What is your favorite novel that was made into a movie?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 28, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We all have favorite novels, and we all have favorite movies. But when you mix your favorite novel with a movie it is hard to please people. Either people like the movie but find the book too long, or they love the book and the movie does not do it justice. But every once in awhile a film maker comes along who is able to capture the essence of the novel within their short time frame. Where the film lacks in length, it makes up for in graphics and soundtrack. An example of this for me would be the 1998 version of 'The Counte of Monte Cristo'. Since it is in English closed captions, you might have to find it under the name, 'Le Compte de Monte Cristo'. Some of you might see that it is a very long movie and think, 'Well of course it does the book justice - you have to watch it over the same period of time as it would take to read it!' So for a shorter film that also did justice to the story, I would choose the Masterpiece theatre version of Jane Eyre starring Ruth Wilson and Toby Stevens. Then if that one is too long for you - I also liked the version of Pride and Prejudice staring Kiera Knightley. I know I asked which is your favorite, implying one choice be given - but if you any of you have several you would like to share - I would love to read all about it! And then possibly get them for my collection. :rolleyes:

2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hmmmm.... I would say mine is Where the Heart Is. However, I haven't read many books that have become novels, so my answer is a little skewed.

Another good one would be The Help. Though honestly, that movie is so painful to watch at times :( well, all movies that portray racism can be painful to watch.

There are LOTS of books that I would LOVE to see be made into movies though. Many of them are true story memoirs such as An Invisible Thread, Waking Up in Heaven and Kisses from Katie. I highly recommend all of those books.

#2Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    I read and watched those movies too. But that sounds like the topic of an even better thread one day, 'which books would you like to see become a movie!' I'm going to check out those other books you mentioned though, I haven't read them yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The book thief probably is the one book I loved best which when made into a movie proved to be even better. I particularly liked how the story was condensed and emotion pumped into the screen story. The casting was also great. While most screenwriters fail to do a good job when adapting a story for the big screen these ones did a magnificent job.

And though I can't reread the book, I can watch the movie over and over and never get bored.

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have quite a few in mind, but my favorite has got to be The Lord of the Rings. I love the books and the movies are very enjoyable, too. For me, it has set the standard for how epic fantasies are supposed to be written.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Lord of th Blings!!! Err, I meant Lord of the Rings, ahem. Although Tolkien's sons disliked the films, I have to disagree with them, because for a man who had never read the books until he directed the films, Peter Jackson did a impressive job at recreating his own visual interpretations of LOTR - of course, Peter had Christopher Lee's help and knowledge regarding LOTR too, and Lee is the only cast member to have ever met J.R.R. Tolkien before he died. However, the Hobbit films have been good, but not as great as the LOTR trilogy, because Jackson decided to add a bunch of things that were not part of the lore of the Hobbit book.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love the whole Twilight Series. I've read all 4 books back in high school and i love all of them. The movies were not so great but still worth it because i love the stars who played the characters of the book. There are other books that i love as well that was adapter into movies but Twilight is my favorite. Don't judge me. :p

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Fame from 1980/81. I was a kid then but that whole vibe just blew my mind. Nothing like the remakes, HS Musical or Glee. This movie was raw, funny and simply unforgettable. The book was more graphic than the movie.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I honestly don't read that many novels but a fairly recent adaptation I liked was adapted from a graphic novel named Watchmen. I never read that comic book either but I really liked the movie. I keep hearing that there are some essential scenes and plot points that are missing but as of now I don't mind because I think the movie holds up on its own very well. I may change my mind after I get to read the novel itself though.

10. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    I just watched it this summer for the first time and found it very gripping. I did not realize it was a book so I'll have to check it out. I agree that it was very well casted. The story line was interesting to me because it was a common subject and yet detailed in a new and unique way that I hadn't thought about before. I am a book lover so it was special to me. I must admit I'm a sucker for a happy ending though - while it wasn't completely tragic, I was left a bit wilted. Although with that subject matter, what does one expect, right? They can't all end like, 'Life is Beautiful!'

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Fault in Our Stars is a really great novel. It's one of my latest favorites. The characters have rich and lively personalities that you sometimes forget they're terminally ill and fighting for dear life. The movie did justice to the book. Although it's impossible to capture everything in less than 2 hours, at least the essence was there.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Battle Royale. And even though I may be biased on this, I love how every medium it has been adapted to - movie and manga - is really its own distinct entity that stands well by itself. That's how adaptations should be done, I think.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Hm...most of my favorite novels do not have movie adaptations, and some have really terrible ones. The only two I can think of that I was heavily impressed with in both writing and on screen are a bit cliche; Most of the Harry Potter movies lived up to their books fairly well considering, and the Fault in Stars did quite well. I'm excited for Paper Towns now, too :).

14. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Harry Potter.... although in truth, mass majority of movies I've seen and read the novels...the novel was WAY better. I also love the movies that have been coming out based off of Comic books. I was a real comic book fan when I was a kid.

15. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower when I was younger, and it really resonated with me on a personal level. I love that book, and the movie was great. They changed some things, but the essence of the story was the same, and the casting was phenomenal.

The later Harry Potter movies are also pretty great, the first two are just kinda uninteresting and nothing really important happens.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite books is "To Kill a Mockingbird," and the film was excellent, helping to highlight the prejudices. Another one is "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," though I prefer the cartoon animated film version. The film was good, but some of the actors were not as I pictured when I read it. I think we all have ideas of what the characters will look and sound like.

17. smartdude966

smartdude966New Member

Threads:
    I like that the hunger games series is made into a movie. The book really captures what the character is thinking and it has the details behind what actually happens in the story. The movie helps you to actually visualize what the story looks like. My peers have said to watch the movie first because the book is better. I have tried this out and it is actually true. The move omits so much of the story. I get that they have to make it in a certain time frame but they should make a 2 part movie, which they are actually doing for mockingjay. Overall I like the books better than the movie, but the movies are a great recreation of the books.

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite novel that has been made into a movie is the Fault in our stars. I think it is the best novel to read and enjoy. Also you learn a lot about life from these books. But the movies was not as good as the book. I had lots of expectations from the movie and I think it is best if they had done a more elaborate movie.

19. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I love "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Man in the Iron Mask", both novels by Alexandre Dumas. I also like the movie versions especially the "The Count of Monte Cristo" where Jim Caviezel played the lead role. As for my other favorite novels that turned into movies - I still love the book version more. :)

20. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Whether or not we liked the movie? My favorite novel is Confessions of a Shopaholic, but I hated the movie. I thought it was done poorly and did not portray the character or the story well at all. And just so I don't look like a complete airhead, I have also read The Lost World by Michael Crighton (in 9th grade) and I also though the movie was done horribly wrong. Though I hear Gone Girl was adapted exactly as the book was. So that gives me hope that books won't completely be ruined by Hollywood in the future.