What Is Your Opinion Of Homeschooling?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dorothymoreno • Sep 11, 2015.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, homeschooling can have its positives and negatives. One of the negatives are the social aspects which would pretty much be none for most home schooled kids. The reason being is because there are no other kids around. They may not know how to deal with certain situations. Then you have the fact that most parents never talk about such things because they are never exposed to those situations.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of places to connect with other homeschooling families, so if you're interested in learning more about the subject, or want to talk with those who participate in it, a simple online search or two will being up a lot of information. I know there are many homeschooling parents on Twitter and Facebook, and there are probably Pinterest boards on the subject, as well. As with anything, there are pluses and minuses, and it's a personal choice. Another thing to look into when researching it is the term 'unschooling', which is a form of homeschooling.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Again.. MOST homeschooled children are MORE social and have MORE opportunity to experience the real world and real life situations than your average school system children lol. Kids should be raised by family first and foremost.. and community as well, not other children (just my opinion)... they get plenty of time with friends. I'm wondering what everyone does with their children in the summer then, if school is the only way to do ANYthing it seems lol. Does nobody raise and guide them when they're home? They don't learn anything at all? Don't go anywhere? No new experiences or life lessons? Nothing at all? lol.. didn't think so.

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I'd venture to guess that there is a lot less bullying going on among homeschooled children, as well. The parents I've talked with and homeschooled children I've interacted with, plan events with other homeschooled children. I believe in some districts here, the children actually attend specific school events that aren't able to be conducted through their parents/homeschool groups, such as band. From what I've heard, books and lesson plans are shared among the various groups as well, so some of the costs can be mitigated in this manner.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The state love to brainwash people into handing over care of their children to them, so that they can further brainwash the new generations into the system of fear and control, and the small bandwidth of what they want us all to believe is possible. I am ALL for home schooling. I think that it is great.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there may be some situations where homeschooling is more appropriate, if the kids have some sort of conditions which may cause them to get bullied or harassed at school, for example. But beyond some specific circumstances, I am against it.

Twice now, I've known two families that home schooled their kids, and in both cases the parents were very overbearing, and very heavy handed with imposing their religious beliefs on their kids. One of the families went so far as to adopt two kids from Russia, even though they already had three kids of their own, and it didn't turn out good at all. Two of their sons are still living at home in their late 30's, and one of the two kids they adopted, their daughter, has been in and out of jail and ran away from home numerous times before she turned 18.

I also don't think it's right to deny kids access to teachers who know more about various subject matter than the parents do. As much as I love my folks, they're not math gurus, they're not history buffs, and they really don't get into the fine arts either. I majored in art, and my art teacher throughout high school, as well as some of my instructors in college, were mentors and a huge influence on me that my parent's couldn't have provided.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it's not that bad but you have to consider the things and experiences that your kid would lose if he/she is going to be home schooled. For one, the social interactions with other kids. Although school is kind of scary for both parents and kids since bullying is really a huge problem, you still have to let them experience a slice of real life.

If being home schooled means kids wouldn't be able to meet new people and learn from them, then it's really not the best in terms of actual learning since half the things I learned in school is not really about academics but more about experience and interactions and how things work outside.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In your examples, that's bad parenting, not homeschooling. I agree though.. there are plenty out there who homeschool to keep the big bad secular world away from their children, but it's not homeschooling that's the problem. Homeschooling to shelter is wrong. But homeschooling to give your children the best possible start at life, is genuine and is showing to be a much better option for those who take it seriously. Kids still end up in the best universities (if they choose that route) and on to amazing, full lives. Again.. those against should really look into it before labelling it. Homeschooling is not sheltering and there is more than one way to learn things. We have access to all the same information teachers do (again, if that's the route a homeschooler takes.. there are many different versions of homeschooling) and the one on one is beyond amazing for a child when it comes to learning and absorbing (hopefully nobody reads into that and pulls the antisocial card again LOL. We learn in groups too! Imagine! lol)

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you'd look back over the thread.. homeschooled kids have more access to real world experiences, outings and people than kids in school because.. well.. kids are in school! lol. Sitting quietly in their seats, learning the same thing for terrible amounts of time while the "home"schooled kids are off on adventures and learning through the real world we're told we're missing out on when in fact, it's the schooled kids that are missing out. Compared anyway.. I'm sure they all absolutely LOVE school lol. It's the social experience they love (most of them anyway).. and for most of the day, that social experience is put on hold.

In my opinion of course.. but if we all sat and thought about it, we might see school for what it really is. Obviously it works for many... but it doesn't work for many more and the system itself is a joke. Some of the most intelligent minds in the world, past and present, would fail in school. And look at grades. They don't do anything to show how intelligent someone is.. just how they do on tests. You can juuuuuust pass, barely understanding anything at all and become our future. That's scary.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo Everyone has their opinion. I am sure that homeschooling isn't for everyone, just as public school isn't for everyone. As for being qualified to teach my child, I would have to say yes I as well as most homeschoolers are well qualified, and it is what is best for my child.

@JosieP@JosieP This is so true! A lot of kids do make just a good enough grade to past and never really learn what they have been taught. There are kids that never learn to read correctly because they are just pushed through. The good thing about homeschooling is the kids learn at their pace and are excited about learning and not worrying so much about grades and just passing.

#30Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that schools today may not give the level of education you would want to see your child receive whether it is private or public school. I believe a child will learn what they want to learn. When information or opportunities have been difficult to get for some people they found a way to get it. When every thing has been given to a person, it was not valued. One of the things going to school with other people teaches is how to get along with others and how to adapt to situations. I often wonder if children that have been homeschool have the amount of interaction they need to learn to get along with others when they go out in the world rather than be in a situation where they will not know how to cope and be taken advantage of.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly :) I wasn't going to jump into this thread because I knew the type of responses you would get and I'd be repeating myself a LOT lol. As you can see, no matter how often you explain the benefits and dispel the untruths, people against it (yet don't know anything about it other than the kids aren't in school) have their minds set and are deaf to it all. It's far too frustrating a discussion lol.

You're all correct.. my kids are locked up in the basement right now.. greying and dumbing down nicely. I might feed them soon, but that would be far too much socializing for this fam. Not that they would know how to have a conversation with me anyway, thank gawd! ;)

13. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I believe the upside of homeschooling is the love and attention children receive. Many times, in large classes, some children do not receive the attention they need. It also allows for each child to move at their own pace. It also allows for creativity.
    When it is done effectively, I do not believe they miss out on anything, and they can gain more security in life as well.

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    There are some great schools out there. But, in many cases, public schools are like factory farms, versus small organic farms. One size fits all may work for many, but it also fails some. Yes, of course there are some who take advantage of their ability to homeschool, in order to brainwash their children and keep them from learning the limitations of their home lives, but those are not the majority of the homeschooling community. Those parents do hide behind homeschooling, but there are plenty of bad parents that slide right through the public school systems without being noticed or reported, as well.

There are good and bad on each side. If you take the time to learn about homeschooling, you will find that it's not scary. In most cases, the children are exposed to plenty of people outside of their own family, as well as various ideas and subjects. The homeschooled children I've worked with and met outside of the work environment have all been well behaved, well read, and curious. I have moved in and out of several school systems, and as I said, some are very good. Others are not places I would consider good sites to send children.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    You're 100% right and like I said, school is not about the academic learning for me, it's more about experiencing what it's like to be in a place where you're completely on your own and trying to find a way to survive the everyday struggles.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Truth.. and unfortunately, that's the kind of real world stuff they don't touch. There is very little "real world" in school...

17. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I'm doing it with my kids and wouldn't have it any other way. People have demonized it so much but it's a great way to go. Especially if you hold certain beliefs. Public school can be horrible. I hated school so much all through my schooling years. I always felt so alone and now looking back I wish I would have been homeschooled. There's so many myths surrounding it too. No, your kid won't be anti social or not have any friends if they are homeschooled. No, they won't have a harder time going to college, it's actually quite the opposite. And no, your kid won't be looked at as not normal. They are very normal! There's a lot of positivities to homeschooling and I have never heard of anyone who hated it. It's such a flexible thing to do. You can have your own schedule, your own pace, etc.

18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I also have mixed feelings about homeschooling and I do have friends that are home schooled. You as the parent must know what it is you are doing but you can't learn without making a few mistakes. I always thought home school kids didn't have enough "street smarts" and might get too awkward in social settings. I don't know how homeschooling would work but there have been people who turned out very successful.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many successes. Failures too. Just like school. Many people forget what they're debating when they jump on homeschooling. Kids turning out awkward and weird? Are you kidding me? lol. Right now, drop what you're doing and take a moment (because it's all you'll need) to think of all the awkward people in your life. All the people with depression and anxiety. The people who can't hold down a job. The drops outs. The people with anger issues or the people who are nothing but drama and waste their lives on others instead of bettering themselves. How did school help them exactly? The fact these people went to school is exactly what's wrong with them lol.. (a big thing, maybe not the only thing lol). In my opinion anyway.