What Is Your Feeling On New Technologies Such As Facial Recognition And Fingerprint Scanning On Pc?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Nikole • Mar 13, 2015.

1. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    My old laptop had a fingerprint scanner that could be used in place of a password to log on to the system. When I first got the laptop, I thought it was the coolest thing in all of ever. I used it for about a week before I realized how unreliable and annoying it was. My new laptop has been trying to get me to log on using facial recognition technology since I bought it. I finally got so annoyed with it pushing this service on me, I spent an hour Googling how to disable it (they don't make it easy, and I am always suspect when a company makes you jump through hoops to NOT use their service). So, how do you feel about things like this? I am quite annoyed, as it was difficult to disable and I do not want the computer using my face to log into websites and systems. For one it felt invasive, but for 2 who knows how unreliable/glitchy it will be. I'd rather just type in my password, it's not that huge of an inconvenience.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of having biotechnology on my phone. I like that it requires me to scan my fingerprints instead of putting in a code every time. This way, someone can't just look over my shoulder and know what my code is. They'd have to actually use my fingertips to get into my phone.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My feelings on the facial recognition software that has been introduced is not a good one lol. I feel like the government are using it to keep tighter surveillance on the people - not that that is anything new. But they are so obvious about it, and nobody bats an eyelid. In fact, people think it is cool that their freedom is being taken away, bit by bit.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it awesome. I welcome new technology with open arms. I remember seeing these types of things in the movies some years back and now, they have become a reality on our basic gadgets. It's nice to use them once in a while but I also still prefer the simple number lock or pattern lock on phones. I find them much simpler to use.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It will become the norm one day, but I do find that fingerprint technology can be good and annoying as sometimes I will ask someone to answer my phone and they can't. I swapped my back and if your hands are sweaty, it doesn't work or if the screen is dirty too. What about people who are disabled, wouldn't it be harder for them or old people?

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. I'm not really fond of new technology, I am an old fashioned one so I still prefer simple stuffs/things, and these gadgets and software/hardware that are now being introduced are making me anxious. Actually, this has been pretty alarming because the privacy of people gets violated without them knowing about it. Very sad, indeed.

7. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I think that they are pretty cool acutally!

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    What is sadder, for me, is that these new technologies are being introduced with a 'purpose' behind them - it is usually justified with the reason that we, the people, need to be protected. And the masses swallow it up. Yet when these surveillance softwares catch crimes in action, they are always grainy?? More cameras are being introduced to get us used to the idea of having our privacy invaded, even if they are more or less useless when it comes to the very 'reason' that they were introduced.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've not come across it on any of my devices, but I really like the idea of the finger prints in place of the password. It may just slow down theft! I'm not so sure about the facial recognition bit, though. It just seems a little bit invasive. I also have a feeling that the mechanism may not be durable, and I can just imagine it being very problematic when it starts to fail. Would that mean you have to cough up more money to have it corrected?

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    New technologies like facial recognition and fingerprints scannning are meant to protect people from the hackers. I have not come across it yet but I think it is cool especially with the fingerprints scanning. Come to think of it, you don't need to remember your password as your fingers come in handy. And when you type your password, you don't have to be wary of the people behind your back. I know it has its flaws but in due time, they will be able to correct that flaws.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fingerprint scanners and facial recognition in consumer devices are still in their infancy. Aside from Apple's TouchID, most of these features are flawed in various ways. The old Samsung fingerprint sensor (not the one for the S6/S6 Edge) could be beaten by random people. Facial recognition is especially vulnerable to similar looking people. Still, this technology will continue to improve and become more commonplace!

12. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    When I logged in I was trying to organize my thoughts and try to make my point without coming across like a ranting nut. You 3 did such a better job than I could have! I'm almost 40 years old and the government does not have my thumb print on file. I would like to keep it that way. It is only a matter of time before they take it to an entirely new and terrifying level. I have never owned a smart phone because of privacy concerns so you will definitely never see me anywhere near one of those devices.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I love how I can talk about this stuff so freely these days. Once upon a time, if you mentioned a topic or notion such as this, you would have been dismissed and cast aside. Having said that, I still would have stated my opinion. People need to hear it, whether they want to ridicule me for saying it or not. Planting seeds is important lol. :)

14. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think that they're intended as a convenient and secure means of protecting your computer, but more often than not they are quite unreliable. Fingerprint scanners go wonky all the time especially if the scanner or your finger isn't perfectly clean. I'd appreciate such technology if it became more reliable but right now it just seems like an unnecessary hinderance.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're not as effective as I thought they would be. I've seen a friend set his laptop login to facial recognition and the results were unfortunate. My former office had a biometrics machine for login and logoff purposes. Many people who came in just a few minutes or so before the time ended up late whenever the machine failed to read their fingerprints.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have never owned a device that has those features, but since my 2 phone's phone lock and PIN code has been bypassed because someone is determined enough to research how to do it, I now always google if a certain security feature can be bypassed. And as expected, there's a tutorial on how to bypass fingerprint scanning again:

So unless they develop a flaw-free interface, I will not be impressed or feel secure about these supposed security features. Plus, we are going towards there anyway, I'm just not sure if the worldwide privacy breach is gonna happen during this generation.

17. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I think technology is wonderful. When it works!
    While technology is definitely getting more and more reliable, I'm still not sure if I trust it enough to take the risk of being locked out of any hardware I own. A lot of mobile phones now have face unlock option that automatically unlocks your phone if you look at it. I've never used it as i tend to think...well what if it doesnt unlock your phone when you look at it? What then!

18. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    They should have no problem doing that.

This is why you should change your password. It's IMPOSSIBLE to steal the password you haven't thought of yet!

Prophecy-books talk about 'how the good people will be known by a mark on their face' AND 'how the bad people will be known by The Mark of the Beast.' That's why I prefer to go by the unseen fingerprints and the invisible face! Passwords & personal history-dates!

People--under the influence of Hollywood and -of traumatic injury--change their faces and fingerprints too unexpectedly to maintain them as identities.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I would have to agree with you, as far as technology being wonderful. But when it is being used as a tool to invade the freedom of the masses, and potentially control the masses, then that is the only thing that I have a problem with. Technology is more than wonderful. The only problem is that it is in the wrong hands.

20. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I guess "Whom do you serve?" is a constant-question you have to ask ('answering' not in the question-response way by saying "Just me" and going-on serving whatever else you are serving, but rather -in your actions).

And true, this identity-recognition technology purports to be designed to make your interaction more individually-secure; but the fact remains that the operating-machinery will remain totally under the influence of someone else (and probably MORE hackable when the tools recognize something you don't even control!)