What kind of toys can I buy my dog that will be durable?

Discussion in Pets started by smlewis00 • Jan 12, 2014.

1. smlewis00

smlewis00Member

Threads:
    My dog loves to play with dog toys! The only problem is, she tears them all up! The toys never last for more than a few days. I even buy the nice expensive ones! If they are plush, she tears all of the stuffing out. If they are balls, she tears them into pieces. With tennis balls, she rips all of the "fur" off of them. Her teeth are so sharp, she shreds everything! I have bought toys from Petco and PetSmart, thinking the quality would be better and she would not be able to tear them up as quick. I was wrong.
    What kind of toys can I buy my dog that will be durable? Where can I buy them at? Any suggestions?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Judging from your description, I believe the problem is with your dog. It seems like your dog is quite aggressive and having dog toys doesn't seem like the best option for it. Since your dog likes to chew so much, have you given it a chewing bone? These "bones" are meant for dogs to chew on them and are known to be very durable.

3. dapapas

dapapasNew Member

Threads:
    Check out Kong.

They make all kinds of different sizes and types. I have a Weimaraner. Those guys chew up tin cans if you let them. She hasn't been able to destroy the Kong I bought her.

They're very durable. They even have some that you can put treats in.

You should be able to find the brand at any pet store.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In the market there are different proposals to keep your dog entertained . You've experimented with various options but I think you must continue in the search for the perfect toy. Here I share with you some options:

Kong: It's a kind of rare cone with two holes of different sizes. The fun is that Kong is filled with food and is very strong, so that the dog can be for a long while gnawing on the toy. We fill so that the catch dog has a prize immediately. And if you're wondering why this toy is so great is because dogs instinctively bring pleasure to gnaw things.

Dogpyramid: This is another alternative. Is a cone, but in this case only has a hole and the base is very heavy, so that it allows the toy oscillating while it hits the dog. It is much easier to use for us than before, but not for your dog, which amazed with its mechanism. Very useful if you want to have the dog entertained if we can ignore her or leave her alone.

Tug-a-Jug: This is a super tough plastic bottle with a rope inside and reinforced with rubber nozzle. The base unscrews and the dog can get prizes. The dog can play with bottle throwing it, nibblingit and trying to get the prizes pulling the rope, ...This toy is designed especially for anxious dogs.

I hope these three options are useful for you and your pet. Different materials for a single purpose: to have fun. :D

5. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I have to agree with everyone that says Kong. I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that was an expert at shredding toys. She also loved to rip up an empty two liter bottle in a matter of seconds. But she never managed to tear up a Kong toy. Iirc, Kong also has a version that you can fill with peanut butter, and it keeps the dog occupied for awhile, trying to lick out the peanut butter.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My aunt's dog is like that! She will tear anything up. My new puppy still didn't destroy anything which I'm thankful for, but I don't know if he will start doing that eventually.
    But back to my aunt's dog, I find that those "rope and tug" toys are the ones that last the longest, by far! Try buying the really sturdy, thick ones that have the ropes really tight. Make no mistake, your dog might just tear those apart too, but it will probably take him way longer!!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that you try Nylabone, we have been using the same bone for many years now and to different dogs at that, so that goes to show it's durability. But then again our dogs aren't that ruthless in biting things, so I don't know how long it will survive if your dog uses them. Here's the site of Nylabone so that you can check it out:

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    There are some GREAT toys for aggressive chewers. I don't know the name of the brand anymore, the label is gone. They are flat, they do have a squeekie, but they are flat with no stuffing. They 'come' in a fox, raccoon and squirrel and I think more. We have a raccoon and a fox.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If Kong isn't your style (or even if it is), want I to put out the reminder:

Tennis balls are great!!

Even dogs who chew up toys, love tennis balls. They may or may not tear up the tennis balls even, but they're so cheap that it's easy to replace them, so long as you're careful with not letting your dog actually ingest the bits.

10. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I agree with Kong toys, since they are made of slippery rubber. Be careful to choose one that has more than one hole in them, or the suction force can suck your dog's tongue in, causing horrendous swelling which means you will have to go to the vet and have the tongue removed. There's a lot of horror stories surrounding that, so get one that cannot suck in the tongue.

Nylabone is another one, since they are flavoured, by in my experience, they don't last very long and you'll need a new one every few weeks or so, or maybe every week if your dog is really an avid chewer.

11. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I like Nylabone and Kong toys. They lasted a bit longer than others. My puppy is 9 months old, and he has shred all the plush toys and some other, but the Nylabone and Kong are still in good shape. I got the one that I can put the treats inside, and he has a great long time entertaining himself with it.