What is your favorite comfort food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 16, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I know I posted something on emotional eating a few weeks ago, so this question seems a little counter productive. But I would like to know some of your favorite comfort foods. I think I'm ready to just give in and comfort myself with food instead of fight the urge. :p One of my personal favorites is mash potatoes and gravy. I like to cook the potatoes with a garlic clove and then when it comes time to mash them, it is already soft. I add butter, milk and salt. But I also like the gravy to be like 'biscuit gravy' that has chunks of ground beef or ham in it. Okay, I'm hungry now...its Autumn in North America - this is like the best comfort food season ever! I can't wait to hear some of your favs. :cool:

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very fond of sweets, so anything sweet is my comfort food, like ice cream or pastries. I really don't like salty or spicy foods. I know some people consider beer as their comfort food!

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite comfort food is chips. I think that this is quite a common comfort food actually, because it's very starchy very salty and just generally not too good for you. I've never been one for chocolate as a comfort food, although I know that it's popular.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It used to be cream of wheat made with milk. I love that stuff so much, I don't know why, but it is just so good. Now that I have been gluten free for a while, I don't really have a comfort food so to speak. I guess I would say gluten free cookies, as there is a brand that makes some seriously good ones and I have been known to eat way too many in one sitting sometimes. But I can't buy them anymore so I don't really have access to anything that would be a true comfort food to me.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Egg and chips or egg on toast is a comfort food for me. Another is a bowl of mashed potatoes with some peas in it, easy and very satisfying. I do like my sweet foods as well, more chocolate cakes or cookies. Jaffa cakes were a childhood favorite and stiil are when I need a pick me up or some chocolate shortbread.

6. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Cheesy pasta! Now I make my own so I can make it as cheesy as I want.

I read somewhere that pasta is one of the most overpriced dishes in restaurants, because it costs so little to make but they charge tons for it. I don't know about this, but I definitely agree that pasta is cheap to make. :)

Also, I love ice cream. I actually have tried making my own ice cream before, but the ingredients are so expensive so I usually just buy a cup from the local store. It's cheaper because I only consume one cup instead of half a gallon. :))

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite comfort food no doubt is macaroni and cheese. It has to be homemade too!! I love to make a big pan of it on the weekend and we all just sit in the living room and eat and watch movies. It also tends to bring back memories of childhood. My mom makes the best macaroni and cheese and she puts crushed up potato chips on the top!!

It is sooo good!!!

I think I will have to make some this weekend!!

Danyel :)

8. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Carbs are a definite must-have for my own personal self-comforting. Breads, dairies, and others along those lines. As cliche as it is, I adore ice cream in times of need. Sometimes I'll find myself munching on crackers yet only catch myself doing so after a box is empty.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love cooking, and eating...I'm definitely a foodie and food in general can be a big comfort for me. Making it, eating it, sharing it with others. But my favorite comfort foods are a lot of the ones we associate with Autumn and winter time...hearty stews, savory dishes, pumpkin and apple flavours.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I have lots of favorite food and all of them give me comfort. :D But if I have to choose then these would be my top three:

1. Chicken soup with macaroni, cabbage and carrots
    2. Custard cake, and
    3. Hamburger with TLC :D

11. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely chips, that's always what I turn to when I'm in need for some comfort food, it hasn't changed in years, ever since I started looking for comfort food, that's what I turned to.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It would be marshmallows. :) I like how soft and sweet they are. I can finish of bag of them in just a few minutes! They are also very good roasted. But since I can't make a campfire every day, I just light a candle and cook the marshmallows there. :D

13. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    What a great topic.

My favorite comfort food in the winter time is a warm chicken pot pie with a nice brownie on the side and my favorite summer comfort food is a hearty chicken taco stuffed with corn, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, bacon bites and sour cream with a snickers bar on the sides. Just thinking about these foods make me super hungry.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite comfort food varies. Now, it's pancakes. Whenever I feel down I fix myself a stack of pancakes. They make me feel better instantly. Even preparing the pancake batter is enough to lift my mood. Dark chocolate is another, but pancakes beats chocolate hands down.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Mine also varies depending on what time of the year, but I can never resist Oreos if they're around. I try and avoid buying them because I can never eat just a couple and be ok with that. I end up eating a whole sleeve and feel awesome doing it, but it's not exactly healthy lol.

But I also don't think there's any problem with over-indulging in a comfort food every once awhile.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite comfort foods are thanksgiving foods. I love roasted turkey, potatoes, stuffing, macaroni, veggies, etc. It is always a fun time with my family so that's part of it as well. I think it's fine to indulge every once in a while too. I definitely do not eat a full thanksgiving spread on a regular basis!

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My comfort food would have to McDonald's cheeseburger paired with a large order of fries and a big coke float. Sometimes, when my means permit me to, I just drop by a trusted Korean restaurant and order any or all of the following: Samgyupsal (fried beef wrapped in purple lettuce and dipped in chilli sauce), Kimbap (Korea's version of sushi), Toppoki (rice and fish cakes drenched in sweet chilli sauce) and a big bowl of Ramyeun (ramen).

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Mine would be french fries. I love them and I order them in almost any restaurant that offers it. I like eating it especially while watching a movie, at home or at a cinema, and when I'm watching a movie, You can be sure I'm keeping myself comfortable. As for actual hefty dishes, I'd say stews are my go to foods for a sense of warmth. Nothing beats a hearty stew over some rice on a cold day.

19. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I love a lot of the food already mentioned by others such as mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and fries. I also love a good plate of spaghetti with tons of meat sauce and cheese. I could eat that everyday. In the winter months, nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of chili. I just love it. It warms you up and it tastes delicious. It even tastes better on the second day.

20. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite comfort food is chips. I like something salt when I am sad or stressed.