What Is Your Favourite Low Cost Meal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by littlewitch66 • Sep 11, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Mine is jacket potato with various fillings or even just with butter. You can cook them in the microwave for speed or in the oven for a delicious crispy skin and then add a bit of side salad to make them look more appetising and healthy.

Do you have a favourite low cost meal?

2. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is boiled sweet potato. It needs nothing to make it tasty. It is tasty as it is. Sweet potato is rich in nutrients and if a complete food.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite low cost meal is boiled water spinach. I usually sprinkle sesame seeds or sesame oil before eating. On some occasions, I eat it with a shrimp paste dip. Alternatively, I can season it with soy sauce and lemon. It's not only cheap, but quick to cook and very nutritious. It can be a main dish or side dish for me.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like potatoes too. They are quick and easy to make, and really filling. I also like eggs, it takes no time to scramble up a few eggs and in a matter of minutes you're eating something filling. If I have any leftover cooked vegetables and a little bit of cheese, I can add that to the eggs and make a quiche-like dish. Quick, easy, and cost-effective.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Believe me or not, my choice is pizza. I know many places where great pizzas are sold and with really irresistible prices. My pocket is always very happy, just like my stomach. :p

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I know buttered beans are quite easy to cook, I remember my dad used to cook them. Egg with onions is also a good alternative cheap dish.

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose some of my favorite low cost meals of mine would be burgers and rice, a pretty low cost and easy meal to make. Aside from that I would have to say some of the deli fried chicken that you are able to get from walmart, fresh. Also, I like potatoes too along with some nice white beans.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Several come to mind: tuna fish sandwich, baked hot dogs, boiled eggs, ramen noodles with egg, and scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, I cannot cook very well or at least haven't tried very hard in that regard. If that situation was different, then it would have been awesome to list more stuff.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like ramen noodles-just add hot water and wait 3 minutes and you get a meal. Get them on sale, and you can get a meal so cheaply. I love tuna salad which I add raw diced onion put the tuna salad on manoa lettuce to eat. I love this lettuce for it's not as hard as butter lettuce. I love to eat natto with green onions, add a little mustard to take away the smell, mix green onions and sea salt to taste with hot steaming rice, yum! Natto is so cheap for 1.39 you can get a meal with your hot rice!

10. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of low cost meal here at my place and among my favorites are fried tuyo (dried fish) with diced tomatoes and onions with calamansi as dip, fried dilis (dried anchovies), "longsilog" (longganisa, sinangag, itlog or sweet sausage, fried rice and egg) which are very popular among students and the mouth watery sweet potato tops mixed with chopped onions, tomatoes, calamansi and "bagoong" (anchovies sauce).

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I am in a hurry to eat, particularly when I come home late, the omelet is my savior all the time. If there is a potato or onion, I will just fry the ingredients before adding the beaten egg. And to add more flavor, I top it with cheese. So quick to prepare and no hassle not to mention that it is cheap. It’s so nice to eat with buttered toast and probably fruit juice.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That really is a great "go to" cheap meal (for people who can eat eggs). There are so many ways to fix it, and a couple of eggs hardly costs anything. It's filling and satisfying, and really, it can be had for any meal, any time of day.

I always get eggs when they are on sale, or when the farmer's market has some. If you keep eggs on hand, you can always whip up something.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go for food like Taco type of the stuff. You can see that those type of stuff contains vegetables. And it required it can get many small things into our tacos. So in that case you can see that low cost meal often means where you are required. That being said, low cost meal may not be easy to get in many places.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have so many low cost easy to make meals. I love trying out simple recipes each time. But if I have to choose one, then it would be the bread dunk by Nigella Lawson. 2 bread slices, cut round the edges, dunk in eggs and flour and milk then fry in butter. Add cheese if you want. It takes minutes and its the most delicious crunchiest meal!

15. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite low cost meal is "ugali" which other people call stiff porridge. I eat it with omelet and a piece of avocado. The combination is delicious and makes a nice meal. Actually, most meals here are cheap especially when you can make it at home. I also like fried liver. It is expensive here but I can reduce the costs buy just buying it raw and cook it at home. Better served hot with the 'stiff porridge'

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is pasta and soybean balls boiled together for 8-10 minutes and then lightly fried with butter, green peas, onion and tomato. Makes a quick meal in case I am not feeling like having a full meal. I add salt and pepper and no traditional spices with this dish.

17. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    Yes, I suffer with the same problem. There is a pizza store near from my home with excellent prices. I am trying to avoid this kind of food because I am trying to have a healthy life. However, I confess sometimes I can not be resistant when shows me a good pizza.

18. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is kind of funny. It is Garri, made from cassava. I love it as a side meal. It is soaked in water just like flakes and you can drink it with milk and nuts. It is nutritious and the taste is excellent plus it is one of the very cheap food item you can buy at the market. It can also be moulded into a starch and eaten with soup of any kind.

19. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I like offal, it is the reason why Asians and European Meat eaters have longer lives than American meat eaters. There is a nutrition in offal you won't find in luxury cuts of meat and they are pretty much cheaper. I am recently obsessed with kidneys and livers.

20. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I can feel that you are from the Philippines. I am a Filipino too. My favorite low cost meal is also tuyo (salted dried fish) paired with rice and tomatoes. I know that its smell may be quite offending for some, but once tasted may leave anyone wanting for more. I usually eat this kind of meal every breakfast.