What is your favorite movie based on a video game?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Sep 26, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a general notion that movies based on video games suck. But, regardless of how bad these game-based movies are, I still have a number of favorites. First is Mortal Kombat. I was such a fan of the game when I was a kid that I spent hours in the arcade playing it alone. When I learned about a movie being made, I was so excited. I watched it at the cinema with my parents and I was in awe for the entire duration of the movie.

Another movie based on a video game that I would like to commend is the RE movie series. It's full of action and hot chock Mila Jovovich plays the protagonist perfectly.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Geez, i really don't know. Max Payne, Bloodrayne, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Hitman, Tekken, and all the others i am forgetting are all bad because they take the face value of the original product and rip it off, tainting the game itself.

3. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I enjoyed the movie Double Dragon. I think it was released in the early 1990s. Alyssa Milano was in it and sported blonde hair. The video game was amazing and should be revived in the future. The movie was fairly entertaining in its day but doesn't stand the test of time. Most video game movies are terrible so there's not much to choose from.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ooohh, Alyssa Milano... I think that's enough reason to watch the movie. Lol.

Nevertheless, I loved the Double Dragon games in the past, especially the arcade games. But I never heard of a Double Dragon movie. If I had known about it, I would probably have told my momma about it.

5. ml318

ml318New Member

Threads:
    For me I loved the Resident Evil movie series, I mean the story is what it is, completely absurd and unrealistic but there is little that is real within video games generally. I feel that what these movies got the most right was the portrayal of the Umbrella corporation and how it has ongoing "research" that is splicing human DNA with a virus known as the T-virus with varying and horrifying results. Milla Jovovich is the perfect actress to play the role of Alice who will stop at nothing, even death to stop the Umbrella corporation from destroying the world. Good stuff, it just takes a little imagination and it can be an enjoyable movie series to watch over and over again.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like Mortal Kombat as well, but probably only cause I was 11 years old back when I saw it, and I loved everything MK. I'm pretty sure if I saw it now, for the first time.. I would not care about it. Super Mario Bros. was definitely not a bad movie, it just.. wasn't Mario. And Tekken would be a pretty great B movie if they didn't decide to rewrite the whole story - the visuals were pretty damn spot on.

7. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite movie based on a video game would still have to be Mortal Kombat, and the movie's soundtrack is still one of my favorites, too. I did enjoy the Lara Croft films with Angelina Jolie, and of course, there's Super Mario Bros. :D

8. Mrs. B

Mrs. BNew Member

Threads:
    I'd definitely have to say the Resident Evil series have been the best. Unfortunately there are so many to keep up with, but they are really good movies. I was really looking forward to the Spyro movie and then the plan was cancelled for some reason (not sure why). I loved all the Spyro games -- it would have been neat to see it as a movie.

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

The only one I ever liked was Mortal kombat I love that movie and have seen it about a million times. It's one of my favorite movies.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have watched Street Fighter before, but I'm not really sure if I liked it. The story was ok, but not as engaging as the Resident Evil movies.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm picking Street Fighter. I know objectively it might seem like a crappy movie and an even crappier adaptation, but the redeeming qualities I've found in it have far surpassed what I know I'm supposed to hate about it. I don't even care that Guile had an accent because of JCVD, and I'm not sure I'd remove him from the role if I got the chance, by which I really mean that I probably wouldn't.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    Silent Hill is my favorite movie based on a video game. When I first watched the movie, I didn't know it was based on a video game until I search the movie online. I love Silent Hill because it's one of the best horror and suspense movies I have ever watched. I cannot wait to watch the sequel of Silent Hill, which is awesome according to the trailer.

13. CoachV

CoachVNew Member

Threads:
    I loved the Mortal Combat arcade game and made sure I saw the movie in theaters! I'm proud to say I own the movie :) Street Fighter was also one of my favorite arcade games growing and liked the movie a lot too, but it is a distant second to Mortal Combat, "Come here!"

14. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I have no favorite movie based on a game because they haven't been able to make one that is good. They have a bad habit of changing things and ruining the overall aspect of the game its based on. I think that since they want to do so many remakes, then they.should remake some of those bad made from games movies.