What is your opinion on the Bible as an e-book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by MrsJones • Jan 10, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I personally won't exchange my Bible for an e-book. I'm sure though that there are many that have or will. It really seems to take away its spiritual closeness and solace to me. I shouldn't be surprised with technology advancing the way it has, but shouldn't some things remain sacred. Finding out this reminds me of the movie with Denzel Washington "The Book of Eli." Will someone have hidden away a copy of the Bible for safekeeping when devastation comes upon us?

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I started reading my hard cover bible yesterday. It was in a trunk of books owned by a little old lady. The style of writing is a bit off, it feels. I'm not religious, I just wanna know the story, and so far, I don't like the translation I have. Ebook sounds good; you can expect people will be curious eventually and take a look, which they really might not want to bother to do otherwise.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, definitely an interesting conundrum to think about. I think the physical copy of the bible is as an important of a religious symbol as the text inside the book itself. So I couldn't imagine people who are religious would ever exchange their hard-copy of the bible for the e-book version. The Bible is one of the few books that probably will never stop being printed as there will be a demand for the physical copies of it.

As hellavu said though, for people just interested in learning about the text and have an academic interest in it rather than religious, then they would probably be the audience who would get the e-book version of it rather than the hard-copy.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have come across thousands of books but I never thought ebook for Bible. I think it is quite a useful technique to read Bible in the modern world. I hope to use it quite well for certain requirements.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A digital Bible is no different from a real Bible and most people actually never replace. You use both. Read your digital bible when you are on your computer or traveling but when you are home read your [real] Bible. I write Christian-related articles from time to time and I find using a digital bible easier because I can copy and paste text directly rather than typing it out. It's more convenient that way.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My interest in the bible is pretty much entirely academic. I'm fascinated by religions in general. When I took a class on it, I tried to do it with my paternal great-grandmother's family heirloom style bible but it was clunky to use and I was always worried about damaging it so I switched to an e-book version. Actually, multiple e-book versions because there are a lot of different translations available depending on denomination. Comparing them was interesting in itself.

In one church I visited during that class time last year (as part of an assignment), I saw that some people in the congregation were using tablets or e-ink readers. When I approached one of them out of curiosity, they told me that they liked the paper version at home but having the e-book version allowed them to always have the bible with them anywhere, making it portable. They told me that their bible reading and study time had increased since they began using the digital version. That was a very interesting perspective, and ultimately, something that played a large part in the paper I wrote for that class (which was about how modern technology has changed the study and spread of religion).

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think both have a place and to use both is fine by me. Reading it online is good for those who write essays or look for a certain passage. The physical bible is more symbolic of something that is a source of comfort and precious though. When I hold a bible I do feel that it is something special, so in times of need people will like to have a bible nearby or hold one next to their chest. In a way it's like having God right next to you.

8. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I have a Bible on my E-book, but rarely ever use it. It's strange for me, although I love reading all books on my E-reader, I need to read the Bible in print for it to have that "effect". I am a bit of a minimalist, so I love having all my books on one device. 1 E-reader, and 1 book (the Bible) is perfect for me to carry around.

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to buy a hardbound Bible before but I thought that it'll only end up collecting dust because I don't think that I would be able to read it daily, let alone read it once a month. I know that Christians/Catholics should read the Word of God daily and I'm planning on practicing reading the Bible each day. In order to improve myself spiritually. That's why in the meantime, I choose to download an eBook because I'm still practicing my daily Bible reading habits.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    online bible hqve already exist for years and i think its easy to find the verses you want to quote and say it on que to the person you wanted to hear because "ctrl f" comes in handy. and same thing with ebook. I've encounter years ago and there there exist an audio bible too.

11. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I will choose an E-book over every paper book every time, EXCEPT the Bible. I have had my main Bible for years now and am completely comfortable finding a certain book or verse, and I think I would lose that if I went to an E-Bible. I do have an E-Bible installed on my Kindle, but I hardly ever use it.

12. tangiblesalt

tangiblesaltNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't like it very much. With books that are more complex I think a part of my still enjoys flipping through and I find that I don't have that same memory with e-books that I do with physical books: with a physical book I can always estimate where I read something and after scanning the pages I can usually find where I was but with e-books it s much harder for me to remember where something was and that makes examining the book much more difficult.

13. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I've watched it too, pretty interesting movie. :)

Anyway like you I will definitely not exchange my old bible (inherited from my mother) for an e-book. But I wouldn't mind having an e-book version/format on my tablet (just for quick reference). :D

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with Bible Ebooks. It's pretty convenient and obtaining them is much easier. But I agree with you on that matter, nothing beats a real hard-copy book. Call me old-fashioned, but I still do love the smell and texture of books, feeling them on the palms of my hands. :)

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, for the modern churchgoers who believe that the word of God is everywhere, an electronic version of the Bible is no big deal. On the other hand, hardline believers - either evangelical Christians or fundamentalists - would rather hold the traditional paperback Bible. As for me, it's better to have both a real copy and an electronic one. Leave no stone unturned, as they say.