnpikes tends to be more expensive than usual fast food places so you can save about $20/day if you pack for your snacks and meals.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think packing as much food and water as you can to save on eating out all the time is the best way to save money on a road trip. This way, you might only have to eat out a few times during your trip rather than having to eat out during every meal. There's nothing you can really about saving on gas; that's entirely dependent on your trip and where you are headed. If you're going to a big city, there are very few time you'll be able to avoid traffic stops.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it is definitely planning and packing meals along. Not only do I save money not going in for fast food, I get a healthier meal as well. I will usually eat one meal at a restaurant if I am driving for a couple of days to give myself a break from driving. Whether you are tenting or staying in a motel, another big way to save is to locate accommodation ahead of time. Spending some time shopping for a motel online can give you an idea of the prices where you are staying and which places may have a cheaper room if you don't book ahead. If you don't plan, you will probably stay at the first motel with a vacancy and it may not be the best price.

7. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Its a good thing to be discussed and i guess can help surely when its about saving money on some tour because kind of awareness it is which works positively if a source works when its about saving money then surely it can help us with going to the next level and finding out a way for that.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would take along some basic camping equipment, such as a tent, mat and perhaps a portable gas stove. I save a lot of money by being as "self-contained" as possible. For that reason I always have a car that I can sleep in. I don't like to get stuck somewhere where I have to pay $100 per night for a motel room, which is the standard price around Australia.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't buy food along the way. Bring all that you can from home that you would be needing. If needed so, do a grocery first for your road trip before you leave. Bring a lot of water so you wouldn't have to buy them. Out of towns, they are very expensive. They are set to be very expensive for tourists. Don't open your air con. Open the windows and feel the air. Road trip with you car full to capacity. The more you are in the road, the cheaper the gas will be if you all pitch in.

10. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Many tips are useful during the trip and i really impressed with your information also but i shared with you tips that must take cheap tickets of plane and be safe during the hotel..

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of traveling on back roads as well as a way to avoid the tolls. Those tolls can be really ridiculous. I would advise to just be careful though going along back roads when traveling by yourself or at night.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do think you should at least consider the toll costs, but also keep in mind that it's not just your time that is different. You may have to go several miles out of the way on longer trips and will ultimately end up spending way more in gas, maintenance, etc. You should weigh the pros and cons before deciding.

13. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    That's an excellent tip! I, personally, love road trips and I'll definitely bear this mind.
    For me, I love taking trips out, especially during the AM, because it allows us to be able to enjoy the rest of the day when we've actually arrived out our destination of choice! If the opposite were true, and we'd set out, say, in the evening or during the night, by the time we would have gotten to our place of choice, then we would have missed out on the day itself, and we'd probably be too tired to do anything of substance anyway!
    My tip for you when it comes on to saving money on a long road-trip, is to pack lunch and snacks!, so that when you've felt the pangs of hunger during your journey, you won't feel as great of an urge to stop by a drive-thru, 'cus you would have already "fueled up" with what you had packed from overnight!
    It saves a couple bucks, and it also ensures that you and your passengers aren't frustrated because of the long wait for food.
    Another tip/trick that'll really "set you on your way" in terms of saving the dollar that counts when you're planning your road-trip journey, is to carpool. It's better that you and your friends travel in one vehicle that can hold everyone, as opposed to each individual who's coming, driving their own car! If you still need to use more than one vehicle, then you can use the option of making a special effort to conserve on gas about five-to-ten days before the road-trip that you've planned.
    This will help you to avoid having to pay as much to fill up your tank, and with these tips, you'll have less expenses overall to worry about!

Keep enjoying the road!