What is your stance on animal testing/research?

Discussion in Pets started by sarz • Mar 13, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I personally feel it is necessary and extremely important animal research has lead to development of many many medical medicines and vaccines and in some cases complete eradication of disease. For example, smallpox.

Also ethics committies are in place to make sure that the animal does not suffer and they are only used where there is no alternative.

But the question remains what right do we have to say that animals should be used in this way? I feel that the benefit of it is too great to be stopped and it has to continue at least while whilst there is no alternative.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am opposed to it especially on primates and closely related species. I think it all comes down to weather they are conscious or not. If they are not then it is perfectly acceptable, but if they are then it is immoral.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I am all for it. What is the alternative. If we can save peoples lives by testing products on animals i am all for it. Cruelty isn't an issue for me because we kill, and eat animals everyday. So i do not see the problem with this.

4. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I'm totally for it to an extent. Like the OP, if the trials are done ethically and not done with reckless disregard for the safety of the animal then the positives far outweigh the negatives. So many vaccinations have been created thanks to the usefulness of animal testing and human lives have been saved. This is coming from an animal lover, by the way :)