What is your "go to" meal to cook?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Thejamal • Jun 6, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    What is the one meal you know you can cook quickly and is always tasty for you to it? For me, I grill some ground beef, put some rice in the ricecooker, and put a mushroom sauce over the ground beef. It always fills me up and it's delicious meal that I enjoy eating.

Does anyone else have a "go to meal?" If so, what is it?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite go to meal is a cheese quesadilla. I always have Mexican shredded cheese and tortillas. If I have some shredded chicken around, then I will make a chicken quesadilla. Takes only ten minutes. Sometimes, I will make pancakes. Pancakes are my favorite comfort food.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Spaghetti and meatballs. If I'm in a rush I use canned/bottles sauce, but I usually make my own. I use homemade meatballs, I make these in bulk on the weekends so I always have some on hand, toss them in the sauce, boil some pasta and I'm done. If I want to get a little more involved I make a salad too. This meal is quick and easy for me to make and always turns out well.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Mexican lasagna. Brown meat in dutch oven while preheating stove. Drain and mix in spices. Layer with tortillas. Add refried beans or rice and layer with tortillas. There is no official recipe so you can add more or cover with sauce and cheese. Let sit in oven for at least 15 mins or cheese bubbles.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Man, all these sound pretty tasty to eat. This can actually be a good thread for people to get easy cooking recipes, especially if some people don't really like to cook at all. If they see how easy some of these good recipes are, it might encourage people to cook more and save some money.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pasta with white Gorgonzola sauce. I simply make penne or fusilli pasta, make a sauce with cream, Gorgonzola, some garlic, salt and olive oil, than sometimes will put some chopped ham with it. It's delicious and so fast.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far, I only know how to cook friend rice, so apart from cooking that, I guess I will just buy corned beef and heat it and put onions on it. I remember also cooking noodles and oats during those times that there was no food at home and it's very early in the morning, like 1 AM.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    My next door neighbor brings me leftovers from time to time. Sometime the're pretty good, sometimes, not so much. Well, one of the things he brings me pretty often is chili beans with hamburger meat or sausage. A good odds and ends meal. What I like to do with it is add some onions and peppers, tomatoes, a can or two of tomato sauce and cook it up into a nice pasta sauce. It's really quite yummy with any type of pasta, and it lasts for awhile. And a lot better than the original.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, this thread is really making me hungry and it is not even a lunch time yet!

If I was really in rush and need to make a quick food then the first thing I would think of is omelette. I usually mix it with some vegetables and sausages or whatever I can add on it. I love eggs so much and I always have them stored in my fridge. I also have the habit of putting a lot of chili sauce on it when eating.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny for me it's oatmeal! I cooked one every morning for my breakfast and for my lunch. I cook the rolled oats. And I eat it that way, but I couple it with eating fruits. When I am eating it for lunch, I couple it with a banana, and that's it I am solved. But when I am bored with it, and wanting to eat something really delicious, I make a tuna sandwich with mayo, lettuce and tomatoes, and egg. It's so easy. Both of them are. In fact I can do them, each, in less than 10 minutes.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Me too!

I don't usually go with meatballs. Instead, I slice up some sausage and fry it quickly. Or if I want a beef-based meat sauce, then I just brown a bunch quickly and mix it directly with the sauce. I don't bother with making meatballs.

12. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My 'go-to' meal is pasta. No matter what, I can make up a tasty and quick meal with noodles, meat and sauce. You can even throw a few veggies in there and everyone still loves it!

My favorite pasta is penne. It's great with almost any kind of red sauce. Also, it's hearty. So, I fill fuller off of penne than other noodles.

[​IMG]

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fried rice is a "go to" meal around here because it lets me use up any odds and ends of meat and vegetables that I have on hand and it's cheap and filling.
    Baked potatoes is another one because you can put almost anything on a baked potato from chicken and broccoli to tuna and almost anything tastes good on it.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    If you talking about something you have to cook, it would probably be this odd cheesy chicken pasta dish I do sometimes. I literally just cook up some pasta (usually penne or the spiral stuff) while I'm cooking and cutting up the chicken in a pan, and then when both are cooked completely, I combine them in the chicken pan and throw in some mozzarella cheese and spices. Sometimes I'll chuck in some veggies, like zucchini or eggplant, but that's only when I have the pre-grilled stuff they sell at Trader Joes.

If it's something that is just my basic go to, then it would be sandwiches. Haha.

15. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    In twenty minutes or so, I can make a complete meal: unbreaded chicken tender parm. cooked in its own pasta sauce with pasta and garlic bread toast made with fresh garlic on the side. It's simple, tasty and filling. I can also make a quick "Chinese" with chicken tenders cooked in chicken broth with some rice and veggies stir-fried with broth and an egg and spices and some sort of sweet and sour, or duck, sauce for the chicken and some green tea to drink. A cookie or some sorbet or ice cream makes a good desert.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    My go-to meal is a Philadelphia cream cheese pasta with some bell peppers, carrots and basil to top it off. My brother and parents love when I make them that haha. Its very simple to make and it tastes great cold or hot. I mean, its not exactly on the healthy side, but considering my family and I normally eat healthy food anyways, its a nice little treat :)

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This sounds so delicious. I am going to add this to my list of go-to meals. I will put my own spin on it, but I love the idea. I rarely cook anything without adding some freshly diced garlic. Enchilada sauce would be great too. I just ate, but I'm getting hungry thinking about making this dish.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time if I am really starving, and want something substantial but right away, I will just go with a burger and fries - since it cooks up quickly and hits the spot. I always keep bags of frozen fries on hand, the thinner ones in particular since they cook up the fastest. I season the burger with just some sea salt, ground black pepper, a generous amount of garlic powder and some dried or fresh parsley. I will start it over a medium low heat to render out some of the fat first. I also like to cook my fries in the same pan as the burger, at the same time, so they pick up the burger grease and garlic flavor, and get really crispy. Meanwhile, I will butter and toast the bun under the broiler. When the burger is done cooking, I will top it with some cheese and throw that under the broiler as well to melt it. I'm usually pretty simply with my toppings - ketchup, mustard and dill pickles and a few slices of raw onion.

19. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My go to meal is the Fried Rice. It's easy and quick, as long as I have rice in fridge I can cook it with pretty much whatever ingredients I could find. It's highly customizable and as long as there's egg, it's almost guaranteed to taste good. Other than this is spaghetti, again very simple and easy to prepare.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite meal to prepare when I'm busy or running late is some sort of canned food and pair it with rice and maybe a hash brown, all of which I can just pop in the oven and come back to after a while. The best thing about this method is that I get to do a lot of my work and chores as I wait for my food to cook, so I don't even have to waste time having to watch over my cooking. I also like preparing ramen for when I'm really in a hurry since that only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.