What is your favourite e-reader?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Dora M • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only just started reading e-books a few months ago. I bought myself a tablet and got all excited, downloading my favourite books from the internet. However, I noticed that my eyes get quite sore from looking at the screen for too long. After about half an hour I already notice the strain despite of playing around with the various adjustments of text size and background. Currently I am using the Aldiko Reader for Android, which I find quite pleasant and well organised. What kind of e-reader do you use?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer using Kindle as my eReader because that is what it is meant to do. Essentially, it has a light that is meant for the eye not that one which will make reading become so straining. I would recommend it to anyone to use it.

3. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I have a Kindle as well and I think it's really good for those reasons. It really just looks like you're reading it on paper. I have one that isn't back-lit, which I think helps. Your eyes might be hurting because you're looking at a bright light for so long. Usually though, I just use the Kindle app on my iPhone, but I think that would make your problem worse! I very rarely use my Kindle now, but I think an e-Reader just isn't for me in general. For people who do want an e-Reader, I would definitely recommend it.

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I have the kindle app for android. It's very simple and it lets you change the colors and brightness easily. I haven't tried any other readers but so far it's very nice. It syncs with all other kindle devices and programs which is useful too.

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have Kindle and a Kindle App as well, you can even sync your kindle to your kindle app. You can download the ebooks from your email directly to your kindle. I usually use epub and pdf
    formats. Its not strenuous to eyes also and there are many options to make your reading more enjoyable.

6. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    I got a Kobo e-reader, as I didn't want to be locked into Amazon with a kindle. This way I can get epubs, mobis, or pdfs from any source and they all work fine.

The battery life is great too, but I don't think that's an issue with any e-reader. Even with the backlight in use, it lasts days to weeks without recharging, depending on the level of use.

7. mikerossuk

mikerossukNew Member

Threads:
    I use a Nook HD+ which was a gift for Christmas, if you had asked me before that I would have told you I would never use an e-reader and would be a paperback man for life but its fantastic, I can fit countless books on it, the light is brilliant, doesn't hurt my eyes after hours of use, I can change the colors to make it easier to read. I wouldn't have it any other way and on a side note the Nook is brilliant value for money ($120). I would gladly recommend it!

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    iBook is my favorite e-reader. I am very satisfied the way they present the readings. It is easy to use, user-friendly. It gives me just enough convenience to whatever I am reading and immediate access to what I have to read. Although, I have not yet tried anything else, I can say that this is the best ones out there that call for another e-reader for me is not necessary.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I got a tablet a few months ago, so I transferred all my books there. Before that though, I had an original Amazon Kindle for years and absolutely loved it. It was one of the things I brought everywhere with me. My eyes never got tired looking at the screen and I never had any trouble reading the text.

The Acer Memo pad is ok as an E-reader. As others have pointed out, it's kind of difficult to sit and read for hours looking at the screen.