What is your favorite Sci-Fi series?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by VTEC 9/12/44 • Jun 11, 2014.

1. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    My cousin and I have always loved Sci-Fi in some form. From superheroes to space epics, what are some of your favorites?

Currently, I am watching Star Trek: The Next Generation for the first time. I am also waiting for the new series of Doctor Who and watching some of the classic stuff with the older Doctors. As a child, however, Star Wars was my favorite and the original three movies couldn't be beat.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am huge sci-fi fan. It's hard for me to name one as my absolute favorite. I am very partial to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5. Stargate SG-1 is a fun watch and the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is one of my personal favorites. I'm not even going to list the ones I watched as a kid. It's just too hard to choose.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my God, my favorite genre is sci-fi, so I have plenty of favorites! Stargate: Atlantis was my very favorite sci-fi show as a kid; I've recently started rewatching it and I've fallen in love with show all over again! I'm still pissed that it got cancelled! SG:A was a spin-off of Stargate: SG1, which is another really good sci-fi show. They did Stargate: Universe, but I didn't really like it all that much. Compared to SG1 and SG:A, SG:U was really depressing. I might try rewatching it, because I heard they got David Hewlett to guest star... I also heard they're making a new Stargate movie? Which will be interesting to say the least.

I'm also a big fan of Doctor Who! I've been watching the show since is started airing on SyFy way back in 2005, but I've since been watching it online. I also really liked Warehouse 13, which just had it series finale, weh. They had so many actors and actresses from other sci-fi shows, it was nuts! The actors who played Kaylie and Simon from Firefly, John Sheppard from SG:A, Data from ST:TNG, Captain Janeway from ST:V, Gaius Baltar from Battlestar, Jo and Zayne from EUReKA and a bunch of others! EUReKA was another really good sci-fi show, it even got a canon crossover from Warehouse 13! I believe EUReKA was another show that got "cancelled", which was a crying shame. Battlestar Galatica is a great sci-fi remake, but you have to watch every single episode to even remotely understand the plot.

But, really, I think Stargate: Atlantis is my absolute favorite, haha.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a big Sci-Fi fan, Doctor Who, I just started watching it and really liked it. It is not possible for me to say which is my favorite. Star Trek, was a show my family would go oh no not that again, now they all look at Star Trek. SG1, I love Richard Dean Anderson. Doctor Who is new for me but a favorite, I am ready for the new season to start. And of course Star Wars is on the list. Warehouse 13 a hit with me.

5. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Those sound brilliant! :)
    I've never gotten into Star Gate or Battlestar things, but I've seen them around. How dark in tone is it? I don't think I can take more sad/scary things than I'm already doing right now.

Have you watched some of the classic stuff? It's fun to do while you're waiting. Besides, then you can get all those in-jokes like the stuff about Nimons and Time Lords. Also, you can try some Big Finish audios and some novels. They're good too.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:

Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis aren't dark. They are a nice blend of sci-fi and comedy especially SG-1. It did have its sad moments though. Stargate Universe is darker. I didn't like so. I didn't watch too many episodes so I can't really comment about it.

Battlestar Galactica reboot is very dark. I love the show. My friend bought the DVD of the last season for me, but I could only watch two episodes at a time. It's not for everyone.

I just couldn't get into Dr Who. I don't know why. I do absolutely love Torchwood and I watched only the Captain Jack Dr. Who episodes. Love that character.

7. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite subjects. I LOVE all Trek!, I love all it's incarnations. Love Voyager, Next Gen, all the movies, and love the new stuff too with Chris Pine, ect. I love Babylon 5, brilliant before it's time, and totally unique. Stargate, Atlantis, Firefly. I tried, but could not get into Doctor who. Loved Battlestar. Very awesome show, brilliant show. Not really about scifi. but about human drama, humans not so unlike us. And it's ending was perfect. I could not have done better myself on that ending. :)

Caprica, they just dropped, I would have loved to have seen them flesh that out more. It really was not looking like all the things you learned about humans and Cylons via the series. So I was very curious.

8. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    That's alright, I guess it's not for everyone. There are, I think, some books for Torchwood too. You might want to check them out. I liked Captain Jack too. I hope he comes back. It would be interesting to see what he thinks of the new incarnation of the Doctor, especially since he looks like John Frobisher from TW:CoE. I'm sure that matter will be explained sometime.

It's going to take me some time but I hope to see all of Trek. I heard Voyager was interesting. Was that the one with the female captain and that Borg lady? I haven't seen/heard much of it. Is that the one that comes after ST:TNG?

9. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, yes, Star Trek Voyager is about the journey of Captain Katheryn Janeway as the captain trying to get her crew home from the other side of the galaxy. And yes, it also has Jeri Ryan as the former borg.

I think you will really love Janeway. She is tough without being a word for women that starts with a B. I love her personality, and she is GREAT in the role. You can tell she nailed the role in that very first episode. Also, you can get a flavor of the family type relationships everyone would eventually have with each other. Most of the Trek's reflect that, Gene's original vision.

I watch it a lot, I love the characters and the growth of the whole series. There is a TON of humor in it. I mean a TON. Do give them some time to develop. To me it happened pretty fast, but once they get past that first year and get some more aliens other than the Kazon, it gets better. Frankly, I got tired of them before the end of that first year.

For me, its a toss up between TNG, and Voyager being both pretty equal. As I do love them both.

10. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I liked Torchwood also. I don't understand the progression of the series tho as shown on Netflix streaming. I mean, I think I understand the ending, but isn't Netflix streaming missing some years or episodes? I think it lost me when they changed characters. I need to start at the beginning again. I did try, but I don't think Netflix has it all, so it doesn't make sense.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I watch show on TV but I have favorites from the old days which are Star Trek The Next Generation and Stargate SG1. Star Trek was the show that introduced me to Patrick Stewart aka Captain Jean Luc Picard. I loved Stargate was because it starred Richard Dean Anderson aka MacGuyver, another one of my favorite shows.

12. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Alright, I'm looking forward to it, once I get through TNG. I love the family-style relationships with the crew, it's one of my favorite things about Trek in general. I also love the funny parts. There should always be more of it.

I have no idea about any missing episodes, I saw everything they had at the library in order. They're missing Miracle Day. I don't know what you mean by changed characters. Maybe that was on Miracle Day? They still had Gwen Cooper and Jack Harkness, right? Did they hire that cop that Gwen was friends with, Andy or something?
    I have heard, though, that sometimes Netflix doesn't have everything, depending on the show, or that it has them out of order. It frustrates viewers.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Still I love Star Trek the TV series. I love Jim and Spock and the ways they interact with each other. I like the way Jim gets himself into trouble, and the issue is resolved by the end of the sixty-minutes. I like the adventure the whole crew was on. Each episode was a mystery to be solved as well as an adventure.

14. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    yeah me too. It's so funny how Jim could talk a machine into destroying itself, and all those lines, MY God Jim, I'm beginning to think I can cure the common cold, or the ever famous I'm a doctor not a brick layer.

15. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately my two favorite sci-fi TV series are no longer on the air. The first one is "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I haven't been a fan of any of the Trek series since then, but I can still enjoy watching episodes of TNG to this day. The second sci-fi series that I love, but unfortunately didn't get into it until it was already long since cancelled, is "Firefly". I think it was a major mistake by the Fox network to have cancelled it after 12-13 episodes, barely a full season. That show really had it all - great stories, terrific acting, brilliant and witty dialogue, and impressive acting and visual effects. The only fortunate aspect is that the network allowed creator Joss Whedon to bring it back in feature film form in the movie "Serenity". I've tried watching some of the different Stargate series on the Sci-Fi channel and other shows like "Babylon 5" or "Battlestar Galactica", but they just didn't do it for me.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Spider-Man is for me! It's not a TV series, but it's the one that I really liked and that I patronize the most in all forms, in movies and in comics. I am not really into TV series, but I do really like sci-fi. It's just that I am more into movies and reading. I don't like long commitments. It's probably the reason I don't much engage myself into TV