What Is Your Favorite Mug Cake Recipe?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by H.C. Heartland • Feb 19, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking for everyone's favorite mug cake recipe. I have one I use all the time that is really good and as follows:
    4 Tablespoons flour
    2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
    3 Tablespoons milk
    1 Medium egg
    3 Tablespoons oil
    optional is vanilla or other essence and then nuts, raisens or chocolate. Sometimes I put in a teaspoon of nutella or smashed banana.

I'm looking for a change, what do you like?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of "mug cakes" before. I assume that it's basically a little cake which you mix up in a mug, then cook, presumably in the microwave?

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Ooooh! I don't generally do the cakes, but mug brownies or cookies.

This is my favorite recipe for a mug cookie. ;)

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    My fave is a brownie thing:

- 2 tbsp oil
    - 2 tbsp flour
    - 2 tbsp cocoa powder
    - 2 tbsp water
    - 3 tbsp sugar

a bit of vanilla, a dash of salt, a pinch of instant coffee powder if you like coffee.
    as described on this website:

I put it 60 seconds in the microwave for a molten bottom, and I only ever do this when I have vanilla ice cream to put on top because the mix is delicious beyond belief.

I have not tried other recipes. I like this one because it's 2 tablespoons of everything except sugar, who gets an extra tablespoon for sweet and luck, so it's easy to remember always :) And since it tastes awesome, I see no need to change it.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Not to venture too off topic but this reminded me of a story:

So, my godchildren came over one night for a sleepover. The oldest is 14 in the group. Anywho, I always make them cake in a cup (which is what I call it). So, the oldest is watching me writing down my recipes (which we do sometimes) & I'm singing to myself, 'It's a cake in a cup. It's a cake in a cup, girl. It's a cake in a cup.' This is to the melody of an SNL sketch that will remain nameless but has to do with things in boxes. So, I get done putting them in the microwave & she turns to me from the paper & says: Saturday Night Live? And that's when I knew the internet destroyed my adorable godchildren!

6. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Yes! You are correct, I should have added that in my post. Once you start doing Mug cakes you might never go back. You mix all the ingredients up in the mug (or if you are making for larger numbers you can do it in a bowl before and then pour it in the mugs). But it cuts down clean up to a minimum as well as controls portions. After you eat your mug its done so there isn't a temptation to just have a 'sliver' more, and then more, and then more. haha I love them!

7. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Thanks for the amusing anecdote! I could picture her turning her head to you and saying, 'Saturday Night Live?' and I laughed. My first time shocking people with my mug cake was at a movie dinner party where I served them as desserts. There is no anecdote to my story but they had never heard of it before so it proved to be a good party pleaser. My first one was a chocolate lava 'cake in a cup'.

8. missbishi

Threads:
    Thanks! It looks like a great way to make a desser just for one - with no leftovers to pig out on! The recipes posted here seem so quick and simple so I think I'll be giving them a try! See you on the dark side!

9. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Here is a photo of a mug cake for any who might not know what it usually looks like. I have also inverted it onto a plate and it can be quite pretty. mug cake.

10. missbishi

Threads:
    Wow, that looks good! I like the way it seems to have come away from the sides of the mug - I had thought that the cake might stick!

11. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    It's also my first time to learn about mug cakes and the photo is very inviting. Makes me want to try and create one for myself. I'm not very good (and comfortable) at baking but this mug cake sounds promising to me. (I think I'll try a banana mug cake). :)

12. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    My personal favorite is as follows:
    3 tablespoons of flour
    1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
    1 tablespoon honey
    Approx. 1 tablespoon of butter (although I don't measure that, it's just whatever I get on the knife to be honest)
    1 tablespoon water

I usually add the dry ingredients first and mix them together, then add the honey and butter, then the water. Sometimes it needs a touch more water. I put it down to the ratio of cinnamon to sugar in the cinnamon sugar, and the temperature for how runny the honey is, that seems to make a difference there. And perhaps the amount of butter, as I tend to just roughly guess that! So long as it looks like a cake batter, not too thick or too runny, I'll stick it in the microwave. It usually takes a little over a minute, say 70 seconds, and it's done. I tend to set my microwave for 90 seconds and just watch closely for when it's actually done.