What Items Can't You Travel Without?

Discussion in Travel started by nanachan7 • Sep 11, 2017.

1. nanachan7

nanachan7New Member

Threads:
    I think money and your passport are necessary of course. But another thing I will add is my smartphone. Wifi is everywhere now so I think it has become a necessity in communication. Messaging or calling someone internationally can now be free!
    How about you? What will you absolutely bring with you? :D

2. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Well I usually travel locally, like 2 hour drive to a max of 9 hour drive. Of course I would need money for that and a phone. Aside from those, I can't travel without a lot of water. When I'm travelling alone and I would know I would be travelling for an hour or two, I see to it I have at least two liters of bottled water with me.

3. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I love to travel a lot. I always carry my smartphone and my laptop. I would take a nice novel for reading purpose in the hotel.
    I would watch movies or watch videos in youtube on my laptop.

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I would always travel with extra clothes and my novels whenever it is going to be along the journey. I would like to be reading the novels so as to keep myself busy while on the journey and not to sleep off in the transit that I'm travelling on. Also, I always go with extra clothes whenever I am travelling not as a result of anything, but to be set if I am going to lodge on the way. I like to be comfortable and that involves changing clothes when on a trip.

5. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    For me, I make sure am with some of my books and my ipod. I don't ever forgot this two things when am traveling as they make my journey less boring and enjoyable.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You already said it all, money, passport, and phone are the major items that I simply cannot step out with when traveling. I might add my wireless headphones but it's not a must.

Without money, passport and phone, I think it would probably look like I'm being sent to prison in an Isolation. The money is what finances the travel, passport enables it and the phone makes it a lovely and one filled with connection than a boring activity.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I like to travel light and besides money and my phone always have my medicines and first aid kit at the ready because anything can happen along the journey so it is always good to be prepared to face anything. Other things which include are my extra clothes, my favorite novels, and my headset. :)

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I will take my medicines with me as buying them in a foreign country is far too expensive and cannot be bought unless one gets a prescription from a doctor there.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will travel with necessary clothes according to my tour program, my shaving kit (even if it's available in hotel) and everything else that keeps me presentable during my meetings and customer meets. Besides that I keep a couple of dry food items like biscuits, dry fruits etc just in case I do not get vegetarian items if I reach late or do not wish to order them.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside of what was mentioned, that I like to travel even on bus rides with, but I like to travel with my personal things, to keep clean like toothbrush, mine is battery run with all my other teeth caring products like floss, picks and softpicks too. I like to travel with all you said especially my smartphone for you can get in touch with anyone in the country you're in or someone at home too. I like group traveling with a tour guide for I feel safer with a tour guide and other people from where you live too. I figure you'd save money on tour too.:D

11. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    There is this concept that I have learnt from my good friends, the birds. This holds for both live birds, and aluminium birds(aircrafts). The rule of thumb, with these two, is that at all times, always travel light. This means that you should leave behind, what you don't need. Well as for me, I do not have a fixed list of what I should or should not carry during travelling, but whatever I carry should meet the stated requirement.

While visiting a friend or a relative for a couple of days, I like to carry light clothes and basic toiletries such as a tissue paper, toothbrush, a travel towel, a comb and maybe a cologne. However, when I go camping, I like to add first aid kit to the luggage just in case Murphy's law comes true on me.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @NicholasMukuha@NicholasMukuha Same here mate, I am a regular traveler and I travel light carrying only most required things barring a spare set of clothes besides what I would need according to my trip and number of days. I can make my baggage even lighter if the trip is for leisurely purpose but it's a bit different if I am out on official trip. After all who wants to carry more weight on his shoulders/hands or pay extra to manage them.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think you are talking about the minimalist traveler(haha)-so I would take a small carry-on bag for like a smartphone,camera,ultra small computer(7 inch)and put some of the clothes in the small carry-on bag- as well as toiletries which is very minimal. I would place in my backpack that I carry, a few more clothes-like pants and shirts in the backpack, also a interesting paperback novel -and that way I have lots of room in these two bags. The carry-on one and the backpack on my back are all I really need-and I am ready to go anywhere- you name it and I will go in a very light way of course !

#13Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  14. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 What you have said is true. Nobody would want extra weight on their shoulders, especially when travelling in places where you will have to wait in a line. You can imagine have to stand at every checkpoint, waiting to for all your bags to be scrutinized. Besides saving weight and handling costs, you are also less likely to lose your belongings, when you travel light. It will also help give you some space to add things, that you might buy from where you have travelled to.

15. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Like you said, money and Identity is essential But I don't think I can ever travel without my smartphone too Especially when I travel alone.

A lot of times i take in the scenes alongside listening to good music and when I'm bored of that, I read books on my apps, surf the net and chat.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Basically my personal documents (It's always my first concern), my money (since I don't like to use credit cards) and my smartphone (I can't travel without it).

17. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Keibah@Keibah Seriously, your smartphone? You wouldn't travel with it. Really, I wish that could ever be possible with me. Most of my activities is carried out with my smartphone, my banking business, withdrawal, buying stuffs online, even paying for my travel trips and expenses. All my life documents are contained in soft copies in my smartphone and uploaded to my Gmail account for safekeeping as well. I would even say that my smartphone is the first thing I pick up as my travel items.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit The items that you out listed are very important when one is embarking on a trip but let me give you a tip on how best to carry your personal documents.

It's not safe to always be carrying the hard copies of your documents and credentials whenever you are going on a trip. Your smartphone can do the job for you 100% without any stress. Download an application called Camscanner and use it to scan all your documents into your smartphone and have it all uploaded to email or Gmail account.

This way, your documents are safe for life as long as you still remember your mail login details. You can easily have access to them anytime and anywhere that you found yourself in. I hope this is helpful.

19. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    On the contrary to what you are saying, I can't also travel without it. Read up my comment again. It's a must have for me right now.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    As I said before, my personal documents are always my first concern. To check if they are organized is always the first thing I do. Everything else can be bypassed in some way, with the exception of this (which is always something urgent).