What kind of food do you feed your cats?

Discussion in Pets started by kat33 • Jun 2, 2012.

1. kat33

kat33New Member

Threads:
    I like to give my cats the best of the best because they are the love of my life! I feed my cats 'Origen' organic dry cat food. It sells in Canada at the local pet shop. I prefer to give them the best nourishment possible so they will live a long and healthy life. The brands sold at a local convenient store or market are very cheap and filled with bad ingredients. In the long run, it will make your pet sick and in turn cost you a lot of money in vet bills. Better to spend a little more on good food now and avoid the vet fees later! Not to mention the health and happiness of your beloved pet :) Just think if we ate McDonald's every day.. how would we feel?!?!

2. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to feed them a mix of dry and wet cat foods. I buy the regular hillcountry cat dinners, and the big bags of dry food every two weeks. I used
    sometimes feed them some regular tuna, cause they really like that, but it goes straight through them and gives off a strong melling bowel movement.
    I think its just way too much sodium for them.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We feed our cat Royal Canine - Siamese. Additional to that she gets a 1/4 tin tuna in water as a treat every day. Its amazing, she only eats the one brand of tuna. She refuses to eat any other, which makes me think what type of tuna they have in one brand that differs from the other as the ingredients on all the lables read the same.

4. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I always use the Purina Indoor cat formula. This is the type of food that my cats are not allergic to and it helps keep the hairballs down.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My fiancee and I feed the boys Iams weight and furball control. A friend of my fiancee's also had this nutritious and very healthy cat food that she would mix in their food once in a while. For wet food, she buys a very healthy can (I forgot the brand). We also give them catnip and vegetable cat snacks for after their nail trimmings or when they're absolutely adorable.

6. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    This is one I have been researching diligently for a few months now. My cat has feline asthma and I am trying to eliminate different things from his diet to find his triggers. I looked at Orijen but there is just no way I can afford it. I have found other foods that seem to rate just as high as Orijen like Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul food, based off the book I guess, and Taste of the Wild. Both of these brands have no fillers and no corn, which is the first item I am trying to eliminate. Right now I am feeding them 9Lives which isn't good for them at all. I also have to find them a wet food or begin making my own for them.

7. louisville1980

louisville1980New Member

Threads:
    We have been using Wellness products for our Persian for years and at 10 years she is still as active as a kitten. Wellness uses whole products like deboned chicken, cranberries, blueberries and on and on in their foods. Check them out.

8. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I feed my cats 9-lives or the new meow mix & friskies meat. I can't afford the premium catfood. Some of the premium cat food isn't always the best. If the 1st ingredient is a meat not meat by product then it's a good pet food.

9. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Typically I give my cats dry food, and they're very fine with that, they're quite healthy and happy, as well as lazy! I don't get the super cheap stuff, but I can't get the premium quality things either.

10. danjo

danjoNew Member

Threads:
    I used to feed my cats Special Kitty - a cheap Wal-Mart brand. However, after a few of my cats started developing health problems my veterinarian advised me to start feeding them Purina. Don't be cheap on your cat's food. If you love them you should purchase higher quality foods, your cats will love you for it. You'll save money in the long-run on vet bills.

Something else my veterinarian told me that I found interesting was that many wet cat foods contain unhealthy preservatives. He recommended actually adding water to his dry food every now and then. Weird?

11. Devonte

DevonteNew Member

Threads:
    Hi, comparatively dogs are more loving than cats but I've some of them. I love them and take care of them. So,
    once I tried Origen for my cattu, but didn't had good experience. Actually, it disturbed the cats' digestive system
    and they were suffering from motion. :/
    Origen is also bit expensive. I believe on organic food.

#11Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  12. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I feed my cats the Purina Indoor formula. This seems to work really well for me and this helps me in getting my cats to reduce the number of hairballs I was experiencing.

13. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    My one cat snubbed her nose up when I gave them a can of Simply Nourish I had from a demo. She wanted her 9-lives or Friskies. I was mazed she snubbed her nose ujp at Simply Nourish since it's an of the bone meat. It's smells and looks good enough for a human to eat, not that I would. So i go with what my cats will eat. Now my other cats don't care. They will eat anything that won't eat them first.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you that cheap cat food are filled with bad ingredients that will make your cat sick in the long run. I have had this experience when I was regularly feeding our cat Whiskas, and he had acquired some stones that made urinating difficult for him. So when he lost his appetite I took him to the vet, and he inserted a catheter in my cat's organ and after several weeks he had regained his appetite and became healthy again. So from that day on I never fed him commercial cat food, and I just fed him table food. He's been with me for 8 years now. :D

15. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    My cats love Friskies by Purina. They prefer that compared to Whiskas. But I only buy the dry food most of the time and give them wet food once in a while only.