What Items Do You Bulk Buy To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Feb 11, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I like to bulk buy in order to save money. I do this on whatever food and drink products I'm able to because we always need food and drink in The House.

The main items I tend to bulk buy are:
    Pasta - I tend to buy several different types of pasta or noodles so that I have a fair bit of variety. For example at the minute I have pasta shells, penne, spaghetti and spirals which I bought in larger 5kg bags, plus I also have some packs of microwavable noodles as well that I got when they were really reduced at the supermarket because a product had a packaging change. I think I paid around £0.10 a pack for them, and they're always Handy to have just in case you need something quick.
    Rice - Again, I bought larger bags when they were on offer, and as it keeps for a long time it made sense to me to buy a larger bag.
    Canned vegetables - I hate making mushy peas myself when you can pick them up here for £0.11 a can. Even better when they're on offer and you can get them for £0.06 a can. It's not often that happens but when it does I tend to stock up even though they're cheap anyway. I also keep canned sweetcorn and ordinary peas in the cupboard all the time as well. When they're on offer I'll stock up on things like lentils and various different types of beans.
    Sugar - If it's on offer I'll buy more of it. It was £1.50 for a 1kg bag here for some time but one shop sold it for £0.45 so I'd always buy it from there in bulk to save the money.
    Flour - It keeps for quite a while, but I find that supermarket brands tend to be just as good and often a lot cheaper than buying the larger bags, so I tend to buy multiple smaller ones and save money that way on flour.

I do also tend to buy dog and cat food in bulk as well.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy in bulk that often because I am one person here, and it just isn't cost effective for me to do so, but if it is something I use a lot of, I will at times. Recently, I bulk bought Tortellini and spaghetti sauce because I will eat a lot of that. I also sometimes bulk buy fruit or veggies because I tend to eat those alot as well. It really depends on the special at the time.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The canola cooking that I buy usually have that promo of a discounted price when you buy a pair (that is tied with adhesive). Another item is the fresh milk from Australia that give a good discount when you buy 5 cartons. With pasta, there is no need because there is always a free 1/4 kilo of pasta as freebie when you buy 2 big bottles of Coke. That's a usual promo here so we never buy pasta for some months now. In fact, we just cooked 1 and a half kilo of pasta the other day just to use those promo pasta that we got from the soft drinks.

4. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, flour, oil, and seasonings are some of the things that I always buy in bulk. I used to be reluctant to purchase seasonings when I lived alone because I ended up not using them at all but right now have roommates who love to cook and I started to pick up cooking as a hobby so even though I buy seasonings in bulk, I can still use them from time and it definitely saves money while making your cooking even better.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    The number one item I buy in bulk is granola bars because you can buy them for cheap at Costco. Crackers, cheese, and meat are my other top choices. We go through a lot of food with school lunches and stuff, so whatever I can get in bulk is a good thing.

6. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    Oh wow! There are a lot of things I buy in bulk. It's due mainly because of the amount of people that live in my household. Some of the items in bulk that I usually purchase include: Hot Pockets, Egg Rolls, Rice, Canned Foods, Sauces, Meats, Ham, Cheese, Cat/Dog food, snacks for the kids, cereal, ketchup, mayo, pasta, hot dogs, lettuce, spinach, juices and the list goes on. It's more cost effective to buy in bulk when it comes to large households, but when it's families of 2 people or you if you live alone then it's best to buy retail.

7. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I also like to buy some things in bulk to save money. I usually buy paper towels, laundry detergent, soap, toilet tissue, and other household items in bulk. I usually don't buy food in bulk. I found in the past that when I bought bulk food items a lot of it went to waste. I also don't have a lot of storage to store bulk food items.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy anything in bulk as long as I feel like I'll get to save by doing so. Usually I do this for items I know won't spoil easily like ketchup or cooking oil. I also Do this with rice if the prices are exceptionally cheap but this doesn't happen all too often unfortunately. For non food items I always buy paper towels in bulk because I use a lot of them when I cook, so getting savings in that area helps me out a lot.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Pasta and rice are two of my big ones. I have these giant containers that I always make it a point to keep full, and it is amazing how much you can really save if you plan ahead. I also buy a lot of non food items if I see them at a good deal like cleaner and towels and things like that, but I think that I am starting to run out of space to put it all.

10. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very good about buying things in bulk. I know it'll save me money in the long run, but I can never bring myself to buy Costco-sized barrels of things. The only thing I really buy in bulk is toilet paper, I'm always going to need that. I try and buy cereal in bulk, but sometimes I feel like eating different kinds of cereal and the cereal goes to waste.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Just recently, I discovered a great deal on fresh chicken breasts at a local corner grocery market. They are selling 10 lb bags of bone in, skin on chicken breasts for only $12.99. At about $1.30 per pound that's far cheaper than what chicken breasts normally sell for elsewhere. For many years now, I've been avoiding chicken breasts since they were so expensive, and instead buying chicken thighs. But at this price, they're even more affordable than thigh meat.

I will also buy ground beef in bulk, and portion it off into hamburger patties, since beef in general can be pricey - so any way I can get it a bit cheaper helps.

I also buy pork roasts or chops in bulk, since they are a cost effective choice for a meat, instead of having beef or chicken every day of the week. Pork is also pretty versatile in terms of flavors I can pair it with, such as BBQ, Chinese sauces, and more.

I also tend to stock up on tomato sauces, since pasta is a cheap go to meal that I don't get sick of easily.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy things like toilet paper and paper towels by the case, and I get them from Amazon so they are shipped to my home for free as well.
    At the grocery store, I really do not buy things that we buy in bulk. We make a trip each month to Sam's Club, and there is where we buy fresh items like milk, butter, and eggs in the larger quantities.
    Occasionally, I go to the canned food store, and they usually have good prices for canned goods; so I will stock up on thing like canned beans and peas and other fruit or veggies when I go there.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy eggs in bulk, also canned goods. But we mostly buy non-food items in bulk like toilet paper and soap. Sometimes we buy instant noodles in bulk as well.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy in bulk as well. What a money saver it is. My only problem is I run out of room to store all the items I'm stocking up on. I always buy my toilet paper and paper towels from Costco which means I get 40 toilet paper rolls and 15 paper towel rolls. I also canned items in bulk as well. I like to get the large size bottles of laundry deteregent and dish detergent from Costco. Then I just portion them out at home into a smaller container. I always buy my rice in bulk as we eat a lot of rice. Buying in bulk save money but also time. I only buy nonperishable items in bulk. I learned when I bought too many yogurts and had to toss some when we hadn't eaten them by the expiration date.

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely easiest to buy non perishable foods in bulk. I also buy almond and soy milk because it is south less expensive to buy in bulk compared to the local store. I also find nuts and vitamins are a lot cheaper when bought on bulk.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to buy the same sort of stuff as everyone else in bulk. Things like toiletries as in toilet rolls, shower gel and toothpaste. I also stock up on non-perishables like rice, pasta, cereals and sauces. Cleaning materials are also good for this sort of thing. I usually have a budget and set off for the wholesalers. I find that this really saves me money when I go groceries shopping over the subsequent 3-4 months.