What Kind Of Oil Do You Find You Use The Most?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Jul 6, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've found extra virgin olive oil is the one that I constantly use (& admittedly overuse). If I had to choose a second it would be hot sesame oil but that would be less for cooking with & more for flavour. Do you have an oil that you go to for cooking? Does it vary concerning the temperatures you are cooking at? Do you use the same cooking oil when not cooking?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find I don't use oils much at all anymore. It's not necessary. I have olive oil and coconut oil in the house, but they're rarely used. I only used them before because "that's just the way it's done" lol, but nope..

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using extra virgin olive oil more than anything else when I cook. I have even started using it on salads and litely on bread instead of margarine or butter. The only frying we do is for french fries so we use vegetable oil to make french fries.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Extra virgin olive oil over here too. I have coconut oil too, but truth be told I use it far more for my skin than for cooking! I keep seeing recipes that recommend coconut oil and I’m sure I’ll get around to trying some of them… one of these days.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm an extra virgin abuser, as well. I don't use too many oils overall though, occasionally canola oil or sesame oil gets thrown in the mix but I'm not an over user of any other kinds, really.

6. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Almond, Olive and Coconut oil mixture is a perfect combination for making hairs shiny, healthy and protective from pollution. I use these oils before taking shaver, and found it a perfect tonic for my hairs.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often use coconut oil, and I use it for various things. It helps with a lot of things, and I am sure that there are even things that It assists with that I am not aware of. As far as cooking goes, I'll usually use butter before I use any sort of oil, unless whatever I am cooking specifically states that I am to use oil, or olive oil.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    EVOO and Canola.
    I find EVOO isn't great for cooking, I noticed it tends to burn and smoke, plus it's pricey.
    I use the Canola to cook with.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use extra virgin olive oil for everything. I don't ever think to use any other oil. However, I only use it for cooking and maybe to drizzle on salads. I also like to dip bread into a mix or olive oil and soy sauce, it's divine :) I have also used canola in the past. I like it, but I have always come right back to olive oil.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the EVOO to cook with, on salads with vinegar, and also mix a little of it into the cat food I make. I also keep vegetable oil on hand for recipes that call for it, and occasionally I substitute it for cooking and salads, when I'm running low on EVOO, since the vegetable oil is cheaper. I want to get some coconut oil and sesame oil, but they're also more expensive, so I default to the 2 I'm familiar with, until I've got more money.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    For cooking, I use unrefined noog, mustard or peanut oil. It depends on what I am cooking, because I match the flavors, or no flavor, like for baking. I use olive oil a whole lot too, but mostly for salads. I use unrefined sunflower seed oil for salads too. The temperature does make a big difference for me.

12. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    We don't use oils that much anymore but when we do we stick with EVOO. I have been wanting to try coconut oil but I'm afraid it may change the tastes of things and we I don't think we'd like coconut flavored anything. LOLOL

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly cook with Canola oil. Although I know Olive oil is better for you, and I like the flavor of it, there are still some dishes that I don't think the flavor goes well with too though. The other issue I have with Olive oil is that it's a bit thick, and it gets even thicker when you use it something like a pasta salad and refrigerate it. Plus Canola oil is so much less expensive than Olive oil, so when I want to deep fry something I don't feel so bad about using a whole bottle in the frying pan.

Aside from Canola and Olive oil, I do really like Peanut oil too - especially for making home made french fries. But like Olive oil, Peanut oil is a bit expensive where I live, so I only get it once in a while.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love organic sunflower oil. It's highly versatile. I use it a lot in desserts, as I am allergic to dairy products. I also like preparing my stir-fries with sesame oil. And then, there is also delicious, cold-pressed olive oil from Greece. :) Other favorites of mine are oils that are not suited for heating up, such as walnut oil, apricot kernel oil, and the beautiful mustard seed oil, which I often use in my salad dressings.

15. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I love using Olive oil and that is the one that we use the most of but it can get expensive. I have tried the blend of olive oil and sunflower and let me tell you that that was the worst taste ever!!

16. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Olive oil for any salad and roasting and other uses for me.
    Coconot oil for hydrating my skin etc! :D

17. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I find myself using olive and and canola oil often. I like the results of how my food taste. It always crispy and it turns out well. I use to use just regular Crisco oil but my food would always takes a bit oily. I like that olive and canola oil are better for your health than some oils. I find that a lot of people use olive oil as a skin protector. I just find these two oils and use them daily.

18. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    stacyje...! I would say these two oils are good for a person who wanna use on regular basis.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Either olive oil or canola oil! When I make my baby some food, I usually lean towards the olive oil. For foods for the whole family, I use canola oil. I think both are good options as opposed to ordinary cooking oil.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like sunflower oil for frying and olive oil for dressings. I find that the texture and floavour of olive oil is too strong for many foods and so prefer to cook with a lighter oil. You can't beat it on salads and with bread though.