What is your ideal movie length?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Nov 7, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Movies vary in length. There are some animated movies that barely reach 1 hour, there are those that are around 1 hour and 30 minutes in length and there are some that reach more than 2 hours (Titanic? Lord of the Rings?). Given the varying length of these movies, what then do you prefer? Do you prefer the long ones, the short ones or those in-between?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is there really such a movie that is only an hour long? What movie is that? The shortest movies that I've watched are usually 1 hour and 20 minutes long. Anyway, as long as the story keeps me entertained to the point that I lose track of time, then I wouldn't mind if the movie is 2 hours or more.

3. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind how long the movie is. I have watched a lot of good long movies and some bad ones. I have watched some goid short movies and some bad ones. I think that it depends on how much the movie entertains you. I think that is the most important thing.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The nature of the story determines the length of the movie. The more complex the situations, the more likely it will require more to time to set up the story after which the story can then unfold at the right tempo. For that reason, I don't suppose there's such a thing as an ideal length. If a movie is enjoyable to watch.

For example, the longest and most boring movie ever made runs for 87 hours.

Now that's one helluva a long movie!

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I think the average movie length is around 1 1/2 hours to 2. I don't mind if I am watching a long movie if the storyline moves along at a good pace.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could probably take a look at some animated films (Japanese). 5 Centimeters per second for instance is just 65 minutes long, 5 minutes over an hour. However, that movie was able to convey what it wanted to convey though and I felt satisfied (and heart-broken) in the end. As for my ideal length, I generally prefer a 1 hour and 45 minute movie.

7. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    The ideal movie length as per my considered opinion should be at least two hours or so. I have always believed and confirmed that two hours are relatively enough for a movie whose characters intends to pass on certain information by providing a strong plot, character development and absolutely allow ample action for viewers to have an interesting experience when watching it. However there would be always some exemptions considering that some characters are naturally boring and when they are to extend their boring experience you may find it a bother rather than an interest.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I ever paid that much attention to the length, to be honest. I don't mind long or short movies, as long as they are made well, the makers can take as long as they like to tell the story. I loved Watchmen, and I think that was about 3 hours long, if I'm not mistaken, but it did not feel like 3 hours at all to me. On average, I'd say 1:30-2:00 should be sufficient for most plots.

9. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    As for me it depends on the movie there are those I can prefer if they were longer while there are those others I prefer if they were shorter. But a great movie should be at least two or more hours of length. In most case when am watching a hour or thirty minutes movie I have always not get the on-go since I even don’t know all the characters and their major role in such movies.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you never hear a term "short movie"? And even beyond that, there are plenty of STV movies that are only an hour long.

11. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I must admit I have never payed much attention to the length of a movie either. I find if its boring I end up either walking out or turning over, lol. Normally the ideal length for me would be around 1hr 40mins

12. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I never really think about the movie lengths as well. I guess it depends on my mood, who I'm with and what the movie is about. If I'm with my boyfriend, then I'll sit through a 4 hour movie if I have to. If the movie is something that I'm interested in, then I don't mind the length either. If the movie is super boring, then I'd want it to be very short.

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of movies I will be watching. I am not picky about movie length as long as the it has a good storyline. I would say my ideal movie length is no longer than 3 hours, which is reasonable and the most common length for a movie.