What Is Your Favorite Street Food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Shine_Spirit • Jun 4, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I know they are not healthy foods and add practically nothing valid to our health, but sometimes it's impossible to avoid them, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I can't pick right between pizza and hotdog. I love them both and eat them on the street (usually in food trucks) at least twice a week. :)

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    You are right they are hard to avoid but I guess once in a bit doens't hurt at least I think. I also love pizza and hotdogs they are just to good to resist. I also love eating tacos that are sold in many places here, usually in stands at the edge of the streets and even some near my house. There are many street food stands here especially after 6 pm when mostly everyone is off work.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is definitely hot dog in a sweet bread bun with freshly popped pop corn, like the kind you got at theaters. I found a stationary food vendor that has both and I enjoy it-it's polish sausage though which is a type of hot dog, I think. It's soooo good to eat when you're out and about. When there was a Woody Hot Dog stand at stores i had to get a hot dog with relish, jalapenos and mustard. MMM, good. So mine is hot dog and polish sausage dog! I get a big bag of pop corn for just $2, so you save money for you got some to bring home for later consumption. I see people just go get her package of pop corn to bring home. It brings back fond memories of going to the theaters when you munch on her pop corn! :)

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    When I was in South Korea, I enjoyed those the meat and vegetable sticks. You could get those cheaply in this one tourist zone of Seoul. Also, another thing, I liked was this bread that you could dip in soy sauce. Well, I forgot if it was bread, but it was some sort of dipping snack food. Finally, boiled eggs and really spicy noodles, which by the way, you can get at Wal-Mart in the US, were huge treats.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I seldom buy street foods for the reasons you have made mentioned, but there are occasions which I joined with my wife and my grandchildren I don't want to disappoint them. I have to order some like French fries or a burger and a soft drink. But if possible I suggest to them that we have to eat nutritious foods or cook them by us.

6. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    As much as we would want to eat healthy, we cannot avoid street snacks. I am a victim of this as well. My snack is mainly pizza. Sometimes back I thought that in order for me to eat pizza I had to purchase the whole of it. I then learnt that I could purchase a slice. These days I cannot resist the urge. I think it's addictive. Normally after doing my shopping, I buy pizza with my balance. I learnt that purchasing a piece is way more economical that buying the whole thing.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai No matter how hard we try to avoid it, at some point or another we'll end up getting to them again. It looks like they have a kind of "magnet" or something, don't they? :D

Particularly, the most I can do is control the consumption. :rolleyes:

#7Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite street food is Choley Bathure. It is very oily and heavy food, full of calories. But I love them. Once a week we do get it packed and bring home for breakfast.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    The cheapest street food and the most delicious are ham subs that come wrapped in plastic. A 6-inch ham sub with lettuce, mayonnaise, avocado and of course, ham, only costs around a dollar around where I live and I'm pretty sure wrapped meals always cost less and are always home-made.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Street food is popular here particularly the fried and the roasted. In a grilling kiosk, there are a variety of barbecue on sticks like chicken intestines, chicken feet, pork rind, pork ears, even pork and beef intestines. They are broiled or roasted with a dip that is spicy and sweet. For the fried street food, we have the fish ball and squid balls plus the Chinese delicacy called quikiam and also the ordinary hotdog. However, there was a prevalence of hepatitis some decades back and it was due to the unsanitary street food. You can guess that we stopped patronizing those street kiosks and we just cook our own street food when we like to eat.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Actually I like many but Pau bhaji (local Indian dish) is my favorite. Pau bhaji with some cold drink is kind of street treat for me. We often used go outside specially for this dish. I know all these street foods are not healthy always, but yes it is hard to avoid them. I guess to have them once a while for a change, it should be okay.

12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    In my home country dumplings are very popular food. You can find dumpling from street to posh restaurants. You can eat dumplings for as little as 80 cents on the street where as if you eat dumplings on a posh restaurants it can cost you more than $3. Dumplings are my favorite street food. I also eat friend chicken wings or fried sausages on the roadside food stalls.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite would be Pizza and Fries. I love fries the most and often eat to reward myself for accomplishing something or even I eat it alone sometimes to have some "Me" time for myself alone thinking about life.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I like fries the most, one serving is 10 cents and 2 servings is enough to fill a small sized plastic cup. It's flavored too, I was surprised I saw some cheese powder on it as I left, and just came back for the fries after I went to buy another item nearby. Hotdogs and pizzas aren't peddled here in the streets unlike in the US, the food that gets peddled here in the streets are way cheaper and less heavier on the stomach.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I can't actually remember buying street food although I must have done at some time in the past. I would have to be really hungry to want to buy it but it would probably be a burger or a kebab as those are the most popular foods sold on vans these days. I assume we're talking about trucks and vans that park up on the side of the road and sell food.

16. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have to many street food vendors or food trucks in my area. There are a couple of them that set up around town once in a while though. One has barbecue and the other is Creole.

The barbecue one is good, and it's cheaper than going to a restaurant. We mostly do our own barbecuing at home on the grill. I haven't tried the other one, but I've heard that it is good. They say it offers homemade food at decent prices. I usually just eat at home, especially for lunch, but I should probably give it a try one of these days.

When I used to work in the city, there were a lot more of these types of vendors. One of the favorites was a taco truck with handmade tortillas. Mmm.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I love Pizza, Fries, Burger and Hotdog as well but my favorite would be Shawarma :D It has been my favorite street food eversince I first tasted it.I also like Kebabs but not as much as I love Shawarma :) I also like to Tacos and Burritos as much as I want to avoid them, I just simply can't as they are so heavenly and mouth-watering :(

18. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose each of us would have a different street food environment. Most street foods vendors in our country have less than ideal practices when it comes to cleanliness and quality so I've been avoiding stores like these in the last couple years. I'd rather buy from legitimate food outlets or at malls rather than purchase these foods from ambulant vendors. Street foods, in fact, have invaded the malls but they're typically more expensive and not quite the same as the experience of eating them on the streets. I used to buy calamares and fried large intestines from a stand near the office but I have since decided that these foods are too fatty for me and are not good for my health. We do try to copy the recipe of common street foods and give my son the experience of eating them at home so he would not have to be curious when he sees these products on the streets.

19. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite street food was found when I was living in Egypt. They have something called Hawowshi. I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling but it is how the word is pronounced. It is a flat bread filled with minced meat and baked in the oven. sometimes with chillies and spices. It is absolutely lush when it is eaten nice, hot and fresh from the oven.

20. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    Fries and hotdogs stand among my most favorite ones. Pizzas are avoidable :p