What kind of pet do you prefer and why?

Discussion in Pets started by katharinemae • Mar 27, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the best pet to get a child started on is a cat. Dogs require so much more attention and responsibility and it's nice to think your child will learn all that through your pet, but that's a lot to put on the child and the pet.. they need to learn responsibility in stages through you, not an animal that relies on it for love, attention and health. A cat won't care if the child loses interest and doesn't go for walks or plays outside. The most responsibility the child will need to keep up on is feeding it. And litter if you want to go that far.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think cats make a good pet for kids, but I have a dog right now and he's a little clown that cheers us up. Dogs can be a good pets for older kids like my teen but they're a lot of work for younger kids.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am from a family of dog lovers. All through childhood I had dogs, though my parents have each had other pets, including fish, birds and cats. I think dogs are great companions as they are interactive. They are also much more trainable than cats, but all pets are like children that never grow up and become independent so you have to be willing to put in the work - and the money!

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to have a dog. Actually, I have had dogs before but now I live in a strictly dog-unfriendly neighbourhood, so I have make do with other pets. My loyal companion now is Shintaro, a blind cat.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I love dogs and I can't deny it. I love Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Greyhounds, Great Danes and Boxers...and that's not all, I love several other types of dogs. I am also fond of birds-all kinds of domestic birds. However, I don't like cats that much, and I really can't say why,except that they are just not my kind of pets. Cats are really cute animals but I don't think you can do much fun stuff with a cat like what you would do with a dog or a bird. Hamsters aren't a favorite either, they look too much like rats! lol.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of hamsters at the moment. Yes, they are not really that much fun. Most of the time, they just sleep. And they don't get on with each other. So when they are not sleeping, they are fighting.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love animals and growing up, we always had both cats and dogs in the home. But as I've got older and moved away from home, I've never committed to owning my own pet(s). If I were to have one, it'd be a dog (or two), for sure. I prefer dogs because they're loyal and as we all know, they're man's best friend :) I also honestly feel dogs are warmer, more affable and have a better disposition than say cats.