What Kind Of Utensils?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Decentlady • Dec 24, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have found with experience that buying microwave friendly utensils are more cost effective than buying regular ones.

Things like plates, cups and dishes that are say made of Tupperware are just a blessing. I can heat, warm, boil, bake (in microwave), store in fridge and reheat using the same utensil. This has helped greatly in saving the dish washing soap as only one utensil is used multi purposely.

Do you make use of such utensils to save money?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't currently own those types of utensils as I don't own a microwave or oven right now. I used to do that all the time when I used to live with my parents and not only did it save money but time too.

I think doing so cut the expenses in half and also meant less time washing dishes. I love tupperwares, they are so covinient.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I use them because they don't break easily either. You can mistreat them as much as you want and they will be brand new. Also, I like them because they can be used to store food as well, at least for the containers. They're deeper and wider which give more space for storing food. You can purchase a box full of those utensils for 10 dollars around here.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is welcome and appreciative breakthrough as far as technology is concerned. Kitchen utensils have now their own usage which is compatible for the microwave. I am hoping someday that I could have my own microwave cooker or oven too for easy cooking and cost-saving culinary job.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our usual microwave utensils are the plastic items. They are cheap and easy to dispose of. However, we also have the set of pyrex. Our plates, cups and saucers are pyrex and microwavable so we do not use the plastic container all the time. The pyrex plate is not consumable and proven clean with the food unlike the plastic containers.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am very skeptical about using plastic plates to reheat the food. As mentioned by @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I think utensils made out of borosilicate glass is safer and good for our health. Food grade microwavable containers are good for storing food items but frequent reheating and boiling food in them is not recommended. Even though companies claim that there is no harm doctors usually do not recommend that. Good glass containers are available to use in microwave ovens but most of them are costly. I think we should not compromise our health for saving money.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been using microwave for my food, I was skeptical about this machine for the radiation emitted. Just recently I finally decided to get one which I am yet to put to use. Reading from your post @Decentlady@Decentlady I am actually going to consider getting some of the microwave friendly utensils.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do that too having the same utensils for everyday as well as for microwave ovens when we had one. Now we don't have a microwave oven. We eat rice so it was so good that Mom said just steam leftover rice no problem! We have Pyrex too from my Mom's days. Saving money using for everyday use as well as over or microwave oven use is wonderful!

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could use plastic utensils for regular use!

They are durable, easy-to-handle, multipurpose, and non-breakable. In spite of that, I do avoid because even the food grade plastics are believed to be carcinogenic and reheating makes the thing worse. I occasionally use plastic containers though to store dry stuffs.