What kind of browsers do you guys use?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by pristine • Sep 24, 2013.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh. Well that makes sense. It is so weird for me to think that Macs have different versions too - older and newer. But it makes sense. Did you have to learn PC for work? Which one did you know first, and was learning the other one really difficult? When I say they are impossible, I mean I could not get the mac to do even the most simple thing. It is like a completely different universe, using a mac when you are used to PC's.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass....I worked with PCs for a very long time until one day out of the blue, my husband decided he wanted a MacBook. So I encouraged him to get it, although I was personally not interested at that point. I remember when we first received it, he wouldn't shut up about how much he loved it. So I had a go and totally agreed. We both loved it so much that we then got me one too LOL

I have to say, if you've worked on PC for ages, Macs can take some getting used to. But once you get the hang of it, you realise just how clunky and cumbersome PCs are in comparison to Macs. It gets even more confusing when you have to work with both, having to alternate between them like I am. But you just make it work, I guess.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Chrome as my browser of choice. It is fast and has a lot of extensions I find useful. I use other browsers on occassion, but I would say Chrome is my favorite. I use it for a lot of different things. I am not adverse to using other browsers though. I use most of the major ones at least on ocassion.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, a lot of people prefer Macbooks over PC's. The biggest thing that I would like about Macbooks over PC is that apparently Macbooks are harder (or are they impossible?) to infect with malicious software. Not sure if that is true or not, but it is said that they are. What sort of things do you prefer about Macs over PC's?

5. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    For my daily browsing activities I use Chrome. It is all the more important to me as I am a software developer, and Chrome's built in developer tools are quite amazing. Apart from this Chrome also has a blazingly fast render engine and snappy.

However, when working with slightly older hardware, Chrome is very slow, as it hogs a lot of memory (search for space-time tradeoff). In this case, I use Midomi, which is advertised as a very lightweight browser. However you should be aware that it does not have JavaScript enabled by default and that is something that may feel a bit odd at first.

Hope I helped!

6. Lushlala

Threads:
    I'm glad to say what you've heard is absolutely true! As far as I know, our Mac laptop and desktop have never had any problems with being infected with malicious software. Even when we do a scan for viruses, we never come across a catalogue of harmful virus, as you would on a PC. Also, one of the big ones for me is the fact that I never or very seldom have any pop ups. They're smoother and quicker, and respond a lot better. Macs also generally don't need as much maintenance. Whenever the operating systems change, we get we get them for free, and it appears we get them for life. We have never had to pay to update our operating systems. Oh, the list goes on and on, and I'd say to get the full experience, I'd urge you to make the swap now; and I promise, you won't ever want to go back to PC.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my God, that is amazing. One of my main concerns when it comes to maintaining my PC is keeping viruses and malware off of it. So to not really have to bother with that worry must make the whole experience much more enjoyable than a PC. It sounds so much better. I actually might invest in a mac purely for online earning purposes. The only thing is that only certain games are available for mac.

8. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely not an Internet Explorer. When I first saw it I immediately thought "damn, what a nightmare!". So, I've tried many since. On my PC, I mostly use Google Chrome. It's pretty convenient and I like it a lot. I like its design as well. When it comes to using a smartphone, my choice is Opera. This one is pretty strong too.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Internet explorer has not been the best browser for a very long time now. For years now. And on top of that, we have had other browsers coming out over the years and completely surpassing what IE has done. I rarely talk to anybody who actually uses IE these days. It is all about Chrome, or Opera, or safari, and with good reason.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    It definitely is amazing, @DreekLass@DreekLass! Maybe you could start off with a second hand MacBook from eBay, just to get a feel for it and to be sure you'll like it, before biting the bullet and buying a brand new one. That's what my husband and I did with the first ones we got. They are usually very reasonably priced and we were lucky to have very pleasant experiences with the sellers, bar just 1.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice. That is great advice ;) I can imagine how they last a lot longer than PC's just because of the things that they are resistant to. Do you have to reformat Macbooks often? That is one of my issues with PC's - having to reformat them and get rid of everything every few years or so. It can be so annoying.

12. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Chrome all the way these days. I use firefox as a secondary browser if people need to use my laptop and I have tabs open, because that comes up quite a bit. Can't have people closing tabs worth $30 ever again -_-

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    It's a pleasure, DreekLass :) No, we never have to mess around with our Macs at all. In fact, Apple seriously discourages people from getting into their machines and 'fixing' them. If something goes wrong with it, you need to consult with an authorized and/or trained Apple technician, rather than doing it yourself. Failing to do so or even changing things around, can mean you're unable to get the help you need from an Apple store, even if your device is still under warranty. We never have to reformat.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about having to contact an outsider to fix any problems. I like to be able to fix any issues that may come up myself. Relying on other people has always been an issue for me lol, which sucks because life is essentially about relying on and trusting other people. But then again, it sounds like it is not likely that many things would go wrong too often.

15. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personallythink that Mozilla Firefox is better because it actually works way better than Chrome on my PC, however I definitely prefer Chrome as it is faster and looks way better than Mozilla itself.

16. Lushlala

Threads:

You said it right there, DreekLass....Macs, as long as they're properly taken care of, very rarely break down. The Apple staff are also very, very courteous and helpful at all times, so I wouldn't necessarily view it as an inconvenience. Macs are very intricately built and not designed to be opened up and messed around with by people who aren't technically trained to do so. So you'd be best leaving it to the experts.

But of course, it really is dependent on your preference. On the whole, some people may be of the opinion that these things go in swings and round abouts. But as far as i know, everyone I know who's tried a Mac, never wants to go back to PC LOL

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Any way I look at it, having to go to Apple to fix my Mac would feel like an inconvenience to me, for sure. First of all, I don't have a car, and those that do have cars in my family - I don't particularly want to have to ask them to take me to get my mac looked at by Apple staff. I really like that I know so much about PC's and that I am able to fic them myself if anything goes wrong. On the other hand there are so many benefits to owning a mac it seems.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    On my computer I use Google Chrome. I find it to the best, fastest and most reliable web browser. It very rarely, if ever crashes or stalls. It's just convenient and efficent. I see no reason to change to anything else. On my phone, I use Safari. It's pretty decent but nowhere near as good as Chrome.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. But although Chrome is one of the best - if not the best - browser to use for all internet needs, don't you feel like the cache builds up very fast and ends up eating into your disk space quite easily? It happens a lot, especially if you go on sites that have a lot of videos and pictures, or sound bytes.