What is Your Favorite Horror Movie

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 18, 2012.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With Halloween just around the corner, we tend to go about and scare ourselves silly. Horror movies are a great way of having a good scare fest. I'm planning on having a movie marathon that would feature purely horror movies. I have lined up paranormal activity, Insidious, Phobia 2, The Grudge, Hostel and the Exorcist. What is your favorite horror movie? Probably I could also add it to the list of movies to watch this Halloween.

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Hellraiser. I will give Audition runner- up. I liked Insidious until the ending, but I dislike gorn films like Hostel. If I could recommend a movie it would be I think Rec - the Spanish version or Circuit - the Japanese version. But no get Rec because it's a great movie and the ending is horrifying.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you already seen Insidious? It's one of my favorite horror movies. Also, try watching The Exorcism Of Emily Rose and Shutter. Those 2 movies are quite scary.

4. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    Yes, I think The Exorcism Of Emily Rose movie gives me nightmares and I think it's a true story. Also, some of my other favorite horror movies that I enjoy watching are Chucky and Michael Meyers movies.

5. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I didn't find Insidious scary at all for some reason. They're coming up with a sequel to the movie and I'm hoping that one is better than the first part. The Grudge was one movie that kinda freaked me out. Possession 2 was alright; I expected a lot more from it. :(

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Audition is great, but I think my favourite horro movie would be Box from the same director. I'm not sure if it got a separate release, but it's a part of Three Extremes (itself a very interesting anthology).
    REC was great, but I got terribly disappointed with the second one, didn't even finish it..

7. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I agree. Insidious gave me the creeps. But nothing beats the scene wherein Sadako comes out crawling out of the TV! I've had a bad dream after watching The Grudge. Since then, I never looked at a TV the same again.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Suspiria will always be at the top of my list, but hunting down the wide-screen 16:9 uncut version is a must.

I'll try and refrain from posting the usual picks (The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shinning, etc...). Aside from the glut of re-makes that have been coming out over the past decade, there have been a few good original horror films that have emerged as well.

The Descent is definitely one of them, it's about a group of women who go on a cave spelunking trip and wind up getting trapped and hunted by these cave dwelling creatures. The interesting twist on the film is you can either take it at face value, or alternately there's a subtext to the film that what you are seeing might actually be one of the characters' descent into madness - in other words, she's actually the one doing all the killing.

YellowBrickRoad, while it certainly has it's flaws - namely the rushed ending, has an original story line about a group of people who get together to retrace the journey of a town full of people who mysteriously vanished after becoming entranced by these strange sounds playing off in the distance, only to succumb to the same occurrences themselves. There's a genuinely unnerving scene in the film that is almost the antithesis of a "gotcha" scare, where a couple appears to be horsing around in a grass field through the view of binoculars from one of the other participants. Slowly but surely you realize their roughhousing has gone awry and the guy is actually killing his wife.

Midnight Meat Train is another good one, based on a short story from the early 80's by Clive Barker. It's about a photographer who stumbles upon a brutal murder in a subway train, and starts following the killer, documenting his every move until he gets too close.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    The Shining is an all-time classic, but I also liked movies like The Skeleton Key and The Exorcism Of Emily Rose :)

10. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Just recently I picked up dvd copies of Aliens, and Alien Resurrection. I am a big fan of the series, and the original especially, but the rest, in my opinion, hold up pretty well.
    I am also a Hellraiser fan and I admit to liking most of the sequels in the series. Midnight Meat Train and Book of Blood are also interesting for Barker fans.
    And I am also a fan of the classic Barbara Steele film Black Sunday, a great role for the beautiful queen of horror films. This one does go back a few years. But it is an interesting one to watch and stands up fairly well. It is the film she is best known for.
    Ryder13

11. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    The original Thai movie

(not the terrible hollywood remake attempt), is some scary stuff, also

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Shutter looks pretty good. I googled it up and the pic of the girl with the bleeding eyes reminds me of Gogo in Kill Bill (Vol 1).

5386744268_0eaa21b550.

I'm downloading it now, thanks for the recommendation! :)

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cheesy horrors like Frankenhooker, Death Line and To the Devil a Daughter. Have any of you seen them? :)

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Miike does a lot of great work, but I go with Audition because it manages to really touch a lot of the bases horror films like including psychological horror, suspense, and gorn. When I mention REC I mean the Spanish version. The American remakes sicken me - 'cause they suck.

15. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Every Halloween, my wife and I watch 'The Shining' and 'Misery'. We never tire of either of those movies. Nobody could have played those parts as well as Nicholson and Bates.

16. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I had a blast watching some of your recommendations with my friends. I was really spooked with shutter, exorcism of Emily Rose, and Susperia. We also managed to watch The Eye and Phobia. I have some more unwatched movies in my hard drive. I'm still mustering up the courage to watch them alone.

17. moozentertainment

moozentertainmentNew Member

Threads:
    When i was at 10 years old, i would like to seen all the horror movie. now a days i wont like that much horror movie. while am watching on that time i felt fear. same if i watching now its making funny and lough.

18. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    While it's more of a psychological thriller, I'd say The Shining. A Tale of Two Sisters is up there too but that's another psychological thriller. I prefer creepy to scary any day of the week.

19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'd have to go with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi in "The Black Cat." The directing, the dialogue and the music of Beethoven is just simply fantastic. Another close favorite is the classic "The Picture of Dorian Gray," again the music this consisted of Frederic Chopin. I also have to go with "The Shining." All three top-notch films.

20. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    For some reason I will always like the Pet cemetery movies, it's a classic movie. And I agree with one the posters above, the Grudge is a very creepy movie. I can't watch this movie at all it really makes my skin crawl.