What is your favorite oriental junk food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Steve • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Being from Mediterranean, i am used to oriental food experience and i enjoy once or twice a week a bite of various junk food yummies, like gyros, kebab or something similar. I was wandering about the other people around the globe. Do you eat something like that, or do you stay on the traditional burger/pizza options?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh goodness, I practically lived on Chinese food for about a year when I wasn't able to drive. There was a joint right by my apartment that I could literally walk to, so I would go there a lot - instead of paying a taxi to take me to the grocery stores. Thankfully they offered healthier menu items too, so it wasn't entirely "junk" food. I actually lost a little weight at the time from walking to and from there to get it, as well as ordering their healthier stuff.

When I wanted to splurge and treat myself, I would of course order the Kung Pao shrimp or chicken, along with their pork fried rice and egg rolls. But I also tried to order their healthy stuff most of the time too - which was steamed chicken or shrimp and vegetables in their home made fat free garlic sauce over steamed rice. So I am getting lean protein along with a good variety of veggies with each meal. It was low sodium, no added fat, and no MSG.

Other days, I would get their "BBQ pork" strips. It was thin strips of pork cooked in this bright red, somewhat spicy but sweet glaze. One small container of it packed a ton of meat. I could easily make three meals out of a little $4 container of it.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a lot of Filipino food but have become pretty tired of egg rolls and the other standard meals. I really like halo-halo cause of the ube ice cream. There are lots of different kinds of bread too like mamon, which is more of a sponge cake I guess. I really like Chinese food too but it gives me a headache. Kung Pao shirmp or any other type of shrimp is usually what I order.

4. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Ha! I had completely forgot about Chinese food! Around here is not popular but we have one or two, and they are really overpriced! Is there a really good plate that i should try except fried rice and Peking duck?