What Is Your Favorite Flavor Of Frosting?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Jul 16, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've been experimenting a lot lately with frosting flavors and so far my favorite I've found is caramel butter cream frosting. I especially like it on chocolate cakes!

I'm going to be making a lot of cupcakes for a birthday party next week though, so I was wondering what other flavors people love that I could try to use on some cupcakes for the party!

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Caramel butter cream and creamy maple syrup are my favorite frostings!

Cappuccino and Moka are other two great frosting that go well with cupcakes.

I have bookmarked this page with frosting ideas and other tips, thinking to bake cupcakes when Christmas times come up. You may like some of these ideas too.

Check them out,

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The caramel butter cream frosting sounds good. I like to take the butter cream, mix it with some peanut butter and flour and an egg and make cookies. They are the best and quickest peanut butter cookies you can ever make.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    In a past life I was someone who’d eat chocolate frosting straight out of the tub… shhh, don’t tell anyone. Haha. So I’ll usually go with chocolate as my favorite. Vanilla can be nice with certain cakes/cupcakes, though. And that caramel butter cream sounds absolutely delicious.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good grief, those all sound delicious. For me, it depends on the cake it is paired with. If it's a carrot cake, my favorite would be cream cheese. If it's a lemon chiffon cake, I prefer lemon frosting. Likewise, if it's an orange chiffon cake, my preference would be orange frosting, or perhaps a cream cheese. On everyday yellow, white, or chocolate cakes, my preference is for buttercream frosting, which is my ultimate favorite, and usually vanilla buttercream, although, again, depending on what it's put on, sometimes I will make chocolate. I also like the combination of chocolate and strawberry, so sometimes I'll make a chocolate cake with strawberry frosting, or vice versa.

6. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Home made cream cheese frosting! I feel like most crossings are way too sweet for my taste but the cream cheese seems to cut the sweetness a little and add some tartness. Yumm!

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Mint buttercream frosting! :D Love it on chocolate cupcakes. Oh yummmmmmm!

(Homemade, of course. I never even saw it in stores!)

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you all for the replies!
    Thanks for that list, @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint. It should be a useful one for referring to for ideas I think!
    I'll definitely have to try those cookies too @Pat@Pat! Thanks for the recipe suggestion!
    I'm with you on vanilla and chocolate being good, @LeopardJones@LeopardJones. They go with just about anything which makes them really versatile! I'm sure I'll be using both of those!
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane All of those sound great! What do you use for strawberry frosting? Strawberries or a flavoring of some sort? I don't think I've ever seen a strawberry flavoring and would be a bit worried about the amount of liquid altering the texture from actual strawberries. Thanks for all those suggestions! And I must say, I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!
    @dandeliion@dandeliion I hadn't thought about frosting some with cream cheese so thanks for the suggestion! It completely slipped my mind!
    And I really like the sound of mint buttercream frosting on chocolate cupcakes, @hellavu@hellavu! I would never have thought to do that! What do you use for the mint flavoring? Do you use mint leaves, an essence or an extract? Or something else entirely? I'd love to try it!

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always just used the basic vanilla buttercream recipe with strawberry extract, but here's a recipe I found using real strawberries:

Then, I found this one which also uses real strawberries, and the picture looks so good I almost licked the screen:

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Holy crap, those recipes both look delicious. Perfect to pair with summer treats, too. Thanks for linking them! Adding to my things-to-try list.