What Kind of Person Makes a Career out of Working at McDonald's?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Jul 31, 2014.

1. AlexanderGoodman

AlexanderGoodmanNew Member

Threads:
    Just because someone is working there does not necessarily mean that they are miserable. Similarly, some people might not have a great deal of other options. It’s not like it is entirely humiliating, but I think that people perspectives are what really make a difference there. I doubt anyone does this because it’s what they truly aspire to be.

2. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Meh..that's all I can say after reading this thread. The original poster belongs to a sector of the human population that has a very low vibration and has been fully brainwashed into the illusory systematics of life. For shame. I feel sorry for the likes of you believing your opinion of what others choose to do and why holds more importance than it really does. For buying into a hierarchical system that is designed to keep you ignorant to something...your brain probably can't even fathom so I won't try.

What I will say is this. You may see where someone is for a moment of time in their life and make a sweeping judgement but it doesn't make it an accurate one. You being on the other side of that counter doesn't make you better than them. You do not know where they have been, who they really are when you don't see them at McDonald's and where they may be headed. I'd be careful looking down on anyone for career choices as you did in such a haughty fashion. The laws of the universe have a way of taking certain things we say and turning the table to teach you the answer to these types of questions.

What is this collective ignorance on where everyone should be at a certain age like we all should be programmed robots following the same directions? That is a rhetorical question. I know the answer. Live and let live people. Have a good day!

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. I am an AMAZING actor! I write all the stuff I wrote, and you are convinced---duped into believing that I "have a very low vibration & am fully brainwashed into the illusory systematics of life." And yes, "others' opinion of what others choose to do and why" DOES matter because those opinionated others will use their opinions to decide how much power to give---like President Barack Obama: whether-or-not he's the foreign-born imperialist Muslim Antichrist people might think, I voted for him for no other reason than "because he was a college-professor."

4. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Hit dogs will holler. @mythman@mythman you just proved my assessment of you to be right. I hit the nail on the head even better than I thought about you. You see a brown girl in an avatar reading you and bring up Obama. Yes yes yes, you have proven my point my dear. Carry on in your bliss.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You're exactly wrong. But you're going to continue in your duped bliss as you assume I will in mine. You've proven my point to, brown girl.

6. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I don't think people aspire to work as a food chain cashier but yes I could see people wanting to be a manager. Why not? It's easy work plus benefits, and now they are paying minimum wage $9 hour. There are towns where the only place to get a job is either Walmart or McDonald's. The way I see it is a job is a job. When there are mouths to feed your only option is to take what you can get and not get upset.

I too agree- be smart start off as a server, then management, then corporate, or maybe your own franchise! Working at Mcdonalds may not require a degree but I'm sure it requires a whole lot of patience.

7. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    What kind of person makes a career out of working at Mcdonald's? What kind of question is that? A responsible person will work wherever they can to get the bills paid. A job is a job. Plus I hear that Mcdonald's can be a wonderful place to be. They offer benefits and promotions just like any other place. I would be proud to work anywhere these days as long as I'm not somewhere stressed out because I don't know how I would feed my kids.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would never want to work for mc Donald if it meant working for very less money. I do believe one must be really careful while choosing their job.

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have to criticize that response (for nearly the same reason(s) people have been criticizing my original post of this thread :p). There are people who make 'very-good money' in fast-food labor-positions (maybe not 'upper-class level'-money, but 'above cost-of-living' ... most of them).

The only thing to consider when choosing a 'job' (as opposed to a 'career') is 'whether-or-not you're satisfied spending your time "doing the job" for "the amount the employer is contractually giving you."' ('Choosing a career' is almost the same, except 'your employer' might better be 'most employers' & you might add the question "& is this what you want to be publicly remembered-as?"

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Is working at McDonalds not the same as working anywhere? You work, they pay you. You work harder, they pay you more. End of the day a job is a job and people need to get out of the mentality that certain jobs are beneath them.

A lot of people work at McDonald's to pay their way through college or to earn a bit of extra income to mak ends meet. If they enjoy it, and find they are good at it then why not choose it as a career path?

Not everybody can be, or even wants to be a doctor or a lawyer, some people are just happy working and earning a living.

11. NikkiR

NikkiRMember

Threads:
    I have a cousin who started working at Burger King when he was in high school. he has made his way up the company chain and now does some kind of test kitchen design work(not sure of the details). He is the sole bread winner for his family and they are doing very well. Working In fast food can be a career as long as you don't stay in the stores the whole time.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure why people have this mindset that people who work for McDonald's or any fast food restaurant are not worthy of being considered a high functioning component to society. Why should a person who is earning an honest living should be ashamed of where they work because people look down on them? Getting into management at a McDonald's is not easy and it is demanding. Once you hit a certain level, you have to attend classes at Hamburger University. They have an extensive training program for their store managers and they offer very competitive salaries and benefits. Someone has to serve people who want to eat at restaurants and a lot of them do it with compassion and sincerity so we should be thankful and respectful to them.

13. doxie

doxieNew Member

Threads:
    Having a job is not the same as having a career. A job is a way of earning money, while a career is comprised of all your experience & training in a specific field. I suppose that there are people that aspire to become branch managers, or maybe they're content with being cashiers. You never know. There's so much variety in humans. It makes life more interesting.

To each their own!

14. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Back in the years when I was around 17 years old I was kinda interested on working t McDonald's, after some time looking for information to feed my self interest and knowledge about what I was going to be facing, a lot of people told me that it was not the best job and it was somehow a derpy job according to the payments and how hard the work was to get that low ammount of money, after a lot of people told me that my interest on working at McDonald's was gone and here I am, studying electrical engineery.

15. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I would think working at McDonalds is a sought after job. You need no experience to start and there are endless opportunities for advancement. I have a friend that started working at a McDonald's for extra money while attending High School. 15 years later he has worked his way up to regional manager and now controls 12 different stores. I respect people that are able to work hard enough to achieve their goals.