What is your favourite salad?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JosieP • Dec 23, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I adore salads. My faves will usually have fruits in them though, I just love them that way. One of them is just oranges and red onions with a dressing I make.. it's so good! Another is spinach, cucumbers with whatever fruits I have (grapes and blueberries or strawberries are awesome) and a dressing of oil, real maple syrup and dijon.. I could lick the plate after that one. I might add seeds too. I'm a pretty plain eater, so I don't like salads with a million ingredients. So I tend to space the ingredients out in a million different salads instead lol.

Anyone else have a favourite? What do you usually put in your salads?

2. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I too am a salad lover. I love all kinds from pasta salads to cucumber salads (which are my favorite). I make cucumber salads often with a Greek kick to it. I add stuffed olives, feta cheese, etc. and splash it with olive oil and vinegar.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Any salad with some Chicken and Avocado in it is perfect for me. I really like creamy Avocado and it makes a salad so much better.

Throw in some salad cream and I'm basically in heaven.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My absolute favorite is Chicken Coleslaw Salad. I like coleslaw by itself but with chicken added in is just unreal for me. Thinking about it makes me hungry.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite salad would be macaroni and fruit salad. I just noticed that when I eat salads, even the pasta ones, I don't easily get full, like I could eat a full bowl of macaroni salad and I still don't feel satiated. I'm not sure if it's because of the elbow noodles which is lighter on the stomach as compared to the straight noodles.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time getting full on leafy salads as well, especially if they are veggie only - there's just a lot of water in them. And if I am drowning them in creamy dressings and cheeses, I may have well just eaten a burger and fries.

Pasta salads or potato salads on the other hand, I will inhale, lol. Even antipasto salads, I will snack on them all day long, and within a few hours the whole container will be gone.

If it's got some freshly grilled chicken on it, or some steak kebabs, I'm usually fine though.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot eat without a salad with my meals it just tops it off, I loved a traditional green salad until I went to crackle barrel and had me an house salad best salad I ever had, I try to eat a side salad with every meal I prepare. I also like fruit salads.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I love chef salads. I love the lettuce, spinach, cheese, veggies, eggs, and meats on it. I like either ranch on it, though I do enjoy blue cheese. I know it is the salad that "gets rid of all the old food", but it is so filling and all the different flavors really give it a nice taste. I make these at least once a week.

9. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    I don't know what it's called but many Italian restaurants have an amazing salad. It has lettuce and other stuff but they put some form of cheese on it that makes it taste amazing. Maybe it's just a Caeser salad or something and I don't know but it sure does taste amazing.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    If it has meat on it, as well as cheese, olives, pepperoncini peppers, etc., then that's an antipasto salad. And you're quite right, they are truly amazing. My favorite kinds of salads are the types that make up an entire meal, whether it's a chicken salad, a cobb salad, a steak salad. Served with some really crispy bread or bread sticks. One that leaves you feeling satisfied after you eat it.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite salad is potato or macaroni salad. I'm not really that much into the green leafy salads even though I know they are good for us. I just choose to get my nutrition elsewhere like maybe fruits for dessert, but having salad as an appetizer just doesn't do it that much for me and it sometimes even curbs my appetite. I do enjoy a well made ceasar salad every now and then, though, but as for something I'd be willing to eat regularly, I would choose potato or macaroni salad any day.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like any salad with a spinach base. Not a fan of iceberg lettuce. Not a fan at all. So, if there's romaine or spinach or anything other than iceberg, I'll be in the mix.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I love a wedge salad or a grilled Caesar. The wedges are so good but not something I indulge in often because they definitely aren't good for me. I like it light on the dressing and have noticed some restaurants now use pancetta instead of bacon which is a nice touch. My second favorite salad is a grilled Caesar, I didn't know this salad even existed until a few years ago--and is hard to find on most menus--but when done correctly it is really good. The romaine gets a great grilled flavor and almost negates the need for dressing.

14. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I like spinach, apples, and walnuts with a dijon based dressing. So yummy! Now I am hungry. Oh, I almost forgot to add chicken salad especially on top of crackers.

15. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE apple walnut salad made with spinach :) It has poppyseed dressing on it which is perfect, and feta (or gorgonzola). That, or caeser salad is pretty good too!

I'm not usually too picky about my salads but the one thing I don't particularly like in my salad is too much fruit. One or two kinds is okay, but when you start adding more than 3 that's a no-no in my book!

16. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite salad? It's either a chicken cesar salad or garden salad. I enjoy the crunch of both, but in particular the tangy flavor.

For chicken cesar salads, I like to squeeze a bit of lemon over the final mix of greens and protein. Also, on occasion, I have added bits of tomato too. It's a great combo. Conversely, for garden salads, I like them as basic as possible with only a dribble of vinaigrette.

Yummy . . .
    chicken-cesar-salad.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a salad for every occasion. Sometimes I mix raw and stir-fried vegetables together to give the salad a more substantial feeling. At other times I add nuts and seeds, or I use sesame butter and mix it with vinegar, olive oil and herbs, to make a delicious dressing. I also like fruit salads with soy yogurt and lots of cinnamon and stevia.

18. fanaledrinks112

fanaledrinks112New Member

Threads:
    Any salad with some Chicken and Avocado in it is perfect for me. I really like creamy Avocado and it makes a salad so much better.

19. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to get away with whatever I can get when I grab my salad from a buffet restaurant. At home, I don't prepare my salad dishes on my own, because we lack the fresh vegetables and fresh fruit to toss into the bowl. Out of the many types of salad dishes that I have created, I like to order Caesar Salad, with croutons. I also like to have a Tuna Salad with my sandwich, when I feel like having tuna with my salad. Egg Salad is a dish that my mother likes to make, and I often have this for dinner.

20. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I love all kinds of salads,, anything from salads that include meat, to pasta and all vegie salads and salds that include dried cranberries and nuts. Potato salads made with either mayonaise or an oil based dressing are great, too. I life in the south and in the summer we eat a lot of salads when it is so hot in the summer. No matter what kind it is, it is easy to put one together in the morning when it is still cool and then put it in the fridge for dinner.